Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Classic Roadsters II (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/classic-roadsters-ii/)
-   -   Ford 9 inch center section worn out (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/classic-roadsters-ii/142709-ford-9-inch-center-section-worn-out.html)

TX-Excalibur 08-26-2019 10:22 AM

Ford 9 inch center section worn out

Have a Ford 9 inch positrac 28 spline 3.70 that has over 1/2 inch play in the ring and pinion. Upon inspection found that previous owner must have neglected the gear oil. Weighing new replacement vs rebuild. Need advice from members on which way to go.

eschaider 08-26-2019 11:17 AM

Just get a new ring & pinion and replace the bearings.

Ed

redmt 08-26-2019 12:11 PM

Rebuilt is a custom hands on unit. Most any rear end shop will have the parts on the shelf.

TX-Excalibur 08-26-2019 01:24 PM

What is everyone's opinion of Speedway Motors regarding their rebuilt 3rd members? They are advertising 9 Inch Ford Third Member posi Assembly, 28 Spline, 3.70:1 $899.99 reduced from $1,199.99 rebuilt with a Currie CE-4026C Ford "N" nodular iron carrier housing and then install bearings, seals, a heavy duty "Daytona" pinion support, a 1310-series yoke. After applying promo code the price is reduced to $675. What do you think?

LG57 08-26-2019 01:36 PM

Sounds like a screaming deal! I'd go for it.

TX-Excalibur 08-26-2019 01:40 PM

Thanks eschaider, I would love to do this myself but I am not setup for it and will have to depend on a shop to do the rebuild. One place quoted me $1500 parts and labor which made me look more into replacing the unit as an assembly.

eschaider 08-26-2019 04:02 PM

You're getting ripped off!

Go check the price of ring & pinions from Strange, Ford etc on Summit. Price out bearings, gaskets and seals are cheap. Ask around and a couple hundred dollars would be highway robbery for setup.

The alternative is learn how to do it yourself. Buying parts and tools for yourself would be waaaaaay less expensive.

I have a short 6 page pdf file that will show you how but unbelievably it is too big to upload to the site. PM me an email address and I will send it to you.

Alternatively, write a check bigger than you want to.

Ed

joyridin' 08-27-2019 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TX-Excalibur (Post 1466048)
What is everyone's opinion of Speedway Motors regarding their rebuilt 3rd members? They are advertising 9 Inch Ford Third Member posi Assembly, 28 Spline, 3.70:1 $899.99 reduced from $1,199.99 rebuilt with a Currie CE-4026C Ford "N" nodular iron carrier housing and then install bearings, seals, a heavy duty "Daytona" pinion support, a 1310-series yoke. After applying promo code the price is reduced to $675. What do you think?

Sounds like a really good deal! For the price that it would cost you to do it yourself, just buy the unit.

Gaz64 08-27-2019 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joyridin' (Post 1466082)
Sounds like a really good deal! For the price that is would cost you to do it yourself, just buy the unit.

That is a good deal. Jump on it.

Gary

Cruisin428 08-28-2019 05:38 AM

Ring and pinion 200.
Bearings and seals 150.
Posi 300.
Upgraded case 300.
Shop to put it together 200.
Speedway looks good!

TX-Excalibur 08-30-2019 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cruisin428 (Post 1466102)
Ring and pinion 200.
Bearings and seals 150.
Posi 300.
Upgraded case 300.
Shop to put it together 200.
Speedway looks good!

When I estimated the cost to do it myself your prices were pretty much in line with mine with only the labor quote of $500 being the difference. I went ahead and ordered the Speedway unit and it arrived Wednesday. I spent yesterday removing the old unit and plan to install the replacement unit today. I will be looking to sell the old unit for $300.

Bulldog 08-31-2019 07:02 PM

Rear end

Gary, if you need any help let me know .

TX-Excalibur 09-01-2019 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bulldog (Post 1466225)
Gary, if you need any help let me know .

Thanks Charles, I have ordered a transmission jack to support the weight of the assembly until I am able to get it into position. When it arrives I will give you a call and see if you are available. The nodular case is a lot heavier than the standard case that came out.

cycleguy55 09-01-2019 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TX-Excalibur (Post 1466234)
Thanks Charles, I have ordered a transmission jack to support the weight of the assembly until I am able to get it into position. When it arrives I will give you a call and see if you are available. The nodular case is a lot heavier than the standard case that came out.

Speedway lists the nodular case assembly as the same weight as a regular case. Regardless - 78.55 pounds is a bit of work and no fun when you're laying on your back and trying to get it into position. Ask me how I know. LOL

I see that unit comes with a Richmond Powertrax Grip Pro differential, which they refer to as 'limited slip'. I'm sure you're already aware, but this is a helical gear torque-sensing differential, and the same unit I've been running for about 4 years. FWIW I think it's really good, and a great choice for a Cobra. BTW, I'm running Redline Synthetic SHOCKPROOF® gear oil in mine as there are no clutch packs to worry about.

cycleguy55 09-01-2019 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TX-Excalibur (Post 1466040)
Have a Ford 9 inch positrac 28 spline 3.70 that has over 1/2 inch play in the ring and pinion. Upon inspection found that previous owner must have neglected the gear oil. Weighing new replacement vs rebuild. Need advice from members on which way to go.

While I recognize 'positrac' has become a generic term for a limited slip differential, it's really a term for GM's "Positraction" LS differentials.

Ford used 'Traction-Lok' or 'Trac-Lok' as their term for clutch pack type limited slip differentials. An earlier LS differential from Ford was 'Equa-Lock'.

TX-Excalibur 09-02-2019 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cycleguy55 (Post 1466243)
Speedway lists the nodular case assembly as the same weight as a regular case. Regardless - 78.55 pounds is a bit of work and no fun when you're laying on your back and trying to get it into position. Ask me how I know. LOL

I see that unit comes with a Richmond Powertrax Grip Pro differential, which they refer to as 'limited slip'. I'm sure you're already aware, but this is a helical gear torque-sensing differential, and the same unit I've been running for about 4 years. FWIW I think it's really good, and a great choice for a Cobra. BTW, I'm running Redline Synthetic SHOCKPROOF® gear oil in mine as there are no clutch packs to worry about.

Thanks cycleguy55, the 78.55 lbs weight made me curious as I noticed a definite difference between the two assemblies. So I weighed them both to satisfy my curiosity and found that the rebuilt assembly with the nodular case weighed about 7 lbs more than the old assembly. It may not seem like much but when you are trying to lift that baby into position using only your arm strength, for me it was noticeably heavier.

cycleguy55 09-02-2019 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TX-Excalibur (Post 1466271)
Thanks cycleguy55, the 78.55 lbs weight made me curious as I noticed a definite difference between the two assemblies. So I weighed them both to satisfy my curiosity and found that the rebuilt assembly with the nodular case weighed about 7 lbs more than the old assembly. It may not seem like much but when you are trying to lift that baby into position using only your arm strength, for me it was noticeably heavier.

What, a vendor's listings and specifications aren't 100% accurate? I'm shocked. :LOL::LOL:

I've installed a 9" center section a couple of times using nothing but arm strength, and neither installation was a lot of fun.

Gaz64 09-02-2019 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cycleguy55 (Post 1466286)
What, a vendor's listings and specifications aren't 100% accurate? I'm shocked. :LOL::LOL:

I've installed a 9" center section a couple of times using nothing but arm strength, and neither installation was a lot of fun.

Yes, they are heavy, especially on your own, almost as heavy as some transmissions.

So much fun :LOL::LOL: having a diff centre or trans sit on your chest.

Gary