Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sunman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2021, 11:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     
Default Excaliber

So does anyone know about the Excalibur Automotive Company of Milwaukee Wisconsin history with our cars, maybe you Sunman? Pretty sure I heard once they shared components with Gen 1. Ran across this, lineage is blatantly obvious, well at least to me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-Shelby...sAAOSwg0FgN~Bv

S/n 007 of 167, 300 cars total run. maybe . Was theirs the basis of ours or vice versa, or concurrently developed?

I don't know if I agree about the sellers statement of never being considered a "kit car" , and a higher quality assembly line build. So was ours.

Last edited by 74proii; 04-20-2021 at 12:05 PM..
Old 04-20-2021, 11:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...221-story.html

I guess spoke maybe too soon, i fopund some more info:
Excaliber cars-how many were built ?

from "cobraduke" CC member quote about side pipes (2011):
"In the process of upgrading to proper headers and side pipes to uncork it. Bob Bennett of Bennett Coachworks in Milwaukee is almost ready to start producing a complete bolt on header/exhaust for the Excalibur. Web site is Milwaukee WI Hot Rod Builders | Auto Restoration Services | Vehicle Updating | Bennett Coachworks. Knows these cars from preproduction days."

and : "guy in Oregon, "Pacific Roadster (Salem Or)". He will be duplicating the side pipes for me soon for a reasonable price"

Last edited by 74proii; 04-20-2021 at 12:06 PM..
Old 04-20-2021, 01:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74proii View Post
So does anyone know about the Excalibur Automotive Company of Milwaukee Wisconsin history with our cars, maybe you Sunman? Pretty sure I heard once they shared components with Gen 1. Ran across this, lineage is blatantly obvious, well at least to me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-Shelby...sAAOSwg0FgN~Bv

S/n 007 of 167, 300 cars total run. maybe . Was theirs the basis of ours or vice versa, or concurrently developed?

I don't know if I agree about the sellers statement of never being considered a "kit car" , and a higher quality assembly line build. So was ours.
$90K for an Excalibur? Not even if I was drunk.

Excaliburs were sold as turnkey cars - factory built, 'complete' and ready to drive away. That's obviously much different than pretty much every other Cobra replica, but with that came a number of limitations. Take a look at the undercarriage photos starting at photo 77 in this Bring-A-Trailer listing and you'll see the convoluted exhaust system, including catalytic converters. Basically a 1994-1996 Mustang drivetrain, including emissions controls.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1996-excaliber-cobra/

Old 04-20-2021, 02:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The photos of the chassis look just like a Classic Roadster chassis with minor changes. Like the seat mount pieces are flipped over. I’m looking right now. The gastank is identical. Same 94.5 wheelbase. The cowl is the same and they added a piece to cover wire harness plug. I heard back then that they were Classic Roadsters with remodeled doors. They came out right after CR filed Chapter 11 in Sept 92/ Chapter 7 Feb 93. CR could not accept new money until all orders and BOs to date were filled. Would not surprise me if Rutherford was buddy’s with the German guys who built them. Tons of info under “Excalibur Owners: Please Reply” thread link that’s in “Excalibur how many built” link above. I think CR tops fit them according to Don Scott

Last edited by sunman; 05-03-2021 at 12:54 PM..
Old 04-20-2021, 03:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ohhhhh, what a mess. I see speed bumps and potholes love that one! Talk about restrictive, half the side pipes look blocked off LA Exotics offered turn key or kits back in early nineties. Never seen them referred to like the Excaliburs. Not the first time I seen them referenced that way. You know Superformance this, CSX that, FFR and so on and so forth. Yeah we'll see if they ever land a sucker, completely nuts.
Old 04-20-2021, 03:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Me either, like we talked about. That ad has some way nice pics in there. Lots of shots of individual components. Actually quite useful for bracket design and placement if you happen to be missing them, or are confused by your pile "o" parts. Anyone else notice the sway bar mounting? haha. Plus I have never seen any soft top instructions before ( not that is all that complicated) Seriously not a fan of the bumper treatment. Not sure about the side marker lights. Don't even get me started about the "high mount brake light", completely useless legislation.There is a "history" sheet as well.

