Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2007, 09:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, 351W, 400 Horses
Not Ranked     
Default The proper tires for our vehicle?

The Backdraft comes standard with 15" BF Goodrich.These tires have only an s -speed rating which is up to 112 mph. Our cars as you know are much more capable than this speed.

So my questions are:what happens when we go above this speed for any length of time, AND where could I look for 15" Z rated cobra tires for my BDR.

Thanks
proud owner of #426
Old 04-04-2007, 09:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Good question. Those BFG's are absolutely worthless on these cars.
Yokohama has a 15" tire that some like. I like the Goodyear "Billboards" myself.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:09 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

The Yoko Avids are arguably the best 15" street radial for the money. I believe they are H rated (up to 130mph), as are the Dunlops. The Dunlops are stones though...not much better over the BFGs. Another radial option is running Mickey Thompson ET drag radials. They stick like glue and you can pump them up to 30-32 psi and they handle incredibly well. It made a believer out of me...wheel spin is no longer a problem.

-Dean

EDIT: AVON also offers a racing radial. Limited sizes and expensive, but they probably perform very well.

Last edited by RedBarchetta; 04-04-2007 at 01:48 PM..
Old 04-04-2007, 10:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4000; Shelby aluminum FE with 58mm IDAs
Not Ranked     
Default Consider V-Rated Avons

It is a challenge to find good 15" tires for Cobras (that's why some folks go to a 17" rim, as it's much easier to find 17" performance tires).

For 15" tires, as already mentioned, some go the drag radial route.

Others like the Goodyear Billboards (the downside is that they are bias ply, but they have the nice vintage look to them, and traction is supposed to be pretty good).

Another option to consider is the V-rated Avon radials (see attached link for a thread on the Avons).

Mounted the Avons on my SPF

I have a pair of Billboards and Avons on order.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, CHP 427w Streetfignter, Injected Venom.Mass-Flo...550 hp , 550 torq..spec pulley sys..
Not Ranked     

actually the Yokos are rated 't'......which is up to 118 mph......but because of the weight of the cars.......they do work at much higher speeds, without too much issue....as the ratings for tires is very cautious.....and not to worry at higher speeds.....as long as you don't keep it there for a long time! The avons are rated ar 'v' which is 149 mph....and are probably the best......and some guys have them and love them....they are a bit more pricey, but hey, how much do you want to save at the expense of ..............?
hope it helps..........
BYW......for those interested.......BF Goodrich has a new tire out....and though presently in only 17 and 18.......is planning on 15 , 16 ,as well! It is called the G-force R 1......and has it down for these cars perfect......just not available yet, and the guy said he doubts anything will be out before at least 6 months......but check TireRacks mag..............
fred z
Old 04-04-2007, 12:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys.

How long is long, For example 115 to 120 say for 35 minutes or so. I do'nt want to blow the bands on the BFs

Question: I love the good year billboards, but they are not a radial. What is the actual disadvantage to the bias ply tire. Is it a pure racing tire?

I can't remember where I saw it but I think GoodYear has a radial tire for our car with raised whites. Unsure if its for a 17" or 15" rim

Any websites or places to look will be greatly appreciated.

GAry

Last edited by SD5805; 04-04-2007 at 01:37 PM..
Old 04-04-2007, 01:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 239
Not Ranked     

Like Dean says. ET Street Radials. No other street tire compares. They are at a different level.

Jason
Old 04-04-2007, 01:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPF#2572, 427 S/O 2X4
Not Ranked     

What is the cost of the ET drag radials vs the BF radials?
Old 04-04-2007, 01:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Where can I go to tak a look at the ETs
Old 04-04-2007, 01:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What actually occurs when you go faster than the tire is rated for
Old 04-04-2007, 01:47 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archrms
What is the cost of the ET drag radials vs the BF radials?
MT ET drag radials run around $150-180 ea, depending on size. You really can't compare cost, because the performance of these two tires are polar opposites and the BFGs were designed to be mass produced at a lower cost.

-Dean
Old 04-04-2007, 01:52 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD5805
Where can I go to take a look at the ETs
On a Cobra, check my gallery along with D-CEL's. D-CEL ("Jason") runs them on all four corners...I now have fronts in my garage and will be mounting soon. Also do a search on CC member Greg Schroeder. He's turning high 10's and pulling 130mph with the MTs and a SB powered SPF. Here's a link to the company web site:

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/

-Dean
Old 04-04-2007, 01:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPF#2572, 427 S/O 2X4
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBarchetta
MT ET drag radials run around $150-180 ea, depending on size. You really can't compare cost, because the performance of these two tires are polar opposites and the BFGs were designed to be mass produced at a lower cost.

