Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Bay Area Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/bay-area-cobra-club/)
-   -   I now this issue has been discussed I death but... (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/bay-area-cobra-club/117053-i-now-issue-has-been-discussed-i-death-but.html)

pliot_guy 08-31-2012 08:15 PM

I now this issue has been discussed I death but...

Honestly, I know this issue has been discussed at great lengths but I have some questions about SB100 and CA registration. The reason I'm asking is because I still have some questions after using the search function on the forum and googling it.*

There essentially appears to be only 2 ways to "legally" register your kit car in CA. Option 1:*get an sb100 # as a specially constructed vehicle (spcns)
Option 2: *which isn't any "less" legal than option 1 but from my research it seems like it gets a bad wrap:*

There's a kit/replica car thats registered and titled as the year it represents in another state (totally legal because most states are much less strict than CA)
And you bring that car into CA.(move here, buy it from out of state, whatever)
(again totally legal)
You obviously then register your car in CA and the DMV/state of CA, according to vehicle code Section 4300-4309 has to constitutionally honor the previous states title. So once you have paid all the neccassary taxes/fees, your car is now registered in CA. as a 65 or 66 Shelby or ford whatever the car may be(again, not based on fraud, but completely and totally legal.)

So my question is: does anyone in CA have their car registered as a 65 or 66 ford or Shelby etc. Because you brought it here from out of state? If you don't want to post it on the board I understand, you can PM me. But I am curious as to if you have ever had any trouble since technically you completely followed the law.

tcrist 08-31-2012 09:02 PM

I don't see anything in there about the year.

From what I understand (and have been told) a previously registered KIT car will be registered in Ca as the year it was brought into the state. I.E., even if another state registered it as a 1965 and it is brought into the state in 2012, it will be registered as a 2012 SPCN. I believe then it would have to be 2012 smog compliant or get an SB100 smog exemption.

pliot_guy 08-31-2012 09:13 PM

Ah. Gotcha. So whatever year it's brought to CA. Is the year that it is to be registered as (in california's eyes) that makes sense. Thanks for the info!

Got the Bug 08-31-2012 09:30 PM

One of the the things to watch out for when buying a car from out of State is to ensure that the car was legally titled/registered in that State.

I've heard of a couple of instances where a DMV rep was up to speed and just accepted the registration as it was titled in another State. There's really no reason or advantage not register the car under SB100. It could eliminate any headaches down the road.

m5extc 08-31-2012 10:05 PM

The DMV does not necessarily have to accept the registration as a 1965, because the car may have titled to the rules of another state, but here it must be registered as year built. So in their eyes, that means the car was inproperly registered and they can invalidate your vin number. Remember it is not hard to prove on non hand build (owner scratch built) cars when and which factory built them. Not a fight you want to have.

Andrei

Paul F 09-01-2012 07:51 AM

Doug has it right. It just isn't worth the trouble to do it any other way than SB-100. There is no longer the mad rush to get a number January 1 and it is a simple process.

Why take the chance that the car was improperly registered in another state. Get the SB-100 and you will not wake up one morning with the DMV hassling you.

Randy Rosenberg 09-01-2012 09:04 AM

Doug and Paul are correct. Even if you buy an out of state car with a valid and legal 1965 title, there is still no guarantee that the powers at the DMV would not invalid your newly acquired 1965 CA Title and Registration. It is just too easy and simple to get an SB100 Sequence Number, and it will help in selling your car later (assuming you sell within CA - no one wants to buy a car with stories).

YMMV,
Randy...

pliot_guy 09-01-2012 09:59 AM

Thanks for the info guys ! One more follow up question, let's say I have a car titled as a 66 ford in Ca and I want to take the sb100 route BUT I have no documentation on the car? No paperwork, receipts,etc. is it still possible to get the sb100 or will it virtually be impossible?

tcrist 09-01-2012 10:21 AM

If you are talking about a KIT car then you might be able to access the anmesty program AB 2461 Assembly Bill - Bill Analysis. Dont know if it is still in effect though.

