Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By SGwick
  • 1 Post By Mike_Gr
  • 1 Post By FredG

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-27-2022, 10:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Shocks and Steering Rack Upgrade for RT4

Was looking for some advice on shock and steering rack upgrades for my Backdraft RT4. I've called Backdraft and they say they don't have any suggestions so I'm hoping you all do.

My issues that I'm trying to correct are as follows:

Rear squats too much when turning hard under power and then snaps back when coming off the throttle.

Steering rack is too slow, approximately 3.5 turns lock to lock

So I'm looking for a coilover that will fit the RT4 and have a little stiffer springs but more importantly be rebound adjustable as the car needs more rebound dampening so it doesn't snap back so quickly when coming off the throttle.

Looking for a steering rack or steering quickener that is 2 to 1 or something similar. I feel like the car needs this because it has a tendency to snap sideways under power and a faster steering rack will make it much easier to catch the snap oversteer. Ideally having a rack that is 2-2.5 turns lock to lock would be so much better.

Thanks
Gary

Last edited by Kartracer; 06-27-2022 at 10:19 PM..
Old 06-28-2022, 05:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Since the RT4 is so new I've not read any posts covering those two subjects.
It appears Back Draft has stopped selling their track based cars as well.
I'm honestly surprised you got a response (someone answered the phone) at the Boynton Beach Backdraft shop.
The FB site Back Draft Owners Group is primarily focused on Tire stickers, and how can I get noticed issues.

Best bet is to reach out to Jay (aka Cashburn on this site) @ https://vintage-motorsports.com/ as they are always on the leading edge of BDR mods.
Also try Radical Roadsters in Tomball TX. James Yale is great to deal with .
Old 06-28-2022, 06:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

Some cobras have the flaming river rack. I have a manual flaming river rack on hand after installing a power rack in mine. I replaced it with a T bird rack which has about 2.5 turns. It works fine for me. I was autocrossing it. It works perfectly.
Old 06-28-2022, 06:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: VMS #2273
Not Ranked     

Hi Kartracer,

I just started to track my RT4 (still in break in period) but I also felt it was to soft and sat/rolled in the turns too much/long. I switched out to higher rate springs (based on weights and coilover angles) recently and my next trackday is on 10 July (so we'll see). I only do HPDE stuff (no racing experience) so not pushing as hard as you in a SCCA race environment.

https://youtu.be/D99GtOHTzQU?t=227
mattbrowne and Kartracer like this.

Last edited by SGwick; 06-28-2022 at 07:10 AM..
Old 06-28-2022, 02:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

SGwick

Sounds interesting, let me know what happens. Nice track day!
Old 06-29-2022, 07:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGwick View Post
Hi Kartracer,

I just started to track my RT4 (still in break in period) but I also felt it was to soft and sat/rolled in the turns too much/long. I switched out to higher rate springs (based on weights and coilover angles) recently and my next trackday is on 10 July (so we'll see). I only do HPDE stuff (no racing experience) so not pushing as hard as you in a SCCA race environment.

https://youtu.be/D99GtOHTzQU?t=227
Very interested myself to see if the higher rate springs without better shocks that can handle the increased spring load will make it better or worse.

There should be quite a few options for shock now with the rear being a coilover. Fronts will be a bit limitled. I have had great luck as has Grey65 with an offering from JRI specifically ordered through JJ Furillo at Ultimate performance. He can custom fab a front mount or adapt yours to hold cartridges in the front and their builder serials shock with work for coilovers in the rear. I love this set up on my RT3.
Kartracer likes this.
Old 08-06-2022, 11:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ford DOHC
Not Ranked     

Is the T Bird rack electric?
Old 08-06-2022, 01:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Car #1209 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     
Default Rack

I converted to a BMW Z3 power rack. With a little ingenuity, you can do that yourself. 2.5 turns lock to lock. Outstanding improvement from the junk 3.5 manual rank. FYI, my car came with electric steering that the previous owner installed. I hated it. Felt like something from a luxury car. No real feedback.

Fred
SGwick likes this.