Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Classic Roadsters II (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/classic-roadsters-ii/)
-   -   Insurance (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/classic-roadsters-ii/144726-insurance.html)

Lightingrod 04-16-2021 07:46 AM

Insurance

Any suggestions on insurance?

Tks Al

eaks 04-16-2021 07:59 AM

Looks like you are in Il? I am in Canada and did have a bit of a time getting insurance on my car. I called every broker and it all went back to Hagarty who originally told me they wouldn't insure it then later told me it was no issue at all. I ended up speaking with TD insurance who insures my house and other vehicles (one being a Lamborghini) and they said they would get back to me on it after speaking to their underwritters. I was then told they wouldn't insure it and later said they would so as soon as they said they would I made them add it to my policy. In Canada from what they have told me is it is different from province to province. Due to me living in Alberta they said that they couldn't deny coverage (I expected they would only provide liability but they did indeed provide insurance for $50k with a $500 deductible at a reasonable cost.. Will be a lot less than hagarty due to me being about to put it on storage insurance for 6-7 months of the year).

I think you are going to have to pretty much hit the phone. A broker would be your best option and once u get pricing/details from them I would call your insurance provider and say you have insurance lined up elsewhere but would like to keep everything with them and see what they can do for you.

Good Luck

SGwick 04-16-2021 08:19 AM

Hi Lightingrod,

I see you live in Belleville, IL, I live by Scott AFB too.

Just reaching out to see if you're interested in joining Gateway Cobra Club or at least invite you to check us out at https://www.gatewaycobraclub.com

Try American Modern Policy through Classic Car Insurance.

Lightingrod 04-16-2021 02:02 PM

Thanks guys!

I'll check out Gateway Cobra Club! It's strange I haven't done it already, I've had mine since 2005!

Al

SGwick 04-16-2021 03:16 PM

PM you

Hotoxide 04-17-2021 10:47 AM

Lightingrod -

My Cobra is insured thru American Modern under The Hartford. I'm an AARP member and use The Hartford for my house and other cars.

Dave and SNAKE65 - they may want photos of the car

Blue66 04-18-2021 01:43 PM

starting to look before I renew. In NH. :)

patrickt 04-18-2021 03:16 PM

Just remember that the liability coverage limits are more important than the number you pick for an agreed value of the car. You gork out your passenger while showing off and it'll cost you millions.:cool:

indianamoon 04-18-2021 03:52 PM

Read the fine print, Especially on the policies that look too good to be true. You may only be covered for drives to shows or cruise-ins. A trip to the grocery store for a gallon of milk could cost you dearly. I insure mine thru Auto Owners on my regular policy and with an agreed value. Pretty reasonable and I can go to Lowes

twobjshelbys 04-18-2021 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1491941)
Just remember that the liability coverage limits are more important than the number you pick for an agreed value of the car. You gork out your passenger while showing off and it'll cost you millions.:cool:

For that reason you also need an umbrella policy.

Sycraft 04-18-2021 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indianamoon (Post 1491943)
Read the fine print, Especially on the policies that look too good to be true. You may only be covered for drives to shows or cruise-ins. A trip to the grocery store for a gallon of milk could cost you dearly. I insure mine thru Auto Owners on my regular policy and with an agreed value. Pretty reasonable and I can go to Lowes

there is always a car show at any store you take the car too.. lol

Lightingrod 04-20-2021 09:43 AM

I wound up going through my agent and got a policy with Hagerty. $50,000.00 agreed value $816.00 a year! I thought about a seasonal (9 months or whatever) policy but at my age I don't want to waste a single warm sun-shiny day! I had some nice rides in December-January this past winter!

Speaking of winter, the past few days have been really nice, snow this afternoon and down to 28* by morning! :-(

SGwick 04-20-2021 10:22 AM

Hi Lightingrod, hope you got my message about our Gateway club garage party this Sat. The forum was having website issues the last couple of days. Hope to see you there :D Steven

Timinator 04-21-2021 04:52 AM

American Modern Insurance. They insure my Cobra 55k, and my Manx dune buggy 25K. I've had them for years with the buggy.

Lightingrod 04-21-2021 12:34 PM

Well maybe I should not have sent this photo with my insurance request! The NOS has never been fully hooked up and I just left there with the new engine! BUT they saw it! Only took 5 minutes to pull it off!

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/ser...300335/enhance

primetime1267 04-21-2021 01:18 PM

I just spoke with my Insurnace agent today and he ran me a quote for $45k value and will be paying $618 a year , being underwritten through Haggerty. $1000 deductibles on both
100k/300k coverage.

Hope this helps

Lightingrod 04-21-2021 03:53 PM

When Hagerty called today to finalize everything they dropped the price to $697.00 a year! I've not heard back from them after I sent a new photo without the NOS!

They also wanted a copy of my Umbrella Policy?

twobjshelbys 04-21-2021 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lightingrod (Post 1492101)

They also wanted a copy of my Umbrella Policy?

It's a super liability policy. If you have your daily driver and homeowners with the same company it's easy to get.

FredG 04-22-2021 10:32 AM

I have been with Hagerty since I purchased the car 3 years ago. Somewhere around $700 a year for full coverage. All they needed was an official appraisal and pictures. On the other hand, the insurer of our other 2 cars, Geico, said thank you very much but no thank you to the Cobra.

Lightingrod 04-22-2021 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twobjshelbys (Post 1492102)
It's a super liability policy. If you have your daily driver and homeowners with the same company it's easy to get.

Yes, I've had an umbrella policy for years, businesses and renal properties! However I have never had anyone ask about it when I was getting car insurance.