Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2023, 07:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default New Buyer Questions

Hi all. I just sold my FFR MKIV. Carmine Red, blacked out 427 Blueprint engine and IRS...what a great journey. I built the car in roughly 2 years, drove it for 3 years and just sold it for quite a bit more than I had in it. Not a bad run!

Anyhow, as I'm getting older, I still like to tinker, but not sure that I want to take on a full build again, as I was looking at the SLC and Ultima cars, which are pretty cool but long build times. That said, I'm missing Cobra world and might possibly look into getting a Backdraft RT4B, as I've always liked the attention to detail these cars have and had a few questions if you all would be so kind to answer.

First, I plan to install my own engine/trans, which is going to be a 7.2 liter Godzilla Stage 1 build, with the TKX trans. Should yield about 600HP to the crank which is plenty. Are the Backdraft rollers already equipped with fuel lines, brake lines and electrical harness run through the car, like a plug and play? If so, are these hard lines or PTFE? I've seen the Godzilla engine in couple of Backdrafts, so I would guess that BDR already knows what the engine mounts and header situation will look like?

Secondly, I had an IRS in my last Cobra that I installed. I've seen wording stating that BDR uses a BMW IRS and then I saw another where it stated an 8.8 Ford multi-link rear end? Can you all tell me what the current situation is there?

Lastly, I see that BDR has a $3K stereo option. I know, lots of opinions on having a sound system in a Cobra, but I did have one and it wasn't half bad. Was able to hear the highs and midrange at most any speed. Anyone know what this $3K investment look like?

Thats about it for now. Thanks for reading and perhaps I'll see some of you on the road!
Old 04-10-2023, 03:25 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Don't take this the wrong way, but are you really sure you want another Cobra, and not a late model Corvette?

Bill S.
Alfa02 likes this.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 04-10-2023, 05:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

While reading the OP's build list I didn't see any mention of power windows, power steering, air conditioning, cruise control, paddle shifting, traction control, heads up display.

Seems like he wants another Cobra.
DanEC, Joey.S and Macmaven2065 like this.

Last edited by HTM101; 04-10-2023 at 05:33 AM..
Old 04-10-2023, 05:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

The Super 8.8 is what I’d use.
With a C6/Gear Venders overdrive trans I’ve only got a 4” driveshaft and need an IRS.
The 8.8 is in the new E-M Gen 5, good enough for me.
About the stereo “What can’t hear ya?”. My real name is “HiWatt Wyatt”.
Macmaven2065 likes this.
Old 04-10-2023, 06:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTM101 View Post
While reading the OP's build list I didn't see any mention of power windows, power steering, air conditioning, cruise control, paddle shifting, traction control, heads up display.

Seems like he wants another Cobra.
I agree - just sound. Some people even put radios in new, original Cobras.
Macmaven2065 likes this.
Old 04-10-2023, 06:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
I agree - just sound. Some people even put radios in new, original Cobras.
I can see that in an under-car exhaust Cobra. Mine and its 3" i.d. side exhausts is just too loud for a music system.
Old 04-10-2023, 06:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

Beatbuds Pro X1.
A car without tunes?
What, am I in Hell???
Old 04-10-2023, 08:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

I never get tired of listening to the engine and that's music enough for me. I know there will never be agreement on this issue, so to each...
Joey.S and JTMCOBRA like this.
Old 04-10-2023, 08:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
Don't take this the wrong way, but are you really sure you want another Cobra, and not a late model Corvette?

Bill S.
Not a C8 fan by any stretch. C7 maybe. Cobra is an acquired taste.
Old 04-10-2023, 09:44 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Neutral     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macmaven2065 View Post
Not a C8 fan by any stretch. C7 maybe. Cobra is an acquired taste.
My question was an honest one.

As an acquired taste, why go so far off the beaten path as to choose a BDR over say an ERA or SPF? Then why put a 600hp motor into a car you'll have a difficult time putting that power down to the pavement? Not to mention being able to keep the car cool at anything but highway speeds. I've owned a few Cobras with 500+ HP at the rear wheels, great track cars, not so great on the street.

