Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2003, 02:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 427, 446 cu in Iron Eagle stroker, Trick Flow "R" heads, Comp roller, Edelbrock Thunder 800 cfm, Eaton posi, Richmond 3.27, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default Correct front end track

Can anyone tell me what the correct track for the front end of a CR is? I recently purchased some Compomotive wheels and tires from a member here and am wondering about the backspacing on the front wheels. They're wider than most....9.5" I believe and have 5.5" backspacing. They look close...( could possibly be a little wider or have a little less backspace), and I end up with about a 53" distance from the center of the tread on one wheel to the center of the tread on the other. Is that about right or should they be wider?
Thanks,
Bill
Old 08-01-2003, 06:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 427, 446 cu in Iron Eagle stroker, Trick Flow "R" heads, Comp roller, Edelbrock Thunder 800 cfm, Eaton posi, Richmond 3.27, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

OK....I installed some 1 1/4" wheel adaptors that I had laying around and now have exactly 56" for my front track...I believe that's what a Cobra runs.
Posting photos...Does this look correct and do I need to adjust height any?
Thanks,
B
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2003, 06:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

another..
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2003, 07:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CRL, 351W, Tremec TKO
Not Ranked     

What springs are you running up front (looks a little high to me).

Who is John Galt?
Old 08-01-2003, 08:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Looks high to me too Pete...Everything up front is stock as delivered from CR. I'm considering cutting enough to drop the front perhaps 3/4"...1/3 of a coil maybe....Does that sound close?
Old 08-01-2003, 09:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CRL, 351W, Tremec TKO
Not Ranked     

I cut a full coil out of my front springs, but I seem to remember I needed to drop the front a bit more. Try 1/3 of a coil and see what it looks like.

Don and DV could probably give you a better (more informed) opinion!

Who is John Galt?
Old 08-01-2003, 09:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Pete...I'll wait for more input before I get crazy with the porta band!
Old 08-02-2003, 06:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

fxbill,
I love the last line of your "byline"!

The nose does look a little high. Look at the front springs and try and determine if they have already been cut. The original manual had you cutting a full 3/4 out of the fronts. Ground clearance on the nose, on level ground should be around 4 1/2 to 5"s.

With your motor and using a stock front end, if you decide to drop it anymore...go slow...a little cut goes a long way!

DV...Fx-does your car launch "hard left" on a three thousand RPM launch? I can help!
Old 08-02-2003, 02:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks DV... I've heard stories about your launches...and the air you see under the front tires!lol
A few people have mentioned that I needed to address traction....I've been waiting to talk with you about it. Can you email me? fxbill@attbi.com
Also...I've been talking with Ron about a Cobra that he's about to buy and his choice of engines. I believe you're going to do the work for him. I think I've convinced him to stay away from a big block and go with a stroker... I think he said that's the direction you were going with him as well.
Thanks again,
Bill
PS....My car doesn't "launch" at all...even at 2000 rpm...it just sits there waiting for the smoke to clear and then slowly begins to slide it's way down the road!

Last edited by fxbill; 08-02-2003 at 02:27 PM..
Old 08-02-2003, 03:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

LOL
Ron Knowles? I simply told him that if he had to have a BB I would be more than glad to built it for him! I also tried to explain to him that a correctly stroked SB, "can" be more advantageous than a BB, "in some" situations.

Sound...BB
Torque..BB at the top end!
Driveability...SB (Am I going to catch all kinds of smut on this one!)
Autocross...Almost always SB
Road Course...almost always SB
Drag race...Now that's a tuff one
Cool factor...Almost always BB !

Disclaimer: THE ABOVE IS BASED ON A STOCK SVO 460 W/ALUMINUM HEADS vs. a properly stroked 351

All the preceedings are my own thoughts and observations which I can not, and will not be held accountable for!

DV...if you see Ron before we do, tell him we are now pushing 16 and I am sure 17 by tomorrow afternoon. We will be cutting this off at 20...tops!
Old 08-02-2003, 03:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I actually don't "see" Ron....He lives north of me almost 1000 miles, but we email each other.. I'll let him know though.
Now......back to traction!!!! Is there a shop number you can be reached at?
Old 08-03-2003, 09:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If you didn't get my e-mail...it's 740-852-5280.
Anyday is good, I live here

DV...it only takes 100 rwhp to smoke the tires!