26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2008, 10:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4400
Not Ranked     
Default Side pipes or under car exhaust?

When my CSX 4000 car was delivered, there were no cut outs in the body for the side pipes. The aluminum body car was delivered painted. My dilemma is do I cut the side pipe holes or run under the car exhausts. I would actually like to try the under car setup for a change, but will it look like a mixed bag with roll bar, hood scoop and S/C dash running street pipes. HP is not an issue because my KC 482 is putting out over 600 HP and I am not going to track the car.

Thanks for your opinions.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Auckland Cobra, 351 Cleveland - 2V, C6 transmission - all in pieces on my garage floor...
Not Ranked     

are you crazy? These beasties look damned fine / hot / *****ing / unfekken-believable no-matter how you configure them.

The long and short of it is: IT AIN'T AN ORIGINAL. So do with it what you want. Most importantly: it's YOUR car so configure it the way YOU want it.

Personally, I'm going with BOTH pipes. The rear ones have been set up so that they're hidden. With a flick of a switch in the dashboard I'll be able to switch from side-pipes to tail-pipes. Why? Because my car is going to be a daily driver so for my own sanity / safety of my ears on long journeys (and my 2 year-old son) I want to be able to divert the 'go loud effect' to the rear! ;o)

Good luck ;o)
Old 12-09-2008, 12:03 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

To start ... why not try an under car exhaust, maybe something like the FIA exhaust that is partially under the body, but dumps ahead of the rear wheel.

You can always do the cutouts and side pipes later, but once the body is cut, that's it. Like clb says, either way it will look good and sound cool.

Just my .02 worth
Old 12-09-2008, 12:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

clb,

Yes, I am crazy, but in spite of that:

I know it isn't "an original", and even though my MSO from Shelby says "1965 Shelby Cobra". I am aware that it was built in 2007. If, however, we weren't so enamored with the "original" cars, we wouldn't be building replicas of them.

Yes, I know it is my car and I can do with it as I please, but, before I go cutting holes in my freshly painted car, I was just wondering if anyone thought it would look odd with under the car exhausts when the rest of it is in S/C configuration.

Thanks for sharing your solution!

Last edited by GUNNAR; 12-09-2008 at 12:47 AM..
Old 12-09-2008, 02:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

undercar is quieter and you wont burn your legs.

keep in mind some original 427s were undercar as certain DMV states would not allow side pipes.

Steve
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 12-09-2008, 03:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default How's the hearing in your left ear???

GUNNAR If you can't hear anything and don't mine hearing the old lady about getting a calf burn, SIDEPIPES. If you want the car to be quieter, go with the under the car system with tail pipes. Get Oval pipes, this will give you more ground clearance over round. Nascar uses them. Side pipes will cost you from 10- 40 HP, depending on what is inside them for mufflers. He have fixed the leg burning with welding blankets cut to fit inside the car. Look under old threads for leg burns or shields. Rick Lake
Old 12-09-2008, 06:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

My reduce the chance of you smelling like gasoline with the exhaust on the back instead of where you sit. I like the look of sidepipes to much but under car exhaust has some advantages. I think it depends if it is a dailey driver or not
Old 12-09-2008, 07:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Undercar seems like the way to go. Like Tim said, once you cut there's no going back. If I was going to do it over again, I would seriously consider the under car exhaust over the pipes.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 12-09-2008, 08:34 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SUPERFORMANCE w DOUG MEYER ENGINE
Not Ranked     

I am really happy with the undercar exhaust. You can talk while driving, plus I am trying to save what is left of my hearing LOL, plus the wife is a clutz sometimes. So when she burned her leg she would hate the car. It is still really loud when I hit it. Plus I like the clean look. Take a peek if you wanna see it.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I would have absolutely no problem with going with the undercar exhaust system. After 5 years of bellowing sidepipes on my SPF, I'm a little tired of it...as is my wife. The idea of oval exhaust pipes and low profile mufflers sounds like a good alternative. The car owners I have talked to really like the undercar system. Quieter, less exhaust and heat wafting up into your face in traffic. Don't really care about the pro's and cons of HP losses of either system since they both rob considerable HP on a 500+ HP motor anyway. Good luck and I'm sure you won't be disappointed with an undercar system.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks everyone for your help. I have had two Kirkhams, a 427 and a 289 FIA, both with side pipes. I liked the look, but now that I am old, the noise and smell isn't as much fun as it used to be. I was surprised when the Shelby arrived without the holes for the side pipes and thought this would be a good opportunity to try an under the car exhaust. JBCOBRA, your car looks great, nice clean lines, and as others have pointed out, if I decide down the road I want side pipes, it is a lot easier to cut holes than to fill them in.