Got the Bug 09-01-2012 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pliot_guy (Post 1208234)
Thanks for the info guys ! One more follow up question, let's say I have a car titled as a 66 ford in Ca and I want to take the sb100 route BUT I have no documentation on the car? No paperwork, receipts,etc. is it still possible to get the sb100 or will it virtually be impossible?

If the car was purchased in CA, one would have a receipt for the car and pink slip, even though the title on the pink slip is not correct/legal. As Terry mentioned, there may be a path to correct that and walk it through the SB100 process.

You're heading off into "no man's land" now. Assuming that we're talking about your friends car ( ;) ) I would suggest two paths. First, your friend should go talk to Jody at the Santa Clara DMV. Second, search out Attorney General Morgester on the boards here and have your friend contact him. :)

pliot_guy 09-01-2012 11:08 AM

Haha thanks Doug ! Yes, this is definitely my friends car and not mine ! :)

SMOKNAC 09-01-2012 01:47 PM

I bought a 34 ford coupe out of Nev. and brought it here, and had no hassles registering it here in Cal. DMV didn't even ask for a sb-100.

Paul F 09-01-2012 02:02 PM

A '34 Ford is not a specially constructed vehicle. It does not need nor does it qualify for SB-100.

The DMV does not ask for an SB-100. Its up to the owner to decide if they want to take that option.

Got the Bug 09-01-2012 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul F (Post 1208270)
A '34 Ford is not a specially constructed vehicle. It does not need nor does it qualify for SB-100.

The DMV does not ask for an SB-100. Its up to the owner to decide if they want to take that option.

If it's not a real '34 Ford Coupe (i.e. modern build of any kind), then it would be considered a specially constructed vehicle. The SB100 amnesty program was really focused on giving the hot rod community a chance to register under SB100.

Sidekick 09-02-2012 08:35 PM

While not trying to be the bad guy here, any officer of any POST certified agency ( police, sheriff, CHP etc.)who views anything suspicious about the vehicle or registration can at any time tow or impound the vehicle for an inspection,(for as long as it takes) and all of it at your expense. The storage could be in the thousands of $.

If there comes a time there is a traffic stop on your car, and the officer knows his stuff and sees a 1965 reg. on a kit car AND has a hair up his a$$ your car can be history. I would do everything I could to get the registration in the year the car was built rather than take a chance.

Good luck in whatever direction you go.

pliot_guy 09-03-2012 09:53 AM

Is there anyone on here that has had their car registered without the sb100 in CA and then taken the sb100 route? (Either through the amnesty program or just on your own) if you have and you wouldn't mind helping a noobie out, your advice would be greatly appreciated! You can either reply in thread or pm. Thanks !

Got the Bug 09-03-2012 10:06 AM

Just sent you a PM. Email or call me.

Tom Howland 09-03-2012 09:42 PM

I bought my car in 2000 as the 3rd owner, titled as a 1964 Ford. After much thought I went to DMV and told them I thought my car was titled wrong. The first clerk said don't worry about it, your fees are cheeper that way!!!!! So I thought about it overnight and went back the next day and talked to a different clerk. I told her about my title and wanting to do the SB100. She said fine I've never done one so lets try it. She spent a real 30 minutes on the phone to Sacramento and it took another hour of paperwork. I never needed my receipts, just signed a declaration as to the car value. Still did all the inspections. It was fairly simple because I was already titled. It took a couple of months because I tried to do the inspections out of order. Like everyone has stated, it depends on who you talk to at DMV.

Tom Howland 09-03-2012 09:46 PM

I did the SB100 in Nov. '11

pliot_guy 09-03-2012 11:13 PM

Hi Tom, thanks for posting ! If you don't mind me asking, what made you decide to do the sb100 after the DMV said don't worry about it? I ask because that's prettymuch the same position as me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Howland (Post 1208694)
I did the SB100 in Nov. '11