Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2018, 03:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #829, Ford 427
Not Ranked     
Default Newbie looking for some help

Hi Guys,

I am located in the Bucks / Lehigh County line and was looking for anyone in the area that has a ERA 427 Cobra. I sat in one years ago and recall it being a little tight. Now that I am close to finally pulling the trigger in the next year or so, I was looking to sit in one etc... also, anyone willing to talk about their recent experience with ERA, let me know. I figured I would call them direct once I know a little more so I can have an educated call without wasting their time.

Thanks,
Rob
Old 01-22-2018, 03:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Hi Rob,

Welcome to the forum. I do have some experience with ERA, but I'm in Australia, so there will no doubt be many others closer geographically to you who will have much more relevant information.

A thread on this forum that will give you quite a lot of information about ERA's cars is....
Superformance VS. ERA

Best of luck with your quest. If you still have a year or so before purchase, best advice is to seek out as much information as you can; talk to as many owners and builders as you can find; sit in as many cars as you can find too.
Also, look into the differences between the 427SC, the 427 roadster (no stripes, no side pipes....[only] slightly more discreet), and the 289 variants - the 'slabside' and the 289FIA. Think a lot about colours too, as that is something that you need to get right if you are build one or have one built.
Oh, and ask questions. Don't forget that the only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask. There is a huge knowledge bank available here on this forum.

Good to have you on board!

Cheers,
Glen

Last edited by xb-60; 01-22-2018 at 04:28 PM..
Old 01-22-2018, 04:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Welcome to the forum. I used to own an ERA427 cobra and have no complaints. It was a well built car and always garnered a lot of attention wherever I was. You will find the people at ERA easy to work with. As Glen says above, take your time and try some cars out to see how they fit. There are a few people on the site with ERA's and other cobras that are in PA.

There are several different styles of cobras, and you might want to explore them to see which one fits your preferences.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Jim
Old 01-22-2018, 04:32 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCKW353 View Post
Hi Guys,

I am located in the Bucks / Lehigh County line and was looking for anyone in the area that has a ERA 427 Cobra. I sat in one years ago and recall it being a little tight.
Rob, just how big are you? Below is a pic of an awfully good-looking fellow who happens to be 6' 4" 195 lbs, with size 12EEE feet, and he fits perfectly.

Having dealt with ERA for well over a decade, I can tell you the only two downsides to them are: 1) It takes about a year to get them to build you exactly what you want; and 2) They ain't cheap. That said, you will absolutely love their work and their customer support. An ERA car is absolutely second to none.

Old 01-22-2018, 04:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the quick responses. I am only 6 foot. The positive is I have a narrow foot ... haha. Sat in the GT40 in their shop when I visited in the 90s and that was cool.

I will check out the posts and have spent time doing ground up restoration on WW 2 US vehicles and a Harley so I have the tools and the brains to know when to know my limitations

I know I want to do a 427SC with a big block.. I have soooo much information I have accumulated over the past 30 yrs, I just need to dig it out and read more on the forum.

Rob

Last edited by CCKW353; 01-22-2018 at 04:57 PM..
Old 01-22-2018, 04:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I am located in the Bucks / Lehigh County line and was looking for anyone in the area that has a ERA 427 Cobra. I sat in one years ago and recall it being a little tight.
Thanks,
Rob
I prefer to think of the interior as "intimate" and not tight. If height is your issue there are ways to deal with that to some extent (reduce seat padding, delete seat tracks, tilt seat back). If girth or shoulder width is the issue there are some lesser ways of dealing with it (removable steering wheel, smaller wheel, delete seat tracks). But no Cobra or replica thereof will ever be thought of as roomy.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have been reading some builds about that on this site. I just figured best to touch the real thing before doing the plunge.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #812 427/482 FE
Not Ranked     

My ERA 427C was delivered to me in December 2016. My experience with ERA was very good. I am also 6 feet tall, 210 lbs, with wide feet. My car has seat tracks, standard seats, and standard pedal positions. It does not feel cramped to me, and I look through the middle of the windshield. I have the seat a couple of clicks forward from the rear ward position so I can push the clutch in. Very comfortable.

