Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Bowtie Snakes (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/bowtie-snakes/)
-   -   The ULTIMATE Chevy Cobra Engine (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/bowtie-snakes/68870-ultimate-chevy-cobra-engine.html)

Virgule 04-21-2006 09:56 AM

The ULTIMATE Chevy Cobra Engine

Ryan Falconer has these slightly used Chevy racing engines for sale. The specs are unbelievable, although they ought to be, because they are from the 2002 Indy Racing League season and have been converted for street use.

http://www.falconerengines.com

214 cubic inch/3.5 liter. Eaton 112 Supercharger, MOTEC FI, Dry Sump. 560 horsepower at 8,000 RPM on 91 Octane Pump Gas. 340 pounds dry weight. Bellhousing and Getrag 6 speed available.

These engines go to 10,000 RPM and originally cost upward of $130,000. I can't even imagine the noise these things would make in a Cobra. :cool:

Tongue Pirate 04-21-2006 10:30 AM

would sound like a badss Vette:3DSMILE:

maverick 04-21-2006 11:08 AM

Can do the same thing with a puffed alum SBF, probably cheaper.

Virgule 04-21-2006 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maverick
Can do the same thing with a puffed alum SBF, probably cheaper.

You can squeeze 560 horsepower out of a 214 cubic inch SBF at 10,000 RPM? Really? Wow....... ;)

maverick 04-21-2006 02:34 PM

Please re-read the quote..........."SBF", no mention of cu. in.

A blueprinted alloy stroker SBF (427) @ ~ 350# will easily attain 550+ reliable hp at lower rpms. Heck, that's even without a blower!!:)

http://www.keithcraft.com/ads/index.html#427SBF

wtm442 04-21-2006 04:40 PM

For the asking price of $25K, I could buy some nice audio clips of the motor, buy a killer Ford engine and have money left over to light my Cuban cigars. :eek:

DavidNJ 04-21-2006 08:19 PM

Actually, the street version engine is $45k, and the first one is going into a Cobra.

Art Burtt 04-22-2006 06:33 AM

Only problem is when you open the hood to show off the engine ,the distributor will be on the wron end!!

ffindling 04-24-2006 03:24 AM

Distributor??

Quote:

Originally Posted by Art Burtt
Only problem is when you open the hood to show off the engine ,the distributor will be on the wron end!!

I don't think that is a problem with the Falconer-modified IRL engine as it uses
a distributorless ignition.

....Fred

Virgule 05-05-2006 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
Actually, the street version engine is $45k, and the first one is going into a Cobra.

Holy Hooters. When this thing hits the test track, somebody has to have a video camera running. :cool:

Lightingrod 09-01-2007 09:39 PM

For that kind I money I would just go ahead and get one of his V-12's and be done with it! And before someone says it, yes I know you could put a Ford V-10 in cheaper! And it would be,,,, well it would be cheaper!

fsstnotch 09-01-2007 10:16 PM

For 45k... ANYWAYS!

What kind of power does it make at NORMAL driving RPM's?

Yetiman 09-02-2007 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fsstnotch

What kind of power does it make at NORMAL driving RPM's?

none. :LOL:

ZOERA-SC7XX 09-02-2007 04:46 AM

It's not about Ford or Chevy...it's just an awesome engine, but the original Illmore Chevy Indy car engine was based on the Cosworth F1 engine, badged as a Ford. Cosworth changed hands several times and whoever owned the company had access to all R&D. This engine would make for a killer lightweight Cobra for the track (and would sound incredible with 180 degree headers.

fastraxsg 09-02-2007 07:20 AM

I can never really figure this out....this section is titled, Bowtie Snakes....not to hard to follow, so why are guys still here ragging about Fords? Its a kit car, replica.....like Zoera-SC7XX said, its an awesome engine...enjoy it for what it is, or isn't. Lighten up...

Lowell W 09-02-2007 10:01 AM

Awesome engine, for sure, but a LOT of money to power a street car and probably not all that much fun to drive most of the time.

Maybe better in a modern-style street rod where you could see it.

JMO

Lowell

fsstnotch 09-02-2007 10:47 AM

Calm down guys! i don't think it was trying to go in a FORD vs Chevy direction at all! I think people were just relating what they could buy for 45k!

Lowell hit it right on the head... Even though it was made into a "street" engine. It really is beyond the boundaries of a street car when it makes it's power at 8k. Remember, nascar engines have 800hp but are not at all built to drive on te street. there is a reason that they have to drop the clutch on takeoff... it's not to get out of there quick, it's to keep from stalling the car.

Lightingrod 09-02-2007 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fastraxsg
I can never really figure this out....this section is titled, Bowtie Snakes....not to hard to follow, so why are guys still here ragging about Fords? Its a kit car, replica.....like Zoera-SC7XX said, its an awesome engine...enjoy it for what it is, or isn't. Lighten up...

Don't be to hard on the Die-Hard Ford guys, they are like cheap hookers, kind of fun to have around. They get the snott beat out of them and the next day they are back for more and with a big silly smile!:JEKYLHYDE

Suomien 09-02-2007 05:34 PM

Aren't those engines torn down after every use?

So, drive around, get home, dust off the car, pull the engine, rebuild, put engine back in.

Repeat.

Would that pretty much be the schedule?

Do they come with a 100,000 mile warranty? 50,000 miles? 10,000? 1 mile?

Sounds like the very definition of 'high maintenance' and 'over-stressed'.

ZOERA-SC7XX 09-02-2007 06:09 PM

That engine is much like the Corvette ZR1 from 1990-1995...a 4-cam injected Indy style V8 built by Mercury Marine for GM. It has held up well and many are running well with 100,000+ miles.
Chevrolet lost big bucks with every car sold.