Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By FredG

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-29-2019, 10:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Car #1209 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     
Default Free plastic tank

New tank is going in today. Another learning process involved the kind of rubber required to dealing with today's fuel and their effect on hoses. I have the plastic tank if anyone wants. I am here in NJ. If you are nearby and want it, come get it. I am not shipping it. I would be willing to drive a little to meet. I will hold on to it for a bit.

Fred

Old 12-30-2019, 09:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 manowar forged crank roller rockers . BIG CAM.
Not Ranked     

You all ready know what is going to happen. #1 you keep it forever and never use it #2 You get rid of it and need it the next day.
Old 12-30-2019, 01:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That is so true but I will hold onto it for a week or so and then cut it up. The aluminum one looks so much better and a snap to install.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR Iconic 427 (Dart SHP-Ford 351W)
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredG View Post
New tank is going in today. Another learning process involved the kind of rubber required to dealing with today's fuel and their effect on hoses. I have the plastic tank if anyone wants. I am here in NJ. If you are nearby and want it, come get it. I am not shipping it. I would be willing to drive a little to meet. I will hold on to it for a bit.

Fred

Fred

FredG, I have a new RT4 with a plastic tank. I too was thinking about replacing it with an aluminum tank. Glad to hear not that involved. May I ask why you replaced the tank? Was it leaking or did you have other problems with it? Gus
Old 02-29-2020, 05:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Hey Gus

I never liked the way it looked. When I was considering ordering a new one, both dealers recommended upgrading to the aluminum tank. One was Jay at VMS. I even offered it to him when I took it out but he said thanks they don't really use them. Some drilling is required but it's easy to get in. Gave me a chance to replace all the old filler tube hose and gas line hose along with the fuel filter that is back there. Looks much cleaner.
Old 03-01-2020, 07:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR Iconic 427 (Dart SHP-Ford 351W)
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredG View Post
I never liked the way it looked. When I was considering ordering a new one, both dealers recommended upgrading to the aluminum tank. One was Jay at VMS. I even offered it to him when I took it out but he said thanks they don't really use them. Some drilling is required but it's easy to get in. Gave me a chance to replace all the old filler tube hose and gas line hose along with the fuel filter that is back there. Looks much cleaner.
Thanks for the reply. If I had ordered the car, I too would have ordered the aluminum tank; however, this car I bought off the lot, with the plastic tank. I will probably replace it as well. Glad to learn that your decision to replace the tank was not due to a leak. Gus
Old 06-23-2020, 06:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #982 w/ Ford Racing 427 Inglese 8 Stack Injection
Not Ranked     

Who did you end up sourcing that tank from? Kinda looks like the one they have on the BDR site but the sump and welds look alot better on yours. Then again it could be older pictures that have not been updated. It good to see the later cars didnt have the bigger 6inch hole cut out for the pick up and block off plate like the 900-1100 cars. Next time I drop the tank I will have a aluminum one to put back in.
Old 06-24-2020, 06:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #272, 351W
Not Ranked     

The 2" hose that connects the tank to the filler neck started leaking on mine (a huge mess, but luckily tank wasn't full). I replaced it with another black fuel filler hose. The thing is, I don't believe that the black fuel filler hose is intended to be in constant contact with gasoline like the way it is set up on our cars. What is the safest hose, that won't degrade over time, to use at the tank-to-neck connection?
Old 06-24-2020, 07:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

Quentin,

I used marine fuel filler hose. It was rated for use with alcohol/gasoline blends. Miami probably has a bunch of places you can find some.

Tom
Old 06-24-2020, 07:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #272, 351W
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wells View Post
Quentin,

I used marine fuel filler hose. It was rated for use with alcohol/gasoline blends. Miami probably has a bunch of places you can find some.

Tom
Yeah, thought of that, it's probably the safest bet. I have extra on the boat, too bad its not 2"!
Old 06-24-2020, 03:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Tank

I bought it from Iconic Parts. Very easy to install. Four holes to drill.

Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucatiThunder View Post
Who did you end up sourcing that tank from? Kinda looks like the one they have on the BDR site but the sump and welds look alot better on yours. Then again it could be older pictures that have not been updated. It good to see the later cars didnt have the bigger 6inch hole cut out for the pick up and block off plate like the 900-1100 cars. Next time I drop the tank I will have a aluminum one to put back in.
Old 06-25-2020, 04:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #178 United Speed World Special
Not Ranked     

Damn another reason us old guys with OLD cars are happy with them. I'm finding out a lot of their upgrades need fixing.
Old 06-25-2020, 06:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Hose

This place has all kinds of hoses that are rated to stand up to the degradation that the crummy fuel now causes.

https://www.fillernecksupply.com/

Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin Z View Post
The 2" hose that connects the tank to the filler neck started leaking on mine (a huge mess, but luckily tank wasn't full). I replaced it with another black fuel filler hose. The thing is, I don't believe that the black fuel filler hose is intended to be in constant contact with gasoline like the way it is set up on our cars. What is the safest hose, that won't degrade over time, to use at the tank-to-neck connection?
Quentin Z likes this.