Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Bowtie Snakes (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/bowtie-snakes/)
-   -   Keep them guessing (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/bowtie-snakes/117463-keep-them-guessing.html)

Lightingrod 09-26-2012 02:03 PM

Keep them guessing

I just thought I would see what they look like!

http://www.chinaquick-1.com/FORD.jpg

roadrod2000 09-26-2012 02:37 PM

I just hope that your replica cobra is closer to original than your "replica" Ford Engine :LOL:

Thor maine 09-26-2012 03:17 PM

GO CHEVY ,GO PROUD!!!! No need to try and hide it. Original(it's not and never will be no matter how much you want it to be) who cares . Build it the way you want it to be and enjoy the ride.

Lightingrod 09-26-2012 05:28 PM

Built Ford Tuff with Chevy Stuff!

You got it Thor, it's about fun! I almost went BBC, I got a GMPP 572/620 sitting in the garage. With the 370cc Edelbrock Victor heads CNC'ed by Doctor J it will be well over 750 hp. Tell me about your TBI 427. I have an old 1990 454SS, the TBI is long since gone! It was real fun when I had a Vortech Supercharger on it! I had the Edelbrock cam, headers, intake and GM 781 heads! I also had the 572 in it at one time. Currently a 468 with Edel oval ports and a mild hyd roller. With the Bowtie Overdrives 700R-4 it runs 12.8@108 and gets 15 mph on the road if I stay out of it!

ERA Chas 09-26-2012 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lightingrod (Post 1212750)
Currently a 468 with Edel oval ports and a mild hyd roller. With the Bowtie Overdrives 700R-4 it runs 12.8@108 and gets 15 mph on the road if I stay out of it!

Are we supposed to be impressed?:rolleyes:

Thor maine 09-26-2012 06:08 PM

Who is we ?? The " Ford only in a Cobra crowd" ???? The world did not end with Ford 222,240,260,289,390,and the 427 T.O, C.O, S.O and the 428. I don't have a Shelby Cobra I have a Hot Rod shaped like a Cobra. So I will make it the way I want it and enjoy the ride. So impress this!!!

PANAVIA 09-26-2012 10:25 PM

Anyone with a LS engine ?

Dimis 09-26-2012 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PANAVIA (Post 1212797)

Nearly everyone in Aus :o
Emissions compliance forced many of us that way :eek::CRY:

Shhh! Don't tell anyone... but I think some actually look pretty nice in the engine bay, and most go pretty hard.

This is one of my favourites...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhg0xMzaO1c

Hotfingrs 09-27-2012 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERA Chas (Post 1212752)
Are we supposed to be impressed?:rolleyes:

For the unimpressed the 1990 454SS is a pick up truck....

Your Cobra isn't that much faster, and the truck weighs over twice what your Cobra does.

COBRANIP 09-27-2012 02:01 AM

If I remember Dante's "Inferno" correctly it is acceptable to put a small block Chevy in a '32 Ford, but one of the rings of hell is reserved for anyone who would put "Ford" on a Chevy engine! ;-)

boxhead 09-27-2012 02:05 AM

Quote:

Yes, I do.

blykins 09-27-2012 04:53 AM

I've never understood the logic behind trying to disguise an engine as something else.

That goes for Chevys with Ford valve covers and SBF's with FE valve covers. If you're that ashamed of it, change it.

Lightingrod 09-27-2012 06:14 AM

Dimis,

That is a great looking Cobra! Just need to get the steering wheel on the correct side! ;-)

In my opinion the LS motor is by far the best pushrod engine ever built, bar none! Carroll Shelby was a Hot Rodder at heart and the first Cobras where built with that mind set! And like any hot rodder he wanted the best at the time (SBC), when that failed he went with what he could get, the SBF! So the fact is I built his original intent not what he was forced to settle for? Shelby made the SBF what it became, not the other way around! FE motors, please! If I need a nostalgia fix that bad I’ll visit a museum!

AC Cobra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And just for your information the 15 mpg was @ 80 mph on a 700 mile round trip. On the return leg it had a 1000# stainless steel range in the bed! I don’t care if it impresses you because as a driver it has made me happy and a butt-load of Mustangs & Lightning’s SAD!

A bit dirty but again it's a driver!

http://www.chinaquick-1.com/454SS-1.jpg

blykins 09-27-2012 06:19 AM

Hahahaha.......:LOL:

scottj 09-27-2012 06:48 AM

Quote:

Yep... LS7 with a few "tweaks"... most drivable engine I've ever owned...

ERA Chas 09-27-2012 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hotfingrs (Post 1212802)
For the unimpressed the 1990 454SS is a pick up truck....

Your Cobra isn't that much faster, and the truck weighs over twice what your Cobra does.

I thought he meant that 700 pound lump was in a Cobra.
So posting a time like that seemed 'uninformed'. Thanks for clarifying.
Mine is 1 second and 13 mph faster. Yours is substantially faster. 800HP is Cup motor technology in a small block--unless it's sprayed. Does 'all motor' mean 'no spray'?
For the record Jack, I've always admired your car and said so on this site and never knocked Chevs in Cobras.
But I'd never build one.
Clear now?

Lightingrod 09-27-2012 06:57 AM

They are not on it, I just stuck one on and snapped a photo while doing a valve adjustment! DISGUISE/ASHAMED? Not in this lifetime! I mean really who would a pair of valve covers fool? I’m not even sure they will clear the roller rockers and they are not real good quality, being Ford and all! IF, if I ever put them on it would only be to further tweak the noses of the “True Believers”! Why because it’s fun! Look at the number of post up already!

Come on guys, I got this thing for FUN! One of the reasons I bought this one was the fact it had SBC power, which I have built and raced for many years. PLUS, used an equal Chevy powered Cobra is 5-10k cheaper! I really thought about putting the 572 in it but I wound up swapping some BBC parts I had on hand for the SBC that’s in it now. I rebuilt it the way I wanted it, detuning a bunch for the street!

It’s a hobby, say what you like it’s not going to ziss me off. The only way you can do that is at the strip, for most of you good luck with that!

Hotfingrs 09-27-2012 11:47 AM

Chas... At one time I did have NO2 on the motor and it was making over 1100 horse, but was totally useless. I only tried it 2 times, once when I first installed it, and once when I took the wife for a drive and said...watch this. I hit the button for about 1/2 a second and ended up three lanes over. Took it off shortly after. All motor= no spray.

ERA Chas 09-27-2012 11:57 AM

Thank you Jack.
So how did you build 2HP/CI? Yates doesn't make SBC heads-Randy maybe?
Cam, head and piston specs would be appreciated.

scottj 09-27-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERA Chas (Post 1212881)
Thank you Jack.
So how did you build 2HP/CI? Yates doesn't make SBC heads-Randy maybe?
Cam, head and piston specs would be appreciated.

Yates isn't the end-all when it comes to heads. There are much more powerful heads than the D-3, specifically, the 9 deg Billet Ford head and the 9 deg billet Chevy head... like 40 hp more than the D-3. You won't find them in NASCAR though... gotta call Don.