Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-08-2020, 09:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft
Not Ranked     
Default Registering New Build

I posted this over here hoping to get a little more insight.

VMS recently completed #2064 and I could not be happier. Now comes what is turning into a pain in the rear. I assumed that since this is a manufacturer built vehicle with an MSO that the registration would be pretty straight forward. I guess I am wrong. Being told by the tax office that I will need to have an inspection done by Missouri Highway Patrol and state will issue a completely new VIN. Not really happy about having to attach a new VIN plate to the car.

Can anyone give me some insight on registering a new build in the state of MO.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-08-2020, 01:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR build #983, FRM 392
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGuy View Post

VMS recently completed #2064 and I could not be happier. Now comes what is turning into a pain in the rear. I assumed that since this is a manufacturer built vehicle with an MSO that the registration would be pretty straight forward. I guess I am wrong. Being told by the tax office that I will need to have an inspection done by Missouri Highway Patrol and state will issue a completely new VIN. Not really happy about having to attach a new VIN plate to the car.

Thanks in advance.
Count your blessings that you don't live in the Republic of California!
Old 12-08-2020, 02:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

In some ways the People's Republik is easier to navigate than some other states because CA has done a fairly well documented procedure because they've done it so many times. Other states don't have people up front in the DMV places that know so you can get misdirected or incorrect info and do several resets. If you're lucky someone here knows a good facility to visit that will streamline the process.

Middle states tend to be fairly easy though especially if you don't have egregious emissions requirements.
Old 12-08-2020, 02:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance , Roush 427SR dyno'd at 526 hp
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
In some ways the People's Republik is easier to navigate than some other states because CA has done a fairly well documented procedure because they've done it so many times. Other states don't have people up front in the DMV places that know so you can get misdirected or incorrect info and do several resets. If you're lucky someone here knows a good facility to visit that will streamline the process.

Middle states tend to be fairly easy though especially if you don't have egregious emissions requirements.
Nothing is easy in the People’s Republik of Kalifornia. If you are lucky to find an employee (you probably noticed I did not use worker since few work) who gives a damn the process will go better but not easy like. This state is so wrapped around their regs and rules that even the best are hindered. All praise Gruesome Newsome for continuing this BS
Old 12-08-2020, 02:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGuy View Post

Thanks in advance.
It's not a manufacturer built vehicle. It comes from the manufacturer (BDR) as a roller. An unfinished kit car. Then it goes to VMS - or whoever - to be finished.

If the car has an MSO, then you have to go through all the steps of registering a kit car. Don't let them suck you in to a salvage title or a rebuild. It's a kit car or a home built car.

Because it is a whole new car, it now needs a VIN before it can be titled. So you do have to go through all that mess.

Some BDR's came out of FL with an actual title. The title has a VIN on it. Then it's just like buying a used car from another state.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 12-08-2020, 04:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

From the SEMA site
Missouri
https://www.semasan.com/semaga/TagTitleToolbox_MO.pdf
All states
https://www.semasan.com/resources/ev...-all-50-states
Old 12-09-2020, 02:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the insight. Jay from Vintage sent me some informative info to get me rolling. Luckily I have dealer tag I can drive on because it looks like I will have to have the state issue me a new vin plate and vin number before I can even get it licensed. They said it could be a couple months because of a back log of paperwork from covid.
Old 12-11-2020, 04:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft RT4 - #2145
Not Ranked     

So if you have already paid sales tax on the roller when you buy it from BDR, do you have to pay sales tax on the roller part of the completed car when registering at the DMV?
Old 12-11-2020, 05:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird123 View Post
So if you have already paid sales tax on the roller when you buy it from BDR, do you have to pay sales tax on the roller part of the completed car when registering at the DMV?
Depends on what state received credit for the sales tax. Some states offer a credit for tax collected by other states.
Old 12-12-2020, 07:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, Roush 402R
Not Ranked     
Talking Registration

As jay can verify I FEEL YOUR PAIN ,me and him jumped through hoops in Texas too do mine and really what saved me was ONE employee that took the time to read their manual and found the answer , One thing that got my ball rolling was doing the state inspection first, once you have that piece of paper things move fairly easy . Did mine as a roadster less than 2500 pounds aND I USED THE vIN from the car but this is Texas. it will eventually happen not sure in MO .
Old 12-13-2020, 08:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Went and had the inspection done at the Highway Patrol. Spent more time showing all the officers the car than the inspection took. Only issue was that the officer filled out the paperwork wrong. Showed everything saying the car was a 2020. I had to actual show him that the state of MO recognizes the car as a 1965 Roadster and not a 2020. This makes a pretty big deal on personal property taxes. Now to just keep my fingers crossed the state let's me use the existing VIN and not have to put a new VIN plate on.