-Dean
Dean, I know they are completely different types of tires. I was just curious regarding their respective cost. Any idea what the BFG's go for?
Old 04-04-2007, 02:04 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archrms
Dean, I know they are completely different types of tires. I was just curious regarding their respective cost. Any idea what the BFG's go for?
Do a search at Tire Rack. Sorry, don't have the figures in long-term memory. Just remember...you usually get what you pay for and I've learned that a hard tire mounted on a light weight, high powered car can get interesting...
Old 04-04-2007, 02:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm not sure my BFs came with my car. I'm looking for 2 things 1 is performance the other reliability beacuase i'm a driver. i all ready have over 2600 miles on my BDR since 10/06

-Gary
Old 04-04-2007, 02:46 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Gary,

You will get a lot of differing opinions on "performance and reliability" for tires because of differing driving habits. BFGs have become a popular choice for Cobras because they offer the right sizes in a 15" tire and the raised white letters look good (for those that prefer that look). They also mass produce them, so they are inherently cheaper. They are designed to last and last, thus they are as hard as stones and that makes them "reliable." As much as BFG would like you to believe, they are not a performance tire.

I'm only aware of four (4) "performance" tires in a 15" size that fit our cars, look good, and perform well (and in no order of preference):

1. Goodyear Bluestreaks ("Billboards") bia ply racing tires (non DOT)
2. Mickey Thompson ET Street drag radials (DOT)
3. AVON racing radials (DOT)
4. Yokohama AVID S/T street radials (DOT)

Firestone also makes a street radial that receives high marks at Tire Rack, but I've yet to see anyone here make a statement to that effect. All four of the above tires can be deemed "reliable", with some caveats. The first three are true racing tires with reduced tread height and they wear much faster if driven very hard. For street use, however, they should survive several thousand miles (though several heat cycles can eventually break down a tire like a Goodyear billboard...then they just get hard). The Yoko's are a great all around tire, but you won't get the true "stick" that the other three provide. They are also nearly 1/2 the price of what the other 3 go for. Again, driving habits and demands play a huge part in what works for you.

Move up to 17" rims and all the rules (and options) change (for the better).

-Dean

Last edited by RedBarchetta; 04-04-2007 at 02:59 PM..
Old 04-04-2007, 02:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4000; Shelby aluminum FE with 58mm IDAs
Not Ranked     
Default Website

Gary,

Check out Roger Kraus Racing for different tires specifically for Cobras (e.g., Goodyear, Avons).

http://www.rogerkrausracing.com/Cobra/

Good luck.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dean,
The Mickey Thompson ET drag radials seem very nice, No raised whites though are available. My Question is that the rear tire uses 295 but the ET are only 275. Would this make any difference with the BDR roadster.

-GAry
Old 04-04-2007, 03:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks dean.
I'm partial to the 15" though because of the softer ride for longer trips. The first month I had my car I went to Cape Cod MA from CT a 3 1/2 to 4 hour ride. It took the Cobra about 2 1/2 to 3 hours. A fun ride at nighttime hours.

I tend to drive pretty quick for atleast 30-40 minutes straigt. Especially on a weekend night going to work. SO the sped rating may be an issue for me with theses tires. I know that the BF should have a buffer,but i'm not sure what it is.
Gary
Old 04-04-2007, 03:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz/SBC/Jag
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBarchetta
I'm only aware of four (4) "performance" tires in a 15" size that fit our cars, look good, and perform well (and in no order of preference):

1. Goodyear Bluestreaks ("Billboards") bia ply racing tires (non DOT)
2. Mickey Thompson ET Street drag radials (DOT)
3. AVON racing radials (DOT)
4. Yokohama AVID S/T street radials (DOT)

-Dean
The Hoosier Street TD belongs on that list as well. It's a bias ply with all that comes with that, but they grip like a gorilla and are worth consideration if you can deal with a bias ply tire.
I have two sets of wheels, Hoosier TD's on one and Yoko Avids on the other. The Yok's have great manners and good performance where the Hoosiers have poor manners (follow the pavement irregularities and such) and Great performance.

If you search, there is a lot of information available here about them.

We come into this world naked, screaming, and covered in blood. With dedication and a little planning, you can go out the same way.

View my overflow Gallery (much more to come !)