Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By eschaider
  • 1 Post By joyridin'
  • 1 Post By Gaz64
  • 2 Post By Cruisin428

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2019, 10:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1993 Excalibur Cobra, 351W 400hp+
Send a message via AIM to TX-Excalibur Send a message via MSN to TX-Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to TX-Excalibur
Not Ranked     
Default Ford 9 inch center section worn out

Have a Ford 9 inch positrac 28 spline 3.70 that has over 1/2 inch play in the ring and pinion. Upon inspection found that previous owner must have neglected the gear oil. Weighing new replacement vs rebuild. Need advice from members on which way to go.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Just get a new ring & pinion and replace the bearings.

Ed
moore_rb likes this.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Rebuilt is a custom hands on unit. Most any rear end shop will have the parts on the shelf.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to TX-Excalibur Send a message via MSN to TX-Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to TX-Excalibur
Not Ranked     

What is everyone's opinion of Speedway Motors regarding their rebuilt 3rd members? They are advertising 9 Inch Ford Third Member posi Assembly, 28 Spline, 3.70:1 $899.99 reduced from $1,199.99 rebuilt with a Currie CE-4026C Ford "N" nodular iron carrier housing and then install bearings, seals, a heavy duty "Daytona" pinion support, a 1310-series yoke. After applying promo code the price is reduced to $675. What do you think?

Last edited by TX-Excalibur; 08-26-2019 at 01:59 PM..
Old 08-26-2019, 01:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA#134 427 Ctr oiler 2x4's
Not Ranked     

Sounds like a screaming deal! I'd go for it.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks eschaider, I would love to do this myself but I am not setup for it and will have to depend on a shop to do the rebuild. One place quoted me $1500 parts and labor which made me look more into replacing the unit as an assembly.

Last edited by TX-Excalibur; 08-26-2019 at 01:46 PM..
Old 08-26-2019, 04:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

You're getting ripped off!

Go check the price of ring & pinions from Strange, Ford etc on Summit. Price out bearings, gaskets and seals are cheap. Ask around and a couple hundred dollars would be highway robbery for setup.

The alternative is learn how to do it yourself. Buying parts and tools for yourself would be waaaaaay less expensive.

I have a short 6 page pdf file that will show you how but unbelievably it is too big to upload to the site. PM me an email address and I will send it to you.

Alternatively, write a check bigger than you want to.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 08-27-2019, 03:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX-Excalibur View Post
What is everyone's opinion of Speedway Motors regarding their rebuilt 3rd members? They are advertising 9 Inch Ford Third Member posi Assembly, 28 Spline, 3.70:1 $899.99 reduced from $1,199.99 rebuilt with a Currie CE-4026C Ford "N" nodular iron carrier housing and then install bearings, seals, a heavy duty "Daytona" pinion support, a 1310-series yoke. After applying promo code the price is reduced to $675. What do you think?
Sounds like a really good deal! For the price that it would cost you to do it yourself, just buy the unit.
TX-Excalibur likes this.

Last edited by joyridin'; 08-28-2019 at 04:32 AM..
Old 08-27-2019, 04:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyridin' View Post
Sounds like a really good deal! For the price that is would cost you to do it yourself, just buy the unit.
That is a good deal. Jump on it.

Gary
TX-Excalibur likes this.
Old 08-28-2019, 05:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 347
Not Ranked     

Ring and pinion 200.
Bearings and seals 150.
Posi 300.
Upgraded case 300.
Shop to put it together 200.
Speedway looks good!
joyridin' and TX-Excalibur like this.

Last edited by Cruisin428; 08-28-2019 at 05:41 AM..
Old 08-30-2019, 06:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisin428 View Post
Ring and pinion 200.
Bearings and seals 150.
Posi 300.
Upgraded case 300.
Shop to put it together 200.
Speedway looks good!
When I estimated the cost to do it myself your prices were pretty much in line with mine with only the labor quote of $500 being the difference. I went ahead and ordered the Speedway unit and it arrived Wednesday. I spent yesterday removing the old unit and plan to install the replacement unit today. I will be looking to sell the old unit for $300.

