Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2014, 06:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR RT3 / Iconic 427/535HP, picked her up on 6/4/14
Not Ranked     
Default New member in Hollywood, FL

I hope to be ordering, either from something already built that they have in stock or a custom build if they don't have close to what I want, a Cobra Replica from BDR in Boynton Beach, FL sometime around the March, 2014 time frame. Need some time to get the money together but I'm leaning towards White with Black Stripes, Black Interior and a Roush 427. Currently own a 2002 Corvette Coupe in Torch Red with a Black Interior that I'll trade towards the BDR. Just thought I'd say Hi and introduce myself.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance with Roush 427 R
Not Ranked     

Hi Jon. We have a lot in common....I sold my '03 ZO6 and then bought my SP Cobra with a Roush 427! GL in your search
Old 01-14-2014, 01:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks! Any regrets going from your 'vette to the Cobra?
Old 01-14-2014, 02:09 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInFL View Post
I hope to be ordering, either from something already built that they have in stock or a custom build if they don't have close to what I want, a Cobra Replica from BDR in Boynton Beach, FL sometime around the March, 2014 time frame. Need some time to get the money together but I'm leaning towards White with Black Stripes, Black Interior and a Roush 427. Currently own a 2002 Corvette Coupe in Torch Red with a Black Interior that I'll trade towards the BDR. Just thought I'd say Hi and introduce myself.
Interesting cross step, going from the late model Corvette to a Cobra replica. Any reason why you choose the BDR with a small block? Was it the advertising that got to you, or did you get a chance to see them side by side with other Cobra replicas first?

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 01-15-2014, 10:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A few reasons I'm going with BDR. They are right up the road from me in Boynton Beach. I've stopped in and looked at their cars and I'm very impressed with them. They've been around for a while now and they have a very good reputation from everything I've read. I've had a chance to listen to one of the BDR's with a Roush 427 in it and it sounds exquisite, so good that I wouldn't even consider putting a stereo in it as it's the engine I'll be listening to. I still need to take a test drive, but I expect to be equally impressed based on all the threads I've seen from existing BDR owners. Of course, if I'm not as impressed after test driving one, my decision may very well change.

I'm actually a little torn as I do love the new Stingray's, however, I've had my C5 for 12 years now and the novelty has worn off. Don't get me wrong, I still love it but it feels pretty tame to me now. In addition, it would cost me close to 70K to get a Stingray configured the way I want it whereas a BDR will come in at about 55K the way I want it configured. 15K is a considerable difference and it will be hard enough scraping together 55K for the BDR.

My thinking is that a Cobra Replica with a 550HP 427 in it will keep that smile on my face for another 10 years + as my 'vette did for the past 12 years: )
Old 01-15-2014, 10:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

One other thing I should note. While I love cars and I love motorcycles, I am not mechanically inclined and about the only thing I can do on a car is change the air filter or the oil. A big advantage of BDR is their proximity to me if I have any issues or want to have any work done on the car.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:16 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
My thinking is that a Cobra Replica with a 550HP 427 in it will keep that smile on my face for another 10 years + as my 'vette did for the past 12 years: )
You might want to reconsider the drivetrain, as 550hp in a 90" wheelbase, 2,100lb car is not like anything else you have ever driven. 500hp in a late model vette (weighing twice as much) is far more civilized and is to be driven on the street differently. 200hp is enough to kill you in a Cobra......

Just saying

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 01-15-2014, 11:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 1048
Not Ranked     

I fully understand I to have a 2008 Corvette and just purchase a BDR. I haven't had much time to take it out since the weather in New Jersey sucks. I have a 408 with 500hp and it blows the vette away far away. You need to be very careful and respect the power in all gears and remember all the vette safety devices are gone on the Cobra. I look at it as if I'm renting a toy that puts a smile on my face.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Understood, it'll be an increase of 200 HP and a decrease of 1,000 lbs, compared to my 'vette. I fully expect it to be "stupid fast" but that's kind of what I'm looking for. Believe me, I understand the car will need to be treated with respect, my 'vette's traction control bailed me out several times on wet roads and there's nothing to bail me out in any of these Cobra Replica's.