You will need to decide on an engine builder also. My side oiler was built by Brent Lykins. He was great to work with. The toughest choice for me was paint colors.

Good luck.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Chris,

We are about the same size except for narrow feet. You answered my next question where you look out the windshield. In the old military vehicles I have done, sometimes I am the top or just over the top of the windshield. How long was your wait and did you get a turkey or roller chassis from them? I going to go with roller chassis with a few upgrades since my time for true wrenching is limited .

Thanks,
Rob
Old 01-23-2018, 02:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I've had several ERAs and LOVE THEM. Great cars indeed. I have an ERA facebook page if you want to check it out (: If you want a new one, I suggest getting your deposit in quickly. It is taking 18 months or so now, and I'm not sure how many new orders they can support in the longer term.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks... I figured I should do my homework asap.....I had a heck of time picking up a friend's car at ERA many moons ago... I need to find those photos. We showed up in a sweet vintage Bronco.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:21 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66gtk View Post
It is taking 18 months or so now, and I'm not sure how many new orders they can support in the longer term.
I've often wondered whether the ERA order queue tracked with the economy. I kind of think it does. But, man, having to wait a year and a half for your car is a tough nut to chew.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:15 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I am located in the Bucks / Lehigh County line and was looking for anyone in the area that has a ERA 427 Cobra. I sat in one years ago and recall it being a little tight. Now that I am close to finally pulling the trigger in the next year or so, I was looking to sit in one etc... also, anyone willing to talk about their recent experience with ERA, let me know. I figured I would call them direct once I know a little more so I can have an educated call without wasting their time.

Thanks,
Rob
Reach out to the Lehigh Valley SAAC group

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 01-23-2018, 05:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #812 427/482 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Hi Chris,

How long was your wait and did you get a turkey or roller chassis from them? I going to go with roller chassis with a few upgrades since my time for true wrenching is limited .

Thanks,
Rob
Hi Rob,

I placed my order/ deposit in May 2015 and the car was delivered in Dec 2016. The painter I used took 6 months, so Peter's original estimate of 12 months was spot on. Add paint time to Peter's number.

My car was a roller. It came with the suspension complete and brakes bled. If you want to know what you need to do on a roller, PM me with your email address and I'll drowned you with as much detail as you want.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the info. Pulling out all my research materials over the years to figure things out.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I broke down and spoke with Peter today. I actually met him in 1994 when my friend got his 427 Cobra. Now time to ask the wife and barter away... hahaha.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:51 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I broke down and spoke with Peter today. I actually met him in 1994 when my friend got his 427 Cobra. Now time to ask the wife and barter away... hahaha.
Well, that's a small bit of progress. Did Peter tell you how long the wait time is right now? You know, the sooner you write that five grand check the sooner your name is in the queue.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That is what he said . 12 months like noted by other guys on the form.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am 6.4 and realized that without seat I can fit in any Cobra. Which made me use kart seats (or a thinly padded R-Model seat). Most seat upholstery robs a lot of space. As does the seat runner.

However, I am also skinny. If your thighs have body builder dimensions, you may touch the dashboard (or if your tummy has... - there is a 14" steering wheel can be the answer)

Some kits (not ERA) have quite space robbing door hinges. Your knees may rub those.

Look for space next to the clutch pedal (if you are not racing). Stretching that leg helps on long trips. Stretching your right leg results in WOT - which will also shorten the trip ;-)
Buzz likes this.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi guys,

Well, I got the green light from the boss to jump into the game this morning! I decided it will be an ERA and I am going to get in line this week. I have the space and ability/connections so the plan is to get a roller setup and then drop in my drivetrain once I am ready. I plan on going with an 427 Side Oiler, Tremec 5 speed, pin drive 15 rims/tires.... I am sure a lot wil, change once time goes on.... should be an interesting and busy 2018! So a ton more questions will be coming... thanks again for the assistance.

Rob