Last edited by TX-Excalibur; 08-30-2019 at 06:51 AM..
Old 08-31-2019, 07:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 302. 1992 build
Not Ranked     
Default Rear end

Gary, if you need any help let me know .
Old 09-01-2019, 06:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
Gary, if you need any help let me know .
Thanks Charles, I have ordered a transmission jack to support the weight of the assembly until I am able to get it into position. When it arrives I will give you a call and see if you are available. The nodular case is a lot heavier than the standard case that came out.
Old 09-01-2019, 09:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Thanks Charles, I have ordered a transmission jack to support the weight of the assembly until I am able to get it into position. When it arrives I will give you a call and see if you are available. The nodular case is a lot heavier than the standard case that came out.
Speedway lists the nodular case assembly as the same weight as a regular case. Regardless - 78.55 pounds is a bit of work and no fun when you're laying on your back and trying to get it into position. Ask me how I know. LOL

I see that unit comes with a Richmond Powertrax Grip Pro differential, which they refer to as 'limited slip'. I'm sure you're already aware, but this is a helical gear torque-sensing differential, and the same unit I've been running for about 4 years. FWIW I think it's really good, and a great choice for a Cobra. BTW, I'm running Redline Synthetic SHOCKPROOF® gear oil in mine as there are no clutch packs to worry about.

Last edited by cycleguy55; 09-01-2019 at 09:34 AM..
Old 09-01-2019, 09:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Have a Ford 9 inch positrac 28 spline 3.70 that has over 1/2 inch play in the ring and pinion. Upon inspection found that previous owner must have neglected the gear oil. Weighing new replacement vs rebuild. Need advice from members on which way to go.
While I recognize 'positrac' has become a generic term for a limited slip differential, it's really a term for GM's "Positraction" LS differentials.

Ford used 'Traction-Lok' or 'Trac-Lok' as their term for clutch pack type limited slip differentials. An earlier LS differential from Ford was 'Equa-Lock'.
Old 09-02-2019, 08:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
Speedway lists the nodular case assembly as the same weight as a regular case. Regardless - 78.55 pounds is a bit of work and no fun when you're laying on your back and trying to get it into position. Ask me how I know. LOL

I see that unit comes with a Richmond Powertrax Grip Pro differential, which they refer to as 'limited slip'. I'm sure you're already aware, but this is a helical gear torque-sensing differential, and the same unit I've been running for about 4 years. FWIW I think it's really good, and a great choice for a Cobra. BTW, I'm running Redline Synthetic SHOCKPROOF® gear oil in mine as there are no clutch packs to worry about.
Thanks cycleguy55, the 78.55 lbs weight made me curious as I noticed a definite difference between the two assemblies. So I weighed them both to satisfy my curiosity and found that the rebuilt assembly with the nodular case weighed about 7 lbs more than the old assembly. It may not seem like much but when you are trying to lift that baby into position using only your arm strength, for me it was noticeably heavier.
Old 09-02-2019, 03:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Thanks cycleguy55, the 78.55 lbs weight made me curious as I noticed a definite difference between the two assemblies. So I weighed them both to satisfy my curiosity and found that the rebuilt assembly with the nodular case weighed about 7 lbs more than the old assembly. It may not seem like much but when you are trying to lift that baby into position using only your arm strength, for me it was noticeably heavier.
What, a vendor's listings and specifications aren't 100% accurate? I'm shocked.

I've installed a 9" center section a couple of times using nothing but arm strength, and neither installation was a lot of fun.
Old 09-02-2019, 04:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
What, a vendor's listings and specifications aren't 100% accurate? I'm shocked.

I've installed a 9" center section a couple of times using nothing but arm strength, and neither installation was a lot of fun.
Yes, they are heavy, especially on your own, almost as heavy as some transmissions.

So much fun having a diff centre or trans sit on your chest.

Gary