Sometime during this month or next, I will be going back up to Backdraft to test drive one. When I was up there a few weeks ago it was raining, hence the need to head back up there for a test drive on a nice clear Saturday.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Thanks! Any regrets going from your 'vette to the Cobra?
ZERO. Almost bought the Cobra right before buying the Vette - just got cold feet of basically buying a motorcycle and not a third car that could be driven at anytime IF need be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by genolan View Post
I fully understand I to have a 2008 Corvette and just purchase a BDR. I haven't had much time to take it out since the weather in New Jersey sucks. I have a 408 with 500hp and it blows the vette away far away. You need to be very careful and respect the power in all gears and remember all the vette safety devices are gone on the Cobra. I look at it as if I'm renting a toy that puts a smile on my face.
100%!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
You might want to reconsider the drivetrain, as 550hp in a 90" wheelbase, 2,100lb car is not like anything else you have ever driven. 500hp in a late model vette (weighing twice as much) is far more civilized and is to be driven on the street differently. 200hp is enough to kill you in a Cobra......

Just saying

Bill S.
Bill is giving it to you straight. I have the 550HP all aluminum Roush racing motor in my superformance and it is not like any other vehicle I have driven in my lifetime. You have to have mad respect at ALL TIMES or it will bite you. 200hp is enough to kill you, 350-400HP is probably more than sufficient to have a great/fast car.

GL!
Old 02-03-2014, 08:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, I did it. I placed my order on 2/1/14 with Backdraft Racing in Boynton Beach, FL, about 25 miles north of me. They didn't have anything built in the color I want with the engine I want, so it won't be until sometime in April when I actually get it. I ordered it in White with Black Stripes. As much as I really wanted a Roush 427 Stroker 550HP Engine, I just couldn't justify an extra $5000. over BDR's Iconic 427 Stroker 535HP engine, so I went with the Iconic. I'm also getting dual roll bars. I know, the chances of flipping while doing mostly street driving are slim, but, I'd never forgive myself if I did flip it while driving with a passenger. Now, the hardest part... waiting: )

Last edited by JonInFL; 02-03-2014 at 08:36 AM..
Old 02-03-2014, 09:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF
Not Ranked     

congrats.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

welcome, check out our website at Finish Line Accessories we are located not to far from you. We have all your Cobra accessories needs if you dont see it on our website we can get it for you.
Thanks
Mickey
954-436-9101
Old 02-06-2014, 09:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good luck with it! Please post some pictures when you get it.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF
Not Ranked     

congrats!!
Old 02-06-2014, 04:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 S/C W/Holmon Moody Original Nascar build #508 Iron Block/heads (C5AE-H) Bal/Blu 427 Sideoiler; 780 Holley Dbl. Pump; 4 Speed Top Loader; AP Racing Bks; IRS; 15" Trigo pins
Not Ranked     

WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION

THERE IS NO CURE
Old 02-08-2014, 05:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302
Not Ranked     

Congrats! Since you got dual roll bars now you can use some of the money you saved on the engine to get some professional instruction at PBIR...
Old 02-08-2014, 05:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 8000 Slab Side series, 289 High Pro , Eight Stack EFI system ,TKO500
Not Ranked     

My last car before buying a Cobra was a 67 Corvette Big Block 427/435 hp, it was a Beast, the Cobra is Satan himself... Be Careful my friend...
think your neighbors have too many kids.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #432. Ford stroker 347 450hp
Not Ranked     

I did a swap from a 2011 Grand Sport Vett to a used Backdraft #432 about a year ago. love it for just fun driving and many many thumbs up on the road. Only neg is the cobra is strictly a fair weather car. The soft top helps, but there is no comparison of useability And my 347 striker 450hp is scary fast!
Old 02-11-2014, 06:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by calSRQ View Post
Congrats! Since you got dual roll bars now you can use some of the money you saved on the engine to get some professional instruction at PBIR...
Definitely something I'm considering after I've had it a little while and got a good feel for it: )

Tags
back draft racing, bdr, corvette