Thanks again.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ex CSX3327, & AK7113 AutoKraft AC MK IV
Not Ranked     
Default exhaust

I had FIA/GT350 style side exhaust (dumps just in front of rear wheel...nice and loud with "punch" motor cycle mufflers on my ex CSX 427 street car. You don't burn legs with it and the effect is good. My current AK has under car with cats and no mufflers and you can hold a conversation in it and apparently hear a radio (although I removed it ) It is more subtle arround town, until full chat and then that 302 sounds like four harleys are chasing you.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUNNAR View Post
When my CSX 4000 car was delivered, there were no cut outs in the body for the side pipes. The aluminum body car was delivered painted. My dilemma is do I cut the side pipe holes or run under the car exhausts. I would actually like to try the under car setup for a change, but will it look like a mixed bag with roll bar, hood scoop and S/C dash running street pipes. HP is not an issue because my KC 482 is putting out over 600 HP and I am not going to track the car.

Thanks for your opinions.
Well, since you're soliciting opinions...

I'll take the minority position and say that because: a) a CSX4000 is/could be/might be held to a higher standard than other manufacturers, b) the undercar exhaust will be incongruous with the other characteristics of an S/C (hood scoop, roll bar, etc.), the sans-sidepipe look won't work (for me).

Just my personal perspective, but items like bumpers, grill hoops, etc. just don't seem "right" on a Cobra S/C with a hood scoop and sidepipes. I would say, if you want a street car, then get rid of the hood scoop and roll bar. If you want an S/C, then install the sidepipes.

And if you decide to sell some day, and you have no sidepipes, a potential buyer, someone like me, will do a mental deduct from it's price for the addition of the sidepipes, which can be a couple thousand dollars.

There are quieter sidepipes made, if sound is an issue. I have a set from Hushpower, which is a subsidiary of Flowmaster and they're "very tolerable."

Ultimately, it's your car and your decision alone. Make yourself happy.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Gunnar! I really enjoy driving the car. All I want for Christmas is a few warmish days so I can take it out more.
Fingers crossed LOL
Old 12-09-2008, 09:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

For those with undercar exhaust, does it create any noticeable or additional heat in the passenger compartment? Any issues with clearance?

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 12-09-2008, 09:55 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

SPF provides stainless heat shields. But I am sure you can get them very inexpensively. The pipes are tucked up pretty well up the bottom of the chassis. I did scrape the mufflers a couple times driving really hard into compression dips at the bottom of a long hill woopty-do in the mountains. I was having to much fun to care about it. Just slight scrapes on the mufflers. Adds character. The suspesion was in full compression. All I can say is: THESE CARS ARE FUN! wink
Old 12-09-2008, 11:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ex CSX3327, & AK7113 AutoKraft AC MK IV
Not Ranked     
Default exhaust

The footbox heat is the same. The floor of CSX 3327 got warm/hot. The AK's has 'standoff' heat shields so floor is cool, but foot box is an oven
Old 12-09-2008, 11:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA # 208, 428CJ
Not Ranked     

If you can't decide ....I would do one car with pipes and the second with under car exhaust !! I like both !!
Old 12-09-2008, 12:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Bug View Post
For those with undercar exhaust, does it create any noticeable or additional heat in the passenger compartment? Any issues with clearance?
I have no issues with heat or clearance.

Check out my photos. Undercar exhaust. Street gauge placement. Hood scoop. Full width roll bar. Works for me. I love it.

Jack
Old 12-09-2008, 12:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ...
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Well, since you're soliciting opinions...

I'll take the minority position and say that because: a) a CSX4000 is/could be/might be held to a higher standard than other manufacturers, b) the undercar exhaust will be incongruous with the other characteristics of an S/C (hood scoop, roll bar, etc.), the sans-sidepipe look won't work (for me).

Just my personal perspective, but items like bumpers, grill hoops, etc. just don't seem "right" on a Cobra S/C with a hood scoop and sidepipes. I would say, if you want a street car, then get rid of the hood scoop and roll bar. If you want an S/C, then install the sidepipes.

And if you decide to sell some day, and you have no sidepipes, a potential buyer, someone like me, will do a mental deduct from it's price for the addition of the sidepipes, which can be a couple thousand dollars.

There are quieter sidepipes made, if sound is an issue. I have a set from Hushpower, which is a subsidiary of Flowmaster and they're "very tolerable."

Ultimately, it's your car and your decision alone. Make yourself happy.
I gotta agree with Rod, It just dont quite look right. The thing about the SC is, its supposed to look "MEAN". Its a dirty nomex racing suit, scuffed up helmet, and smokin' slicks kinda 'Mean'. Those are two chromed air-cooled .30 Cals hangin' off the side. The street car is a Tuxeedo, cuff-links, and Vodka Martini shaken-not-stirred "Clean".
They dont mix well.