Stereo in a Cobra, in the 30+ Cobra I owned, I only had two with a stereo, one never got turned on, the other, turned on twice, then left off for the next 8,000 miles I owned the car. Hence my question as to whether a Corvette would be a better choice for your latest endeavor.

Bill S.
Alfa02 likes this.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 04-10-2023, 10:15 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Neutral     

Quote:
Hi all. I just sold my FFR MKIV. Carmine Red, blacked out 427 Blueprint engine and IRS...what a great journey. I built the car in roughly 2 years, drove it for 3 years and just sold it for quite a bit more than I had in it. Not a bad run!

Anyhow, as I'm getting older, I still like to tinker, but not sure that I want to take on a full build again, as I was looking at the SLC and Ultima cars, which are pretty cool but long build times. That said, I'm missing Cobra world and might possibly look into getting a Backdraft RT4B, as I've always liked the attention to detail these cars have and had a few questions if you all would be so kind to answer.

First, I plan to install my own engine/trans, which is going to be a 7.2 liter Godzilla Stage 1 build, with the TKX trans. Should yield about 600HP to the crank which is plenty. Are the Backdraft rollers already equipped with fuel lines, brake lines and electrical harness run through the car, like a plug and play? If so, are these hard lines or PTFE? I've seen the Godzilla engine in couple of Backdrafts, so I would guess that BDR already knows what the engine mounts and header situation will look like?

Secondly, I had an IRS in my last Cobra that I installed. I've seen wording stating that BDR uses a BMW IRS and then I saw another where it stated an 8.8 Ford multi-link rear end? Can you all tell me what the current situation is there?

Lastly, I see that BDR has a $3K stereo option. I know, lots of opinions on having a sound system in a Cobra, but I did have one and it wasn't half bad. Was able to hear the highs and midrange at most any speed. Anyone know what this $3K investment look like?

Thats about it for now. Thanks for reading and perhaps I'll see some of you on the road!
Perhaps these questions would best be aked of a BDR dealer?
mrmustang likes this.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 04-10-2023, 01:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Neutral     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
My question was an honest one.

As an acquired taste, why go so far off the beaten path as to choose a BDR over say an ERA or SPF? Then why put a 600hp motor into a car you'll have a difficult time putting that power down to the pavement? Not to mention being able to keep the car cool at anything but highway speeds. I've owned a few Cobras with 500+ HP at the rear wheels, great track cars, not so great on the street.

Stereo in a Cobra, in the 30+ Cobra I owned, I only had two with a stereo, one never got turned on, the other, turned on twice, then left off for the next 8,000 miles I owned the car. Hence my question as to whether a Corvette would be a better choice for your latest endeavor.

Bill S.
That's what makes horse races my friend. Unless of course you want to buy me one. Then I'll build it just like you like it. ERA bodies too original I guess is the best word? I like a little something modified. SPF are too expensive for me. BDR is in the sweet spot regarding price as well as modern touches. I listened to my stereo every drive. Not audiophile quality, but good enough to make the ride more enjoyable.

Last edited by Macmaven2065; 04-10-2023 at 09:07 PM..
Old 04-10-2023, 01:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Neutral     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
Perhaps these questions would best be aked of a BDR dealer?
I did today. So a couple of things in case anyone is curious.

Rollers come with everything setup, with fuel and brake lines run, as well as the harness. All plug and play. Give them the engine you want to install and they should have the proper engine mounts and headers setup.

Regarding the Godzilla engine, BDR is actually focusing on Stage 1 and Stage 2 setups (600-675HP), as they see them as big sellers in the future. They've already done 15 bodies with it, but it does require some mods with the oil pump and pan that they provide or you can do yourself.

The BMW rear end setup was abandoned for a Ford 8.8 multi link. Parts are easier to acquire and the 8.8 can handle more power than the BMW IRS. But they say that it still rides like an M3.

Stereo system is a 4 speaker BT setup with subs and digital display built into the car. BDR paid special attention to fit and finish so that it doesn't look out of place. I'm supposed to get some pics.

