Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By moore_rb
  • 1 Post By 1795
  • 1 Post By Karl Bebout

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2016, 09:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: All original, with Chevy engine since 1964
Not Ranked     
Default I re-did my car's side pipes... AGAIN.

When I bought my ClassicRoadsters, my online research about the car led me to this past thread about how restrictive the Stock CR sidepipes were, and so naturally, I had to cut mine up and replace the restrictive twin-tube mufflers with a set of glasspacks...

Classic Roadster exhaust dilemma

Well, after running the 30 inch glasspacks for several months, I decided on 3 things:

1) The 30 inch mufflers are too long. The CR already looks like a long car, due to the extra 4 inches of wheelbase. The longer mufflers simply accentuated that dimension. Plus, the 30 inch mufflers were still too mellow in the sound department, for my taste.

2) The factory CR turn-outs also have two downsides that don't suit my tastes- The downward angle on the CR turnouts is too severe (they look like the sidepipes that guys used to to put on their chevy vans in the 70's ; and two: The 3 inch diameter of the turn outs are too small. Original 427 side pipes had 3.5 inch turnouts.

3) I decided I wanted black side pipes instead of silver.

So, I cut them apart (again) and re-did them (again)...

I ordered a set of 22-inch glasspacks (4 inch diameter, 3 inch core tube), a 3.5 inch U-bend (to cut the new turn outs from), and some header flanges from Summit racing, and welded these up. I set the turnout angle to 12 degrees. Then, a quick run to the local Lowe's for some Ultra hight temp barbeque paint, and voila...:

I think the shorter mufflers, and the larger diameter turnouts, both come together to make the side pipes look shorter overall on the car, and they help to adjust the viewer's eye to the CR's longer wheelbase. I'll take some full-car shots from the side later this afternoon...

Why did I add the quick disconnect flanges? Well, because I still had those leftover 3 inch CR turnouts and hanger brackets laying around.... I had to do SOMETHING with those, right?

So, I reset the outlet angle on them to 12 degrees, and blended them into a length of 3-inch straight pipe... So now, when I want to run 20 pounds lighter (and 20 decibels louder ), it only takes me 5 minutes to swap the mufflers out for these wicked-loud, USRRC sounding bad-boys:

Old 04-10-2016, 10:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Side view comparison shots:

Before (with the 30 inch mufflers and original classicroadsters outlets, taken in Sept 2015):

After: With the 22 inch mufflers and larger outlets with shallower turnout angle (taken this morning):

1985 CCX and LoBelly like this.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

That looks much better. Nice job. I cannot imagine how loud that will be without the mufflers. The neighbors must love you when you fire it up that way
Old 04-10-2016, 11:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
That looks much better. Nice job. I cannot imagine how loud that will be without the mufflers. The neighbors must love you when you fire it up that way
Thanks Fortunately, my 4 closest neighbors are all gearheads, too - I'm surrounded by lifted 4x4's, Harleys, and hot rods

With the 3 inch straight pipes bolted on, it idles at 80dB, and WOT's at 100+dB, and it sounds EXACTLY like the car in this video (Even makes the same suck-back sound when I shift gears ):

https://youtu.be/s9y8a1_56HA

With the mufflers in place, it idles at 72dB, and WOT's at 95dB

Needless to say - It will be spending 99% of the time with the mufflers bolted on....

Last edited by moore_rb; 04-10-2016 at 11:10 AM..
Old 04-10-2016, 02:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra, SVO 460, Richmond 4+1
Not Ranked     

Very nice looking. I like the black much better.
Red W/ White Strips
SVO 460
Richmond 4+1
Old 04-10-2016, 02:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

One last suggestion, paint those bolts black. They stand out too much and detract from your nice work.
LoBelly likes this.
Old 04-10-2016, 07:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Robert,
Looks nice but no more heat shields???
They have saved my but a few times so far.
Superformance #884 --- Sold
No more Furds.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Great improvement Robert. I personally like lots of Dbs, but of course, I'm deaf in one ear and can't hear out of the other.
moore_rb likes this.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1965 Cobra made by Pacific Roadsters. 351 Windsor Crate Motor, 5 Speed Tremec Transmission
Not Ranked     

Nicely done, I prefer the black as well and good call on shortening the length.

