Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By cycleguy55
  • 1 Post By TuckerJ
  • 1 Post By Ron61

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2015, 07:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2012 Lone Star LS427
Not Ranked     
Default New (to me) Cobra on the way

Hi all

I just purchased a 2014 build Lone Star Cobra which I should have in a couple of weeks. I'm 62 and have wanted one since around 1966 when I saw one in an old black and white Elvis movie.

The dealer warned me about how quick the car is and the insurance guy called me and said they like to interview new Cobra owners to determine if they have any big HP history.

So....Some one please tell me that is possible to apply throttle, feather the clutch and make the car go without just spinning in 3 circles and diving over the hill.

Can't wait for the car and weather to drive in.

Thanks for having me.

TuckerJ
Old 03-19-2015, 07:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3542K, 347 C. I., EFI, T-5, Miata Front Sway Bar, 3 Link, Red with White Stripes
Not Ranked     

Welcome to the madness! If you have experience with stick shift cars. You should be OK. Just remember these cars are light with lots of power. So they can get away from you if you are too heavy on the gas even in some of the upper gears. With a little practice you will understand your new car and it's qualities.
Join your local Cobra Club and you can get lots of drive time with other Cobra owners.
FFR3542K, 347, Holley Sniper EFI, T-5, 4 Wheel Discs, 3-Link, Miata Front Sway Bar, Red with White Stripes
Old 03-19-2015, 08:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Depends on the car and set up. As said above, these are light weight cars, with a short wheel base, and no computer controls. If you're not careful, they can get hairy.

But, that all depends on the car. What engine is in there? An essentially stock 5.0 is a reasonable car, and fairly easy to drive. A radical supercharged big block,..........

Suspension set up is very important. A mild small block with a poor suspension can be difficult to drive. You can't just bolt the suspension together and go driving. It needs to be set up and tuned properly to be safe and fun.

There's no such thing as too much power, only not enough control.

Take it easy, learn the car, and have a great time!
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 03-19-2015, 09:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Patience is a virtue - especially with these cars. Don't be in a big hurry to explore the limits - any of them. Take your time to learn about the car and its quirks before you start pushing it and, even then, do it gradually.

My view is these cars were called Cobras because they can strike quickly - and that also means bite you in the a** if you're not careful. Just my $0.02.
Ron61 likes this.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

Tucker.....All the above is true. Two years ago I was where you are now. Getting my first Cobra after a 45 yr wait. I got all the warnings about the car, easy to get away from you, snap spins, short wheelbase car dangers etc. Now after having mine for 2 yrs and changing engines to get more hp I've got a good feel for the car. The bottom line is this. It's all about throttle control. You are in charge and if you drive it with respect, use the throttle appropriately, you won't have a problem. Too much throttle, especially in or coming out of turn will get you in trouble. Respect your car and it's power and ennoy.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

There's an interesting and entertaining thread on the FFR Forums titled "A few reminders to all owners & a good read for soon to be's" - worth reading.

A few reminders to all owners & a good read for soon to be's
Old 03-19-2015, 10:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2012 Lone Star LS427
Not Ranked     

Thanks all

I'm not really expecting trouble or at least I wasn't until these guys made it sound like you turn the key and you wreck and thats that.

I've never had anything with this HP to weight ratio but I grew up, probably like most of you, cutting donuts and driving cars that weren't fast way to fast on WV's crooked roads. I've had a few fairly fast sports cars and at least one wicked fast motorcycle and a whole lot of junkers along the way.

Most of the attitude that would cause me trouble with the Cobra went away somewhere around my 50th birthday.

I look forward to belonging to this forum. I'm waiting for the car to arrive before posting pictures. I'm afraid someone might remember seeing this car hanging in a tree somewhere.

TuckerJ
cycleguy55 likes this.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:37 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Smile

Congratulations Tucker. And as said above, don't be in to big of a hurry to find the car and your limits. I have never taken anyone for a ride in any of my cars until I have them for a week or more and have kind of sorted out what they can do and what I can do. You will have a lot of fun in the Cobra and that is what it should be. If you really want to learn about it and there is a track near you, go to one of the driving schools where they let you drive your own car. You will learn a lot.

Ron
cycleguy55 likes this.

View my Miscellaneous Gallery

Last edited by Ron61; 03-20-2015 at 02:16 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-19-2015, 11:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1309 www.spfowners.freeforums.net
Not Ranked     

Congrats!

http://spfowners.freeforums.net/