And finally, they now have a second gen GT body coming out that I'm supposed to get pics of, but haven't seen them yet.

Hope that helps.
Sargie, sunman and Bob K like this.

Last edited by Macmaven2065; 04-10-2023 at 01:34 PM..
Old 04-10-2023, 05:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Yo! Maven!

You belong to a growing subset of newbies that frequent the site here (at least for a while) with bushel baskets of questions that, when they receive answers, engage in a dialog exchange explaining why they would prefer not to do what the respondent to the question has offered.

You should start at your target replica supplier's dealer, get the answers to your replica mfgr-specific questions from the source, and then build your car the way you want it. It is, after all, your car.

When guys on the site offer you answers, opinions, and options to a replica build question you have posed and you challenge their, albeit opinionated responses, it begs the question, why did you bother to ask?

You should build your replica the way you want. If you like it when you're done, that's good — and pretty hard to beat! If it has good resale value — that's good. If it doesn't, then you have a valuable learning experience, and — that's good too! Of course, if you are unhappy with your build when you are done, you guessed it! That's good too! Just another learning experience and you're the beneficiary of the experience, which again is — good too!

In the end, you might have been able to learn all those good lessons a little less expensively but, the fact you didn't is also good — especially if you ever decide to do something this foolish again.
Sargie and Alfa02 like this.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 04-10-2023, 06:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

I "traded" my FFR for a BDR. I think I liked my FFR better.

Inspect the BDR body very carefully. Mine had a number of errors that were very expensive to fix.

It does come with a hard fuel line. ONE fuel line. And it's too small for the 7.2L engine. You can use that for a return line.

Opt for the EFI aluminum gas tank. It's pre cut for the Tanks Inc fuel pump.

The wiring harness is your basic chassis harness. There are no provisions for EFI. I even had to run another wire for the electric fuel pump. I'm not sure what the factory 7.2L harness is like. But adapting my factory Coyote harness to the BDR was a nightmare.

BDR used to come with an E-36 rear end. Now they use a late model Ford 8.8.

The same thing with the front suspension. Used to be all E-36. But now it's coil overs. Which I think is an improvement. The basic power brakes are just OK. Consider upgrading to Wilwoods.

The factory low back seats were very uncomfortable. I immediately replaced mine.
DealsGapCobra and Joey.S like this.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 04-10-2023, 08:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcowan View Post
I "traded" my FFR for a BDR. I think I liked my FFR better.

Inspect the BDR body very carefully. Mine had a number of errors that were very expensive to fix.

It does come with a hard fuel line. ONE fuel line. And it's too small for the 7.2L engine. You can use that for a return line.

Opt for the EFI aluminum gas tank. It's pre cut for the Tanks Inc fuel pump.

The wiring harness is your basic chassis harness. There are no provisions for EFI. I even had to run another wire for the electric fuel pump. I'm not sure what the factory 7.2L harness is like. But adapting my factory Coyote harness to the BDR was a nightmare.

BDR used to come with an E-36 rear end. Now they use a late model Ford 8.8.

The same thing with the front suspension. Used to be all E-36. But now it's coil overs. Which I think is an improvement. The basic power brakes are just OK. Consider upgrading to Wilwoods.

The factory low back seats were very uncomfortable. I immediately replaced mine.
Hey Bob. I think I remember you over from the FFR forums. Thanks for the feedback. I had thought about the fuel lines, as I ran 3/8" in my FFR instead of the standard 5/16" in case I ever wanted to convert to FI. Never did as the Quickfuel carb did awesome, BUT smelling like fuel all the time got old, so I'll go FI this time around. You'd think they'd run two lines if FI was selected as an option. I'll be sure to ask and I had planned to upgrade to the larger radiator as well as aluminum fuel tank. Not sure about a plastic one? Are the hard lines Nicopp or SS?

I'm surprised you had body issues if it had already been to paint? I'll be sure to check that out as well when the time comes. I'm close enough to their headquarters, so should be able to see it before it ships.