Last edited by 74proii; 04-20-2021 at 03:19 PM..
Old 05-03-2021, 09:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, 95 EFI 5.0
Not Ranked     

My buddy had one.
Excalibur was built as a commercial street car (not sure if that's the right term) so it was regulated be the vehicle standards of the day, ie emission, side indicators and stuff like that.

The engineer who had to get the exhaust system into compliance using standard parts and then the routing of it should be given a award... What a nightmare.. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the cats in there.

Yes many parts are the same.. I feel the Excalibur had a couple of advantages of the CR... The firewall was molded better providing more foot room. I think was because CR tried to make the frame accommodate big blocks as a option. Otherwise the frame is the same.

I have mixed feelings on our doors with the portion that opens into the body mimic some other English cars... (I will say it makes the CR easily identifiable though).
Old 05-05-2021, 05:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1996 Excalibur Cobra 5L HO
Not Ranked     

Guys so sorry to get off topic but I need to speak to Excalibur guys and have not been able to figure out how to post in wanted market place again I appoplogize! I need used rear COMPOMOTIVE wheels for a 1996 Excalibur Cobra my rear wheel is badly damaged and Bob with Vintage Wheels said to reach out to you guys on the site... if I was only savvy enough to do it I wouldnt bother you here can anyone help??!

Dan
dandiehl99@gmail.com
cell 407-466-6703
Old 05-05-2021, 09:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Apparently like most things, they only exist used. As according to other people Compomotive themselves cannot help. More than likely there is a new set of rims in your future.

compomotive replica knock-off

https://www.comp.co.uk/wheels/wheels...ction=hb-76-17
Old 05-08-2021, 10:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic 427, I purchased it May 2005, the kit was bought in 1991. I'm not sure when it was completed! Installed GMPP Connect & Cruise 376/525 with T-56 S/M 3.55 gears about 2 years ago! 1/4 miles is with old setup!
Not Ranked     

It all depends on your prospective!

Many years ago a friend bought a new GM truck chassis and built his own motorhome. After a few years it was stolen and found burned a couple of states away! When the insurance adjuster came around he said this was a “Home-Made Job” right? Old Bill says I prefer the term “Custom Made”! Fortunately he had documented the build and had a lot of B&W photos, they paid him what he was asking!
Old 06-17-2021, 03:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 302. 1992 build
Not Ranked     
Default Excaliber

Bulldog hereguys, haven't posted in a while. My friend has a Excaliber its a nice car seems to be well made it does share some DNA with the classic roadster. I like them !
Old 06-01-2022, 11:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Just picked up an Excalibur that was owned by BlackJack

Just picked up an Excalibur that was owned by BlackJack. Can't wait to drive it and enjoy, but first I have to clean fuel and change fluids. I also am thrilled to learn more from from this group.
Old 06-01-2022, 01:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Great ride, you have any changes planed?
I’ve talked to Bob Bennett about the Excalibur Cobras recently. He improved the Classic Roadsters chassis by making the 2x4 main rails and the rear extensions one piece mandrill bent steel instead of cut and welded. The steel shop is still there and can make more. They are turnkey cars and are federal legal. The Classics have two cowl/footbox sizes, the big block being about a 12” wide footbox on both sides. The Excalibur were the smallblock with more foot room.
Like Classics the body’s are 9” longer, 2” wider and you sit 4” lower.
Bob built the first 10 cars and owns all the prints. There are photos of Excalibur chassis being built in jigs in the Bennett Coachworks website photos.
I told him I’m going to try and get Classic Roadsters from Ryan just to make fiberglass parts and he offered the chassis prints if I want to make them too.
The Classic Roadsters hard top should fit an Excalibur.
Camelot Classic Cars is Excalibur.

Party On
MoeT likes this.

Last edited by sunman; 06-01-2022 at 05:12 PM..
Old 10-19-2023, 01:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Excalibur
Not Ranked     
Default Rack and Pinon brand for 1997 Excalibur Cobra ?

Heelo all-

Trying to post this question somewhere/here:

Can anyone tell me the Year/Make/Model of Rack and Pinon used in my 1997 Excalibur Cobra please ?

Just finished QA1 coilovers mounted (fun), brakes, and fuel pump.
All help is appreciated !

Nick in Fresno