Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself) (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/club-cobra-introduction-forum-introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Took 53 years to get here. (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/club-cobra-introduction-forum-introduce-yourself/137182-took-53-years-get-here.html)

Alfa02 09-07-2016 01:57 PM

Took 53 years to get here.

4 Attachment(s)
Hi Everyone, as the title said. Took 53 years to get this far. I've wanted any kind of Cobra, since I was 8 years old. In 1963 at the Kent races(Pacific Raceways) I was able to get a ride in Ken Miles's 289 Cobra (The Cobra drivers were giving Workers rides after they cleaned all the Vette's clock's on track). My father was a SCCA worker, and they thought it would be fun to put a 8year old kid, in the Pass. seat of Ken's car. He did 2-laps at about 9-tenth's, that locked it with me, a "Cobra" fan forever. Over the years a real Cobra was just out-of-reach, and so Datsun Z, Mazda RX-7, etc, has gotten me though, till now. A long story short this Cobra dropped in my lap. A Classic Roadster, with a real 427 Side Oiler. It's 80% completed (Paint, and int). The story in it self, is a once in a lifetime chance. I will post it later. I'm so happy just to be here, and look forward to getting her done and on the road. I hope i'll be able ask question's with my build, and if any one has done the Classic Roadster's kit. I live in the northwest (Washington) and hope to find more members around here. Thank you, Tom.

Silversmith 09-07-2016 02:37 PM

:)WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION:) :eek:THERE IS NOOO CURE !! :eek:

1795 09-07-2016 02:43 PM

Enjoy and keep the pictures coming as your build progresses. There are a lot of knowledgable people here who can provide advice along the way.

66gtk 09-07-2016 03:05 PM

Did I understand you correctly? You got a ride with Ken Miles for 2 laps at 9/10ths? How on earth did you not **** yourself?

MOTORHEAD 09-07-2016 03:26 PM

Tom: Welcome to the looney bin ! I can't imagine a more traumatic introduction to Cobra's than yours !! I also can't imagine how you waited so long to do something about it !
The Cobra Gods are smiling on you for sure, first the ride with THE Cobra guy (IMHO), and then a Cobra drops in your lap!, and then you find this site, which will prove to be your greatest source of help in the coming months ! Sounds like a trifecta to me!
Looks like you've got the garage/shop for the project also !
Good Luck with it, we're here to help !

Ted

Alfa02 09-07-2016 04:08 PM

You did read correctly, My father was the head Pit Marshal at Pacific Raceways from 1961-74, I got to meet the great's from that era. Dan Gurney, Phil Hill, Mark Donohue(My Hero), Jim Hall, Ken Miles, etc. I'd go to school(small, small town) on Monday and tell my friends who I got to meet and they say who do they play for, lol. The reason it took so long, I gave up on finding a "nice" kit Cobra as being out of my price range. This Cobra came to being mine, as I went to look for a scooter as a partial trade on a V-8 conversion Datsun-Z car. Ended up buying the vintage Cushman scooter too. The gentleman has had the Cobra since the late 80's early 90's couldn't remember. Anyway he was moving and decided the Cobra wasn't coming with him. The first time it turned a wheel under it own power was loading it in the trailer. Right place, right time. With my Mustang(trade) and big pile of cash both were mine. The next time my Cobra will be for sale is my Estate sale, lol.

Gun Doc 09-08-2016 10:46 AM

Welcome Tom! I am just down the road from you in Gig Harbor. There are a few other Cobras around that usually show up at Griots the 1st Saturday of the month - there were three of us there this month. There is also a section on here for the NW Cobra crowd under "Club Forums" section.

Alfa02 09-08-2016 06:05 PM

@gundoc Thank you for your offer, we will meet up soon. If you get a chance, I hang out at Old School Garage here in Port Orchard, maybe take a run up and see the shop. We only work on vintage car's, Joe (owner) is a ex-Porsche racing mech. from the factory. And has owned a shop in Seattle that did full on restoration's. Now he can be semi-retired and pick and choose want he want's to work on. We even have a real 289 that has work done there. I'm looking for a pair of door latches, and no one has any in stock? Where do I go to find some? It look's like next week my car will be at the shop for some work before going to the paint shop, maybe stop up then? You can call at this #360 801 4510, Thank's again Tom.

xb-60 09-09-2016 04:55 AM

Sounds like there's some more of the story to be told Tom. We're all ears. I don't know of anybody else who has been in a race Cobra with the great Ken Miles!

