Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2014, 05:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default New to the board and starting my search for a Cobra in Canada

Hey...

Well, been on this site quite a bit over the past few years, but now that I begin a search for my wife's and mine dream car thought I better join up.
Been a car nut since I was a kid, but as with most of us that passion kinda died while raised a family and work etc...but now with the kids gone its time to get back into it...
When I was 19 built a 1975 trans-am to try and beat the US east to west speed record, (Cannonball Run LOL) from Flint Michigan to San Fran....40 hours 26 minutes....but since that time its been SUV and no real car hobby.
My passion for cobras was ignited in 1965, ( I was 5), when my older sisters boyfriend came by to pick here up....he had just purchased a cobra, guardsman blue....While he was waiting for her to get ready he offered to take me for a spin....WOW...that was it...SNAKEBIT!
50 years later I now begin the journey to acquire one...cant afford the real thing so am looking for replica. Not a lot to choose from here in Canada (Cobourg, Ontario), see tons of great buys in US...
Looking forward to contributing as I can, and of course gaining knowledge from a lot of the vets on this site...

Thanks and regards
Mike
Old 10-18-2014, 06:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3542K, 347 C. I., EFI, T-5, Miata Front Sway Bar, 3 Link, Red with White Stripes
Not Ranked     

Welcome to the forum.
FFR3542K, 347, Holley Sniper EFI, T-5, 4 Wheel Discs, 3-Link, Miata Front Sway Bar, Red with White Stripes
Old 10-18-2014, 07:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR track car, SL-C track car
Not Ranked     

Welcome,
There are quite a few Canadians on the board who should be able to help. I understand Canada has some requirements that make it harder to get a Cobra into the country, but they should be able to help you navigate that.

Keep us posted on what you end up with!
Old 10-18-2014, 08:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Superformance w/392 stroker
Not Ranked     

Hi Mike and welcome to the madness!

Like you, I began my Cobra replica search in earnest about six years ago. I looked at resale, complete cars in Canada and the U.S. and gained a pretty good understanding of the ins and outs. I bought my Superformance MkIII about five years ago and LOVE IT.

There are plenty of Cobra replicas in Canada, from various makers. The quality varies widely, from high-quality authentic cars to undrivable crap. It'll take time to find the right car, but there are some nice ones out there.

There are lots of nice older cars in the U.S., but few that will have the proper paperwork to prove they're at least 15 years old. You might want to read through some of my previous posts on the importing process.

Insuring Cobra replicas in Ontario is tough. Very few insurers will cover them. Lots of owners find themselves on Facility Association. On the other hand, my Superformance -- being a factory-made car -- qualifies for a terrific collector car program with Zehr.

I try to keep tabs on the Cobra replicas that come up for sale across Canada. Some of the owners I know, many I don't. But I might be able to help you locate a nice car.

By the way, there is a Cobra for sale in Cobourg right now. The ad doesn't specify which maker it is. It has a Chevy 383 stroker with an automatic transmission, and the seller is asking $45,000. I don't know this car or seller personally.

Autotrader ad: 1966 AC Cobra for $45,000 in COBOURG | autoTRADER.ca
Old 10-18-2014, 08:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I just remembered: A guy I know will be offering his Johnex Cobra for sale at the Toronto Fall Classic Car Auction at the International Centre on Oct 31-Nov 2 (Fri-Sun). I believe it crosses the block on Sunday. It's a nice car. You might want to check it out.

Drivetrain is a 428 with 4-speed top-loader.

Here's the auction listing: Collector Car Productions

Old 10-18-2014, 09:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

All, thanks for the welcome!

Sundude, Hoped you would chime in...
How the heck did you find that one on autotrader...I just searched last nite, LOL
Not what I am looking for, but thanks.
BTW been reading tons of your posts and info...so helpful....
Also thanks for the Car Auction info....wife and I now have it in the calendar.
I realize I have tons of info to digest to ensure I get as close to the "right" car, on the first pass. I really am leaning to SPF, as it really seems to fit with what I am looking for.
Not looking for a show queen, I want to drive. Seems like so many choices for drivetrain etc....
Biggest thing is finding a car to test drive...so I have some understanding of whether a car is right for me or not....wish there was an SPF dealer around LOL...
I am in no hurry, there is one SPF here in Ontario but again, don't think its the right one for me....
If you don't mind, I may want to pick your brain as it sounds like you have travelled the road that I am just starting out on.....
Really looking forward to the journey, as is my wife.
Thanks, and if you hear of any cobras out there let me know.

Best regards
Mike
Old 10-18-2014, 11:33 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeylikesit View Post
....wish there was an SPF dealer around
But there is one just over the border! While we can't sell you a new roller, we can help with a test ride and other info.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 10-18-2014, 12:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

There is a Canadian 'Community' in Club Cobra - check it out and subscribe to updates.

