Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2004, 01:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, 302->351
Not Ranked     
Default inboard MSD mounting question

After getting a good mental picture of how the holes in the passenger compartment side of the firewall match up to the holes in the engine bay side, I've decided to mount my MSD box on the firewall underneath the glove box (basically the passenger side of the back wall of the battery tray).

My question is about a hole in the firewall that currently has a vacuum line (in my case, unplumbed - it was disconnected I think at the time I ditched the stock emissions stuff). This hose routes to somewhere under the dash that I haven't followed yet. My plan is to use this hole to pass all the MSD wires to the appropriate endpoints in the engine bay. First, any problems with removing the vacuum line? Second, it currently appears to be sealed with some sort of black goo - any idea what this is?

Thanks,

JLW
Old 08-01-2004, 02:32 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR- 351w tremec
Not Ranked     

on my car the hole is where I ran the vacumn tube for the heater and defrost heat control valve to the heater controls I have the Vintage Air unit. I mounted the MSD unit passenger side inside above their feet Harold
Old 08-01-2004, 03:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

JLW I mounted my MSD to the bottom of the glove box. I have the air duct blowing on it to keep it cool. Get a rubber groument to run the wires through the firewall. Make sure they are insulated to not let them rub on anything. You should get zip lock straps with the screw eyelets to hold the harness in place. Grouments you can get at most auto stores like pepboys and auto zone. The goo is dum-dum sealant. It's a puddy. It's the same as weatherstrip sealer. Good luck Rick Lake
Old 08-02-2004, 07:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question carpet insulation

HOW do you cut this stuff?!?!? I haven't even gotten to the carpet yet, although I'm hoping that it's easier.

I need to cut holes because the mounting legs of the MSD are so short they have to be right up against the firewall.

Thanks,

JLW
Old 08-03-2004, 03:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

JLW with a razor knife or carpet knife. Have you tryed to mountit to the bottom of your glove box? That box gets hot and needs air flow to keep it cool. Rick Lake
Old 08-07-2004, 10:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Utility snips

Found the right tool for cutting insulation and carpet (and probably anything else) at Sears - it's called "utility snips", and looks like a regular pair of scissors or clippers, but with a flat surface in place of one of the blades. The snips cut right through the insulation where I hadn't made any headway with any other tool.

Got a request for Rick - can you take and post or send me pictures of your MSD setup? I like the idea of routing some air past the box, but am not visualizing what you've done.

Thanks,

JLW
Old 08-07-2004, 12:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

JLW ERA has a foot box with an air hose from the front of he car. I mounted both the F.A.S.T. ECU and the MSD to the bottom of the glove box. I added hose to the foot box opening and it blows air on both boxes. Got the hose at Homedepot $10.00 works good at moving the air. I don't have a camera to send you pictures of. Sorry Rick Lake