What's the Alfa connection?

Cheers,
Glen

Ron61 09-09-2016 07:21 AM

Tom,

That is a great introduction and you have had an experience with Ken Miles that very few ever had. That is a nice looking Cobra that you have and like many of us, an original is out of our price range.
Have fun and enjoy it but be safe.

Ron

moore_rb 09-09-2016 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfa02 (Post 1402784)
A long story short this Cobra dropped in my lap. A Classic Roadster, with a real 427 Side Oiler. It's 80% completed (Paint, and int). The story in it self, is a once in a lifetime chance.

Welcome Tom! Ken Miles - What a cool experience that would have been, for any kid...

Funny- Your introduction to Classic Roadsters mirrors mine (with the car just falling into your lap- mine had been under a car cover, in a garage, for the past 10+ years, suffering from terminal computer/engine management gremlins which prevented it from running for more than about 20 minutes at a time)

Yours is in the perfect state of completion, in my opinion - Nothing left but to add except all the styling and detail touches that will make it your own...

The ClassicRoadster community here is really strong with solid tech guys- One of them is even an "Original owner, and 2nd time builder"- Rob Gray in Florida is tearing his car back down after over 20 years of ownership, and is re-doing the whole car with updated brakes, suspension, etc.

and, of course, Ed Combs, the immortal "Double Venom" who has been a fixture in the ClassicRoadster community since the early 90's is still around, and is still the poster boy behind the immortal question "Why can't a Cobra have a V10...?"

Enjoy the ride - It's just getting started...

rbgray1 09-09-2016 09:00 AM

Alfa,

Welcome to the insanity ward! Lebotomies or Electric shock therapies are performed daily.

If you ever need any input or feedback, let me know, I'd be happy to help. I don't have all the answers as there are many variations to completing CRs, but will convey what works for me. All of the other forum members (Classic Roadsters II) are also extremely helpful to me.

My story:
Over 30 years ago I started in this crazy Automotive business as a bodyman at a Ford Dealership in the Chicago area. After 6-7 years as a bodyman, I was recruited by one of the major Automotive Coatings manufacturers to join them. I worked for Sherwin-Williams Automotive for 25 years(first as a Sales Rep, then escalated to various management positions, and finally as Marketing Director for my final 8 years with the company. A good friend of mine in the industry recruited me away from SW to join ITW Evercoat about 5.5 years ago as a Sales Executive (we make many of the products you're probably familiar with..Rage, Metal Glass, Fiberglass Resin, matting etc.)

I got involved with all the body and paint work on a CR Sebring MX build with a friend of mine back in 1989 that ended up on the cover of Kit Car magazine (sometime in late 1989) and it got me hooked

I built an original CR1 427(looks like the same body chassis you have)back in 1990 for my brother. He purchased all the parts, kit, etc....and I did all the assembly, body and paint. He drove it for the last 26 years and due to his business growing, didn't have time for it anymore. I bought the car back from him in late February and am currently doing a full body off, tear down to bare frame rebuild, suspension upgrade, brake upgrade, everything upgrade including new paint color and scheme. If you need any help, let us know.

My only problem is that I reside in the Cleveland Ohio area in the summer (where the car is located) and in Ft Myers, FL in the winter, so the time I have for my rebuild is limited to the summer months. I'm trying to get the all the suspensions upgrades done before my wife and I head to FL for the winter. I'll be suffering from withdrawals all winter this year thinking about all the car stuff I could be working on. My overall plan is to try to complete everything by October 2017 and then take the car to Florida permanently as my Winter FL toy.

Reach out, we'll all do whatever we can to help you complete your build. For all of us doing build work, some days are definitely better than others. Keep calm, have a beer, and attack again when your head clears after a bad day.

