Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   BackDraft Racing --- (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/backdraft-racing/)
-   -   Stainless Steel Gas Tank Problem (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/backdraft-racing/94982-stainless-steel-gas-tank-problem.html)

Trueoo7 02-23-2009 07:18 PM

Stainless Steel Gas Tank Problem

Well actually the tank isn't the problem but the filler tube that connects to it might be. I have 2 in line gas filters with 40 micron screens the size of a quarter. The one closest to the tank keeps getting plugged up, 3 times now. The last time after only a 200 mile trip (since replacing the screen) Car started stalling like it was running out of gas. Took the tank down to flush it out and noticed looking up the filler tube that it seems to be rusting on the inside ever so slightly. I have Aeroquip blue rubber hoses leading up to the front but I don't think these are degrading as they are made for this and the front filter seems to stay much clearer. There doesn't seem to be any water in the gas because when the filter gets replaced it runs great. Any thoughts as to what I can treat the inside of this filler pipe with so it won't rust? Has anyone ever seen a single rubber hose leading from the gas cap down to the tank? Don't know if that would work because of the overflow tube.
Space is real tight so a canister filter is out of the question.
Thoughts please....

mickmate 02-23-2009 08:34 PM

So the filler tube is steel but the tank is stainless? What did you find when you took the tank down to flush it?

tcrist 02-23-2009 09:25 PM

For it not to rust, the tank should be made from 316 sst but probably did not use 316 sst tubing for the filler. 304 sst tubing will rust. You should remove the tank and have it cleand and sealed. Most radiator shops can do that.

Terry

trularin 02-24-2009 05:23 AM

May I suggest a rubber connector between the tank and the filler tube.

Be thankful you have the filters in place. All that junk in the engine would not be good.

:D :D

Bill Bess 02-24-2009 05:37 AM

Ya, a rubber barrier (connector hose) between the two dissimilar metals may stop your corrosion problem. Electrolysis maybe causing your problem..current jumping from the SS steel over to the mid steel, with the mild steel being the sacrificial metal, resulting in rust. This is a real problem with systems in water and buried underground (pipelines).

Maybe postion your filters where they are easy to get at to change would be helpful too.

Best Regards, Bill

Blittleton 02-24-2009 01:40 PM

True007,

You have an older Backdraft, we have always had debris in these tanks. I think if you use a bigger filter as for volume, you wouldn't need to change as often. I never seen the filler tube corrode to the point of clogging up your filters. I have had alot of problems with local fuel stations with debris as well.

My suggestion would be to remove and flush your tank. Check the interior of the tank visually for debris, change your filter and see if it continues.

Trueoo7 02-24-2009 06:47 PM

Mickmate
The tank looked pretty clean, the little bit of leftover gas was slightly on the darker side but that could be from the StaBil and StarTron (winter stabilizer) that I put in for the winter storage.

Tcrist
Now that I have it out I will flush good with a garden hose. There are no leaks, so I don't know what sealing they might do.

Trularin
There is a 4" rubber hose connector in between the filler pipe and tank.

Bill Bess
Funny you should say that because I work for a pipeline company and our corrosion tech constantly reminds us of the effects of electrolysis and dissimilar metals, to the point of ad nauseum. He actually said that as long as there is enough spacing inside the rubber connector (not pushed up against one another) that the rubber acts like an insulating flange.
Another theory someone said to me was that theres allot of alcohol in gas and when the car sits for a week or two, the moisture comes out and seeks out the highest point which is the filler tube and collects there. This part being metal will eventually rust.

BLittleton
What is BDR using for a tank now, thought I heard they switched over to aluminum but not sure. What about the filler pipe, is it still metal, do they make a Stainless Steel one or rubber? I might have to look into making one up out of SS headers (2" ID) that or ceramic coat the inside of this one if it will hold up to gas. Whereabouts do you find room to hook up your filters and what type are you using?

tcrist 02-24-2009 08:42 PM

Trueoo7

The sealing is like clear coating a bare steel frame. If there is no rust when you clear coat it, then it will/should not rust after. If your rust is in the filler neck that is attached to the body then you could have the filler neck only coated on the inside. If there is rust inside the tank then you could have that coated. The coating is normally for steel tanks not stainless, but it couldn't hurt. If your tank or filler neck is made from 304 stainless, it will rust eventually. If you want something that is very rust resistant it should be made from 316 stainless. I am thinking about building an aluminum tank for my Cobra. It will be sealed on the inside along with the filler neck.

Good luck,Terry

Speedysnake 02-25-2009 05:45 AM

True,

I have BDR #291. I had an issue with a small leak in the S.S. gas tank. When I inspected the tank I found that when it was welded it was done with no backing gas (IMHO) this causes loose slag to form on the back (inside) of the weld. This may be what you are seeing. I've changed fuel filters three times in 7500 miles, each time there is a slight build up of crude in the filter.:mad:

Paul

Blittleton 02-26-2009 04:39 PM

I received #779 last week and it has a plastic tank in it. I new that they were coming, no thoughts on it yet.

Bill

Trueoo7 02-26-2009 07:46 PM

Actually thats the way Backdraft's started out. When I was hunting down my car all the BDR's before me had white (see through) plastic tanks. They said that they were changing over to stainless because people were complaining they weren't being allowed on the racetracks and if you hit something on the roads they were developing leaks. I decided to wait the extra 2 months it took to get the stainless tank. Its heavy but it will take a hit.

Trueoo7 05-15-2009 11:56 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 15238

Attachment 15239

This should do the trick. Had it made out of aluminum. The rust didn't look too bad until you hold them next to one another. You might all want to check your filler tubes, but do it with a flashlight and not a match :eek:

Great Asp 05-15-2009 01:14 PM

Does a 304SS gas tank need to be coated on the inside?

E

tcrist 05-15-2009 02:47 PM

It should be coated/sealed just like a steel tank.

304SS is the most common used basic stainless steel. It can rust eventually.

316/316L stainless steel should be used on anything that is susceptible to corrosion.

You also have to be sure that the tank is welded with the correct welding rod/wire or the welds will rust.

Terry

Great Asp 05-15-2009 05:35 PM

Roger!

Anything you recommend for the interior of a tank?

E

tcrist 05-15-2009 06:34 PM

Most radiator shops also seal gas tanks. Even if they tell you that it looks clean have them seal it anyway.

Terry

rpatton3 06-04-2012 09:19 PM

When did the Backdraft cars change gas tank materials?

I have #874. What is my gas tank made from?

Quentin Z 06-11-2018 06:54 PM

Resurrecting an old thread. Got a call from my building today, the cobra (built in 2005) was leaking gas all over the place. Long story short, the rubber fuel hose connecting the filler neck to the stainless tank had completely corroded to the point of allowing fuel to leak out at a high rate! I’ve never seen anything like it; obviously these hoses don’t last forever. After several bags of cat litter and several hours of clean up. I temporarily replaced the hose with a piece of radiator hose. Obviously that can’t stay, so the question is, what diameter is the connector hose? I’m sure my next questions will be related to clogged up fuel system, given the job the gas did on the old hose...

spdbrake 06-11-2018 07:17 PM

I'd measure the ID of the Radiator hose your using or OD of the filler neck pipe.

Sold thru places like this.
https://www.fillernecksupply.com/fue...hose-straight/

I see the VigLink redirect is still active on this site. (Pay-per-click income generator helps keep this place running though).

BDR0572 06-13-2018 03:12 PM

just changed my filler connector went through summit ,
https://www.summitracing.com/search/...ler-neck-hoses