I want to make my exhaust black as well. You said you used high temp BBQ paint from Lowes. My current pipes are ceramic coated silver, is it possible to paint over my pipes with a high temp paint?
Old 04-10-2016, 10:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks everyone -

Dan- Yeah, I'm going to go it without shields for awhile... Living dangerously.

1795- great idea on the black nuts - I'll be taking your suggestion.

Springbok - Yes, you can paint right over the ceramic coat- just give them a good sanding with 220-330 grit, followed by a good wipe-down with acetone, then the high-temp paint.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

I know this is an old thread and I think you have sold your car since any chance you could tell me what size flanges you purchase from Summit?
Thanks!
Old 05-26-2017, 04:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk View Post
I know this is an old thread and I think you have sold your car since any chance you could tell me what size flanges you purchase from Summit?
Thanks!

I used these:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pte-h7260
Old 05-26-2017, 05:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

Check out mine in my photo's. I used to make a highly polished 304 stainless sidepipes in a kit form. No glasspack to wear out. Sounds deep.

Website-

http://www.fireflyperformance.com/pipekit/index.htm
Old 05-27-2017, 07:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic, built in 1991 has a 351 Windsor single 4 bbl.
Not Ranked     
Default Ceramic coating

While you have the exhaust system apart consider having your headers and collectors ceramic coated. I was having a vapor lock problem and did several things to mediate the problem. The most impressive was ceramic coating. There are numerous colors to choose from. I chose chrome and it matches the mufflers. I measured the surface temp of the headers and muffler and there was a 125 degrees difference. The headers measure 180-190 and the mufflers measure 300-310.
Old 05-28-2017, 12:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

Thanks!! Just ordered them. Will report back once everthing is completed. Super excited to feel and hear the results. Going with black too.

As for headers I had them wrapped in this space age stuff that does the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore_rb View Post
When I bought my ClassicRoadsters, my online research about the car led me to this past thread about how restrictive the Stock CR sidepipes were, and so naturally, I had to cut mine up and replace the restrictive twin-tube mufflers with a set of glasspacks...

Classic Roadster exhaust dilemma

Well, after running the 30 inch glasspacks for several months, I decided on 3 things:

1) The 30 inch mufflers are too long. The CR already looks like a long car, due to the extra 4 inches of wheelbase. The longer mufflers simply accentuated that dimension. Plus, the 30 inch mufflers were still too mellow in the sound department, for my taste.

2) The factory CR turn-outs also have two downsides that don't suit my tastes- The downward angle on the CR turnouts is too severe (they look like the sidepipes that guys used to to put on their chevy vans in the 70's ; and two: The 3 inch diameter of the turn outs are too small. Original 427 side pipes had 3.5 inch turnouts.

3) I decided I wanted black side pipes instead of silver.

So, I cut them apart (again) and re-did them (again)...

I ordered a set of 22-inch glasspacks (4 inch diameter, 3 inch core tube), a 3.5 inch U-bend (to cut the new turn outs from), and some header flanges from Summit racing, and welded these up. I set the turnout angle to 12 degrees. Then, a quick run to the local Lowe's for some Ultra hight temp barbeque paint, and voila...:

I think the shorter mufflers, and the larger diameter turnouts, both come together to make the side pipes look shorter overall on the car, and they help to adjust the viewer's eye to the CR's longer wheelbase. I'll take some full-car shots from the side later this afternoon...

Why did I add the quick disconnect flanges? Well, because I still had those leftover 3 inch CR turnouts and hanger brackets laying around.... I had to do SOMETHING with those, right?

So, I reset the outlet angle on them to 12 degrees, and blended them into a length of 3-inch straight pipe... So now, when I want to run 20 pounds lighter (and 20 decibels louder ), it only takes me 5 minutes to swap the mufflers out for these wicked-loud, USRRC sounding bad-boys:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore_rb View Post