Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Grey 65
  • 2 Post By Grey 65
  • 2 Post By Grey 65
  • 1 Post By Grey 65

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2018, 06:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Backdraft camber plates

I've been looking for camber plates and the E36 plates all appear to be clocked 30 deg off for the Backdraft (two outbd studs are parallel to the centerline of the car on the BDR)

The E30 plates appear to be clocked correctly and both models (E30 & E36) share the same spring seat bolt pattern but even then I'd installing them on swapped sides to make them work it appears (two studs are inboard and parallel on the E30 installation).
https://www.chicanemotorsport.com/v/...ccpe30SP-2.jpg

All that being said I seem to remember seeing a Ground Control camber plate for a BDR photo on this site recently but now lost it or maybe my mind...
Old 04-14-2018, 09:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft SBF-302
Not Ranked     

Maybe this isn't helpful, but I called down to BDR/Iconic.

Although the website indicates no stock, they said they always have them.

Disadvantage: the upright mounts without a strut top bushing, so there is less road isolation. Also added caster adjustment from them too, there is no grease fitting or way to lubricate, FYI.

Roy
Old 04-14-2018, 09:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thank you I will. Hopefully Brian can email a Pic or 2 as well.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think I'll continue researching other camber plate options. Backparts.com is closed down and moved to Iconicparts.com Emails and phone calls to Iconic are unanswered. Nothing has really changed with the opening of the new site.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #888, Keith Craft 408
Not Ranked     

The Backdraft camber plates are your only option. I have been running them for a little over 3 years now.

Top pic is camber plates with crappy shocks.
Bottom pic is with JRi double adjustables.
Attached Images

SGwick likes this.

It isn't how fast your car can go
It is how fast your car can change direction

Home of Fake Snake Racing
Old 04-18-2018, 05:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Kevin! Those do look great. I guess I'll cool out for a bit and hopefully Backdraft will get around to replying.
I'm so used to Aviation where everything is measured in minutes and adjusting to the response time of days/weeks in automotive is hard to change my mindset.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You should call Jay at Vintage (Cashburn).... See if he can help you.... Only communicate with Boynton Beach if Jay can’t help you....

Jay and his brother Brian are the Backdraft experts.... I snapped a half shaft racing in AZ and needed a new one within a week for a race in TX. Boynton Beach wasn’t going to get one to me in time. I called Jay, he didn’t have an extra one in stock. The only ones they had were installed on cars.... I am not going to say Brian pulled one off a car and Jay shipped it to me, but I did win the race in TX that week...
BDR_Boy and Rernst like this.

Old 04-25-2018, 02:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I contacted Jay's shop and per usual Jay was quick to respond. Unfortunately he has zero stock on the camber plates and they're not fast movers.
I did get a hold of Perry @ Iconicparts and they are zero bal as well. He is contacting Reg on the timeframe for the next batch to be made.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdbrake View Post
I contacted Jay's shop and per usual Jay was quick to respond. Unfortunately he has zero stock on the camber plates and they're not fast movers.
I did get a hold of Perry @ Iconicparts and they are zero bal as well. He is contacting Reg on the timeframe for the next batch to be made.
Congratulations on making contact with Boynton Beach.... Mark it down as a historic event.

I'm pretty sure Boynton Beach has shown out of stock since I got mine.

I've always told Jay if I win the Powerball I will buy Backdraft and put him and Brian in charge...
BDR_Boy and Rernst like this.

Old 05-10-2018, 11:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Perry got back to me and they have the plates instock and I just ordered a set.
$299, $320 shipped. I ordered race versions due to the strut piston dia I already have installed.

I must say his communication is spot on and quick on response time/photos/info. I'm very happy with the service.

They have them on the ICONIC website now.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #260 w/ 347 stroker, Canfield 195 cc heads, prosystems carb on a VicJr, Comp roller cam
Not Ranked     

Nice reading about adjustable camber plate!
Keven, can you tell me more about the JRI double adjustable front shocks? I don't like the feel of the fronts that i have now...think I put in KYB's years back.
BDR#260...21.6K miles logged as of 4/2018
www.motorheadsohio.com We are an engine machine shop, specializing in crankshafts!
47 years of doing business an going strong! stop on by for a personal tour of the shop
Old 05-11-2018, 06:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Will the jri struts work with the stock plates, and how stiff are they?
Old 05-14-2018, 06:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamanaco View Post
Nice reading about adjustable camber plate!
Keven, can you tell me more about the JRI double adjustable front shocks? I don't like the feel of the fronts that i have now...think I put in KYB's years back.
JRi front struts are fully double adjustable for compression and rebound. As are the JRi shocks I have in the rear. Only JRi has a strut that will work on our cars. Penske has shocks only and they are inferior to JRi at the moment.

The JRi strut insert will not fit inside the skinny stock strut housing. You will need the race strut housing from BDR. The top of the housing will have to be modified, but once done it looks factory and performs like nothing else.

Do not contact JRi directly. You need to contact JJ Furillo owner of Ultimate Performance (610)790-4071... Suspension-tuning for High Performance - Ultimate Performance

Tell JJ you have a Backdraft and that Kevin Daigle sent you. He will pull up my file and he will then know the part numbers required to build a setup for you. You can get the race housings from Miami or JJ can get for you from them.

To adjust you just turn little knobs at the top.. You can adjust for whatever driving conditions required. You will want to change to stiffer springs in front and rear, the factory stuff is WAY too soft. How stiff will depend on what you want to do with the car. Please email me here for more info if needed...
SGwick likes this.

Last edited by Grey 65; 05-14-2018 at 08:13 AM..
Old 05-14-2018, 07:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #260 w/ 347 stroker, Canfield 195 cc heads, prosystems carb on a VicJr, Comp roller cam
Not Ranked     

Kevin, thanks for the response and the info. It sounds like you got one h*ll of a get setup Backdraft!
BDR#260...21.6K miles logged as of 4/2018
www.motorheadsohio.com We are an engine machine shop, specializing in crankshafts!
47 years of doing business an going strong! stop on by for a personal tour of the shop
Old 05-14-2018, 08:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gallegos View Post
Will the jri struts work with the stock plates, and how stiff are they?
No, you will need the Backdraft camber plates.

You will also need the Backdraft strut race housings which will need machining at the top which JJ will do. You cannot use stock strut housings as the insert is larger in diameter.

Old 05-26-2018, 12:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Installed the camber plates and new KYB shocks yesterday. Drives a lot better now.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: