Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Gaz64

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-15-2021, 07:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #360
Not Ranked     
Default Front Wheels Out of Position?

I changed my lower control arms and sway bar end links tonight and I noticed two things immediately. All parts that went on looked identical to the ones coming off.
1) The drivers side wheel seems like it is protruding out a little from where it normally be
2) The pass side wheel is positioned much closer to the front of the body

Is there something I obviously messed up, or a way to adjust these things?
Old 02-15-2021, 07:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Make sure the aft end of the control arms are fully seated in control arm bearing lollypops.

Also did you buy new bearing lollypops and if so did you buy a left and a right?
Those bearings effect your caster and shift the wheel in the opening fwd and aft.

Or possibly you have those bearings flipped.

Last thing. The lollypop bearing bushings you installed are the centered type and not the offset type? The offset type are for adding-removing caster and can cause what you described as well.

Last edited by spdbrake; 02-15-2021 at 07:43 PM..
Old 02-15-2021, 08:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdbrake View Post
Make sure the aft end of the control arms are fully seated in control arm bearing lollypops.

Also did you buy new bearing lollypops and if so did you buy a left and a right?
Those bearings effect your caster and shift the wheel in the opening fwd and aft.

Or possibly you have those bearings flipped.

Last thing. The lollypop bearing bushings you installed are the centered type and not the offset type? The offset type are for adding-removing caster and can cause what you described as well.
I ordered this kit and everything came together so I just replaced like for like. I assumed that the lollypop was correct for the side it was on.*Lollypops are seated as I just checked.

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Suspensi...0500023HD.html

Last edited by Mattsvtcobra; 02-15-2021 at 08:18 PM..
Old 02-15-2021, 08:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Somewhat wondering if the pass side has been like this and I never realized it. Here are some shots from Sept.

The first one is the drivers which was a pretty straight on, but the other 3 were barely off angles, but it looks like it may have been this way?
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2021, 04:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

How's the car drive? Steering cocked? Pulls left or right?
If not it was probably always like that.
Old 02-16-2021, 06:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Felt pretty solid. I didn't take the time and spin the wheel until it had the least amount of "up/down" as Im going to do it here shortly when I get new tires. So I had a little vibration that it felt like before I had the tire on in the least up/down position.

I think all is good.
Old 02-16-2021, 07:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I see another odd relationship there as well.
Note the LF wheel is centred, and the exhaust is towards the rear of the guard cutout. The RF wheel is forward, and the exhaust is towards the front of the cutout.
BDR0572 and hauss like this.

Gold Certified Holden Technician
Old 02-17-2021, 04:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #178 United Speed World Special
Not Ranked     

Curious question? What was the issue that made you need to change then in the first place?
Old 02-17-2021, 06:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz64 View Post
I see another odd relationship there as well.
Note the LF wheel is centred, and the exhaust is towards the rear of the guard cutout. The RF wheel is forward, and the exhaust is towards the front of the cutout.
Nice catch, never thought about that. Oddly that has been the case since day 1 when I got the car about a year ago. Not sure, but I have not noticed any weird issues caused by this? Any thoughts besides the body is shifted? Nothing looks bent on the frame, or anything that is stressed. Let me look for some pics of when the car was built and while another owner had it, but I think it's been that way for a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMLost View Post
Curious question? What was the issue that made you need to change then in the first place?
The car is a 2006 and has been pretty harsh over bumps or small uneven areas of the road. I did the struts and it didn't seem to help much. The ball joints and grease looking fittings were very worn out looking, so $200 for lowers and lollypops seemed to be a good idea. Talking to another BDR guy, he was curious how much better the ride was as he has seen a post or two where someone said the rubber bushing in the lolly pop in the BMW replacement parts are not so rigid and I confirmed that there looks to be quite a bit less material in that hockey puck sized bushing. A better ride for sure. A few guys have changed them out recently, maybe they will chime in too?

Getting the control arms out was kind of a pain in the tail, but I was able to finally get one side off and it made doing the other much easier. Whack it which a weighted hammer and it'll eventually come out as the stud is tapered and seems to of sat in there very tightly over time.