I like the coil overs and I never had power brakes, only steering, so should be an improvement. Thanks again for the feedback. Very helpful.
Old 04-10-2023, 08:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaider View Post
Yo! Maven!

You belong to a growing subset of newbies that frequent the site here (at least for a while) with bushel baskets of questions that, when they receive answers, engage in a dialog exchange explaining why they would prefer not to do what the respondent to the question has offered.

You should start at your target replica supplier's dealer, get the answers to your replica mfgr-specific questions from the source, and then build your car the way you want it. It is, after all, your car.

When guys on the site offer you answers, opinions, and options to a replica build question you have posed and you challenge their, albeit opinionated responses, it begs the question, why did you bother to ask?

You should build your replica the way you want. If you like it when you're done, that's good — and pretty hard to beat! If it has good resale value — that's good. If it doesn't, then you have a valuable learning experience, and — that's good too! Of course, if you are unhappy with your build when you are done, you guessed it! That's good too! Just another learning experience and you're the beneficiary of the experience, which again is — good too!

In the end, you might have been able to learn all those good lessons a little less expensively but, the fact you didn't is also good — especially if you ever decide to do something this foolish again.
What's up Ed! Thanks for the comments. Yes, everyone has an opinion, and that's ok. I'm not looking for someone to build my car, as I've been there, done that, and did so very successfully. My questions were around the Backdraft physical offering of the roller and not whether someone likes stereos, C8 corvettes or thinks cars overheat if they have over 500HP. None of those are answering the questions I asked. I did get the answers from BDR and posted them, so hopefully that will help another 'newbie' that comes along.

Last edited by Macmaven2065; 04-10-2023 at 08:56 PM..
Old 04-11-2023, 08:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Hey Bob. I think I remember you over from the FFR forums. Thanks for the feedback. I had thought about the fuel lines, as I ran 3/8" in my FFR instead of the standard 5/16" in case I ever wanted to convert to FI. Never did as the Quickfuel carb did awesome, BUT smelling like fuel all the time got old, so I'll go FI this time around. You'd think they'd run two lines if FI was selected as an option. I'll be sure to ask and I had planned to upgrade to the larger radiator as well as aluminum fuel tank. Not sure about a plastic one? Are the hard lines Nicopp or SS?

I'm surprised you had body issues if it had already been to paint? I'll be sure to check that out as well when the time comes. I'm close enough to their headquarters, so should be able to see it before it ships.

I like the coil overs and I never had power brakes, only steering, so should be an improvement. Thanks again for the feedback. Very helpful.
The fuel line is Ni-Cop.

Plastic fuel tanks are fine. Millions of cars have them without any problems.

Definitely go with the upgraded cooling. The cooling system can't ever be big enough.

Overall fit and finish is not very good. A few small errors in the paint here and there. But body parts don't fit quite like they should, so you end up with a lot of rub marks. There's a huge gap between the trunk and the rear deck. It requires two layers of weatherstripping to close it up.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 04-11-2023, 08:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, LS3
Not Ranked     

Love the stereo in my backdraft, mine was built in 2017 so not sure it is the same system. Have no issue hearing it over the loud exhaust. Not sure its the best thing for my ears but sometimes i just turn it off to hear the cobra roar. Options are great, if you are in the mood for music turn it on, if not turn it off. I have a ton of options on my cobra that people make fun of on here and they can all f%ck off, its my car, my life, my fun. And yes i own a corvette also LMAO
HTM101, Bitten21 and Macmaven2065 like this.
Old 04-11-2023, 04:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcowan View Post
The fuel line is Ni-Cop.

Plastic fuel tanks are fine. Millions of cars have them without any problems.

Definitely go with the upgraded cooling. The cooling system can't ever be big enough.

Overall fit and finish is not very good. A few small errors in the paint here and there. But body parts don't fit quite like they should, so you end up with a lot of rub marks. There's a huge gap between the trunk and the rear deck. It requires two layers of weatherstripping to close it up.
Thanks again Bob. I submitted some of those concerns today. I'm sure they can make some adjustments. Not as many 'rub marks' or gaps when we assembled our own eh?
bobcowan likes this.