Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Classic Roadsters II (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/classic-roadsters-ii/)
-   -   QA1 Coilover Conversion (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/classic-roadsters-ii/145134-qa1-coilover-conversion.html)

Sycraft 08-28-2021 02:56 PM

QA1 Coilover Conversion

5 Attachment(s)
Figures Id start my own thread with my results in converting to rear coilovers. I found the brackets to use and have all the necessary items ready for installation, now to find the time to do it, have a trip coming up, so may be a bit. Here is a sneak peek at the hardware so far.

Chicagowil 08-28-2021 06:23 PM

Were the brackets from Eibach?

Thom

Sycraft 08-28-2021 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicagowil (Post 1496413)
Were the brackets from Eibach?

Thom

No, the lowers were from UPR, the uppers from outcast auto works....

Roylerumble 08-31-2021 05:38 AM

cant wait to see the install

Sycraft 08-31-2021 05:31 PM

Brackets sent out for coating

DonB 09-01-2021 06:21 PM

What rear end are you using?

Sycraft 09-01-2021 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonB (Post 1496597)
What rear end are you using?

Ford 8.8

Roylerumble 10-20-2021 08:52 PM

how's the install going? eagerly awaiting the progress

Sycraft 10-21-2021 04:10 AM

Sorry still driving the car, weather not bad enough to park...

Roylerumble 10-22-2021 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sycraft (Post 1498388)
Sorry still driving the car, weather not bad enough to park...

I get that.

RonKahn 10-23-2021 05:21 AM

I am currently building an early 90's CR with an 8.8. I will not be using the supplied springs and simple shocks, but want to switch to QA1's coilovers on the rear. Front will be too but for another discussion. Why did you have to get brackets of the rear end already has mounts on it and the shock attaches to the factory shock mount, or am I not informed on this mounting process. I want to order the shocks very soon but I won't know the total weight or spring rates needed for the rear. Any advice would help.

sunman 10-23-2021 07:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
You talking about the Classic Roadsters style like this?
I upgraded it.
New thread soon, I’ve got OSHA Safety Red and Cherry Red on frame but going Bright Red that’s on backorder.

Party On

Sycraft 10-23-2021 03:21 PM

i am not using the mounts as built on the CR. I like the double shear, 2 tabs for shock mounting and 2 bolts for brackets as opposed to 1 bolt for mounting. Hey Sunman, I do not have the horizontal shocks on my setup, I will have to look to see if I have the frame mounts for them. Are you still running these and do they make a difference.

RonKahn 10-23-2021 05:01 PM

Yes, I have the same setup, without the horizontal shock mounts on the frame. I have not decided if I am going to put them on or not. I want to make sure I can get the widest tire under the car first. Is all you did is just mount to the existing mower mounting hole on the rear end and then drill a hole on the upper shock mount? I would like to get all the same items you have there. If you can post all the part numbers for the shocks and the mounts that would be great!

RonKahn 10-23-2021 05:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZtDSQsY1xfbqaMet9https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZtDSQsY1xfbqaMet9

Sycraft 10-23-2021 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonKahn (Post 1498474)
Yes, I have the same setup, without the horizontal shock mounts on the frame. I have not decided if I am going to put them on or not. I want to make sure I can get the widest tire under the car first. Is all you did is just mount to the existing mower mounting hole on the rear end and then drill a hole on the upper shock mount? I would like to get all the same items you have there. If you can post all the part numbers for the shocks and the mounts that would be great!

I have not done it yet, but upper mount will use 1 exiting hole and second hole will b e drilled, the lower mount bolts to the axle with 2 bolts too. I believe I posted what I have used so far. But once I actually do the work, I will post pics and specify what worked. I am hoping my QA1 rears are correct, as far as I can tell and measure, they should ride right in the middle of the travel for the shock.

Sycraft 10-23-2021 07:24 PM

How hard was it to remove the perch from the control arms, I will probably do this or have a shop manufacture DOM tubing lower arms. But just removing the perch is easier and cheaper. I have new bushings (I hope) for the lower arms

RonKahn 10-24-2021 08:38 AM

I just cut off the spring ring so I could get a grinder in there, and then just ground off the welds of the rest of the plate. Just made new gussets to back inside the members for strength. It was pretty easy actually. I had a quote from Ridetech to sell me all the parts to make the lower control arms and it was going to cost almost 700bucks including powder coating. I said to myself, heck, these from CR look pretty damn good now, so I altered them and just got energy suspension urethane bushings for it. Will be way better than what CR made 30yrs ago.

RonKahn 10-24-2021 08:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Pics of them

Sycraft 10-24-2021 11:35 AM

Which energy bushings