Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Xmas

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-20-2017, 08:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR Keith Craft 408
Not Ranked     
Default Put the Cobra on the Dyno

Some of y'all may remember a post a made awhile ago about getting the power to the ground: Getting the power to the wheels. Since this time I discovered a broken lifter in the front driver side cylinder. The push rod had disconnected and was probably running on 7.5 cylinders. I ordered all new lifters, and got the car back together. After the learning curve of valve adjustment,and fighting header bolts that don't want to stay tight, I got the car running pretty good. I think I can get a few more ponies out of her. I need to fine to timing, new cap and rotor, new plugs, and check the throttle cable. To be honest with you guys, whoever put this motor in could've done a much better job. I've had to correct a lot of little errors under the hood, and there is still more corrections to do. I dynoed about 5 times adjusting the fuel mixture screws by a 1/2 turn until I got the highest hp. Ended up being 1.5 turns. It's a Keith Craft 408 with ~1700 on the clock. Anyways here you go:

https://imgur.com/a/fC9xu

A video:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...B1bC1zUHJJLWN3
LoBelly likes this.

Last edited by Xmas; 02-20-2017 at 08:06 PM..
Old 02-21-2017, 06:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #91 with 345 HP 302
Not Ranked     

Looks like a fun set up for the street for sure! Keep us posted. I too got my Backdraft second hand, so I always wonder about anything I was not involved in...even though it has not given me any reason to wonder. Still.....
Old 02-22-2017, 03:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: VMS BDR - 5.0 Aluminator - Whipplecharged
Not Ranked     

What were the final dyno numbers?
Old 02-22-2017, 05:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fordstroker 408w custom solid roller-Craft ported Brodix 17*heads-CFM ported Vic Jr. intake-1 3/4 primaries- 575hp-TKO-600RR Liberty upgrade- -Moser 8.8 trutrac-McLeod Street Extreme--QA-1-Wilwood brakes, Classic Chambered 3" Cobrapacks, Avon's
Not Ranked     

Not bad and remember a mustang Dyno reads lower than a DynoJet. probably 410RWHP and 480FWHP. Just numbers of course and a nice tuning aid :-) Good Luck and have fun
Old 02-22-2017, 09:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SwtRide View Post
What were the final dyno numbers?
392rwhp 400ftlbs should be the last graph.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RET_COP View Post
Not bad and remember a mustang Dyno reads lower than a DynoJet. probably 410RWHP and 480FWHP. Just numbers of course and a nice tuning aid :-) Good Luck and have fun
Yeah, I don't know what to think since the engine dyno showed 530. I'm thinking if I want more power it will have to be a different motor.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fordstroker 408w custom solid roller-Craft ported Brodix 17*heads-CFM ported Vic Jr. intake-1 3/4 primaries- 575hp-TKO-600RR Liberty upgrade- -Moser 8.8 trutrac-McLeod Street Extreme--QA-1-Wilwood brakes, Classic Chambered 3" Cobrapacks, Avon's
Not Ranked     

I read the first graph at 366RWHP somehow I missed the last two. In that case you can add at least 30 to those numbers I gave you. Now you have the power!
Old 02-23-2017, 05:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
Yeah, I don't know what to think since the engine dyno showed 530. I'm thinking if I want more power it will have to be a different motor.
Numbers are numbers. The sooner that guys realize that dynos are for incremental tuning, the sooner that they'll quit chasing numbers.

You can take your engine to 5 different engine dynos and get 5 different numbers. You can also take your car to 5 different chassis dynos and get 5 different numbers.

If the engine behaves the way you want, don't sweat the numbers. Remember, you have drivetrain losses and you also have exhaust losses because of less than efficient Cobra header/sidepipe designs. It's common place to see 100+ hp difference between engine and chassis dynos on Cobras.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: VMS BDR - 5.0 Aluminator - Whipplecharged
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
392rwhp 400ftlbs should be the last graph.
Very nice!

John
Old 02-23-2017, 09:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
Numbers are numbers. The sooner that guys realize that dynos are for incremental tuning, the sooner that they'll quit chasing numbers.

You can take your engine to 5 different engine dynos and get 5 different numbers. You can also take your car to 5 different chassis dynos and get 5 different numbers.

If the engine behaves the way you want, don't sweat the numbers. Remember, you have drivetrain losses and you also have exhaust losses because of less than efficient Cobra header/sidepipe designs. It's common place to see 100+ hp difference between engine and chassis dynos on Cobras.
I'm not really chasing numbers, but they translate to performance potential. I'd really like the car to be able to crack 10s, but highly doubt it will. Right now my issues with the car are brakes, and tires. I don't have enough traction, and the brakes are soft. I need to top time at the local auto cross.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

A 500 hp Cobra will have enough horsepower to get into the 10's. I have 500 hp engines in Fox Mustangs that will hit the 10's...

Tags
408, backdraft, dyno, keith craft