If you're planning on importing a car, check out Transport Canada's Web site and do lots of reading there as well as on Club Cobra. Feel free to reach out to Canadian owners as well to understand the process, timelines, grief and aggravation. Almost forgot, don't even think about importing a completed car unless you can PROVE to Canada Customs / Canada Border Services Agency that the car meets the minimum age requirement of 15 years.

Last edited by cycleguy55; 10-18-2014 at 12:03 PM..
Old 10-18-2014, 12:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mike,

PM me your email address, and we can correspond that way.

I know of a few SPF Cobras around where the owners are considering selling.

If you're ever in Ottawa, I'd be happy to show you my car. I'm still driving it as long as the fall weather stays nice and dry.

Brian
Old 10-18-2014, 01:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I was at Legendary Motorcar in Milton last week, and the salesman mentioned that an official continuation-series 289 FIA Cobra (CSX7048) will be coming in soon. It'll be priced around $125K.

Old 10-18-2014, 01:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

Their is a really nice Superformance wit a Roush 427IR on Cobra County,
the car is in Montreal Quebec.

http://www.cobracountry.com/cobra4sa...gne-qc-BIG.jpg
Old 10-18-2014, 01:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

Mike......experienced registering an out of state Cobra in CT that was legally registered, but CT inspection and registration is unique for kit cars, aka Composite.

Just seems that it would be easier to register a Cobra in Canada for a new owner that is currently registered and insured in Canada rather than importing. Might check if the provinces or the inspection/registering authority is the same for all of Canada, or are there unique requirements in different Canadian locations, such as emissions, proof of ownership with Bills of Sale on driveline parts, VIN verification, etc.

Enjoy.......
Old 10-19-2014, 06:15 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M 427 Top Oiler stroked to 482 by KC, Stage 2 heads, a Quikfuel and Voila, 640 hp
Not Ranked     

Go to Cobracountry.com and sign up for notification of Canadian Cobras for sale or eligible for import. It's right on the cobras for sale home page.

Tim

Douglas Adams - Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy
Old 10-19-2014, 10:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDude View Post
Mike,

PM me your email address, and we can correspond that way.

I know of a few SPF Cobras around where the owners are considering selling.

If you're ever in Ottawa, I'd be happy to show you my car. I'm still driving it as long as the fall weather stays nice and dry.

Brian
Hey Brian, I will PM you...thanks so much...up in Ottawa fairly often as we have a cottage in the Land O lakes region.

Mike
Old 10-19-2014, 10:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
But there is one just over the border! While we can't sell you a new roller, we can help with a test ride and other info.

Thanks MarkIV....appreciate the offer....and may just take you up on it

Mike
Old 10-19-2014, 10:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
There is a Canadian 'Community' in Club Cobra - check it out and subscribe to updates.

If you're planning on importing a car, check out Transport Canada's Web site and do lots of reading there as well as on Club Cobra. Feel free to reach out to Canadian owners as well to understand the process, timelines, grief and aggravation. Almost forgot, don't even think about importing a completed car unless you can PROVE to Canada Customs / Canada Border Services Agency that the car meets the minimum age requirement of 15 years.
Registered for updates and notifications here about 2 months ago...

Mike
Old 10-19-2014, 10:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
Mike......experienced registering an out of state Cobra in CT that was legally registered, but CT inspection and registration is unique for kit cars, aka Composite.

Just seems that it would be easier to register a Cobra in Canada for a new owner that is currently registered and insured in Canada rather than importing. Might check if the provinces or the inspection/registering authority is the same for all of Canada, or are there unique requirements in different Canadian locations, such as emissions, proof of ownership with Bills of Sale on driveline parts, VIN verification, etc.

Enjoy.......
Thanks Don, definitely plan to do any homework if I find something in US...
$$ exchange + duty etc...are also issues

Mike
Old 10-19-2014, 10:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Oh Ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankM1 View Post
Their is a really nice Superformance wit a Roush 427IR on Cobra County,
the car is in Montreal Quebec.

http://www.cobracountry.com/cobra4sa...gne-qc-BIG.jpg
Frank,

Oh ya, I saw this one...definitely a beauty....but unfortunately out of my budget. Like everything about this car including color
Max spending $ are 50 to 60K CDN....I know this narrows choice of cars, especially for SPF car here in Canada.

Thanks
Mike
Old 10-22-2014, 11:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

What about an unfinished project? there is one in northern New brunswick for
12K. Has a cobra drive train but does not say the make of the kit.
It is listed on kijiji.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermn8r View Post
What about an unfinished project? there is one in northern New brunswick for
12K. Has a cobra drive train but does not say the make of the kit.
It is listed on kijiji.
Thanks but no thanks, not looking for another project

Mike