Alfa02 09-09-2016 09:16 AM

First off, Thank you Gentleman for the kind word's, I feel part of the club already. Second-@Ron61: I have nothing but respect for my Cobra, 527HP and 2300? lbs, yes the first couple months her & I will dance slowly, to get to know each other, lol. @xb-60 my connection with Alfa's, I brought a yellow 66 GTV back in 1991 and she was my vintage racer, her history started in 66, as a race car her whole life, we raced here in the northwest(Sovren) till the early 2000's, My favorite race car every. 02 was my race#. Now the Ken Miles story: My father who was my hero, got into sports cars in the early 60's. ("new" 1962 Volvo P-1800, first one on the west coast) in the 60's my dad finally at 40+years was able to afford something fun, brought the Volvo and him & I went to the races. He ended up bring a SCCA Pit Marshal, and me being just a kid, was always there to polish wheels or cars for the racer's while dad worked. When the Shelby crew was here(1963) I spent 99% of my time hanging around their pits. Loud guy's with LOUD CARS, polished Mag's, cars, etc. So the end of the weekend, while they were giving rides to worker's they threw me in Ken's car. After the two laps Ken looked over and I think he was disappointed that he hadn't scared the **** out of me, no I had the biggest grin on my face. I remember him steering with the throttle, the best ride in a race car ever!!! I knew who all these guy were, I read every mag(Road&Track, Car&Driver, Sports Car Graphics, Autoweek,etc). Later on i'll tell you guy's the weekend I spent(1968, I was 13) with Mark Donohue(trans-am race Kent) at the track. Again thank you for all the kind, Tom.

cycleguy55 09-09-2016 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfa02 (Post 1403001)
First off, Thank you Gentleman for the kind word's, I feel part of the club already. Second-@Ron61: I have nothing but respect for my Cobra, 527HP and 2300? lbs, yes the first couple months her & I will dance slowly, to get to know each other, lol. @xb-60 my connection with Alfa's, I brought a yellow 66 GTV back in 1991 and she was my vintage racer, her history started in 66, as a race car her whole life, we raced here in the northwest(Sovren) till the early 2000's, My favorite race car every. 02 was my race#. Now the Ken Miles story: My father who was my hero, got into sports cars in the early 60's. ("new" 1962 Volvo P-1800, first one on the west coast) in the 60's my dad finally at 40+years was able to afford something fun, brought the Volvo and him & I went to the races. He ended up bring a SCCA Pit Marshal, and me being just a kid, was always there to polish wheels or cars for the racer's while dad worked. When the Shelby crew was here(1963) I spent 99% of my time hanging around their pits. Loud guy's with LOUD CARS, polished Mag's, cars, etc. So the end of the weekend, while they were giving rides to worker's they threw me in Ken's car. After the two laps Ken looked over and I think he was disappointed that he hadn't scared the **** out of me, no I had the biggest grin on my face. I remember him steering with the throttle, the best ride in a race car ever!!! I knew who all these guy were, I read every mag(Road&Track, Car&Driver, Sports Car Graphics, Autoweek,etc). Later on i'll tell you guy's the weekend I spent(1968, I was 13) with Mark Donohue(trans-am race Kent) at the track. Again thank you for all the kind, Tom.

It's going to be difficult waiting to hear more stories about the racers, pit crews, pit marshals, etc. I suspect there are others also waiting to hear more!

rodneym 09-09-2016 09:55 AM

Welcome Alfa02 and congrats!
There's a bit of Alfa blood in my veins as well. My uncle was trained at Autodelta, has the only Alfa 'shop' left in LA, and we've had our share including a 1975 Montreal (what a sound). My dad loved loved spanking the the '78 Pace Car Vette from across the street.
Good times.

Gun Doc 09-09-2016 10:08 AM

Alfa,
I'd love to come up to the garage...Can't do it next week, as I'll be in Texas, but I'll make sure I do get up there. Funny you mention the Old School Garage, I almost brought my car there for some engine work, but really could not find out too much about the shop, so I took it to Craig Blood at Blood Enterprises in Auburn. You may know Craig, as he is very involved with vintage big-bore racing at PNWR and is at Sovern every year. PM me and we can exchange contact info.

era cobra 09-09-2016 06:58 PM

Welcome to the Forum. It is a great place for info.

Gryphon 09-10-2016 04:35 PM

Excellent, congrats! That's a great find.

moore_rb 12-01-2017 06:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
A couple pics of Alfa02's car wearing it's new skin...

It looks great Tom! Beautiful shade of green, I can't wait to see some shots of it out in the sun.

Alfa02 12-01-2017 09:22 PM

Thanks Rob, for posting these pic's. Troy (shop owner) said one more week for emblem's, mirrors, etc. And then off to Old School Garage, for final assy. It's really happening, still feel's like a dream seeing it in BRG. I can hardly wait to mount the Sunbrust's. I'll keep up with the pic's though to the finishline ;)