Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself) (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/club-cobra-introduction-forum-introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Lemans pit pass ID bracelet (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/club-cobra-introduction-forum-introduce-yourself/143296-lemans-pit-pass-id-bracelet.html)

lilimo 02-26-2020 02:46 PM

Lemans pit pass ID bracelet

Hi. My name is Lili and my dad was Al Dowd. He was general manager and project manager for Shelby American. When Shel closed the company he and my dad formed a new company Shelby Dowd Performance. I have my dad's ID bracelet from Lemans which was his pit pass. I believe the year he gave it to me was 1965, though it might have been 1966. I would like to list it for sale and wondered if anyone could direct me to a website besides ebay where I can list it? Thanks so much.

twobjshelbys 02-26-2020 03:03 PM

Hi Lili. Thanks for stopping by.

Aside from the hint that you've dropped here - and there are a few collectors among us - eBay is your best bet. Give it a few days and check here often as there may be some interest in the topic and by PMs.

Also, if you can post a picture it would help (eBay will require it anyway).

lilimo 02-26-2020 03:09 PM

thanks so much. Lili

Alfa02 02-26-2020 09:51 PM

@ Lili, maybe you could give a few of us, a chance to buy it, for our Cobra collection's, before it get's to Ebay. I know of one of our owners that has a 289FIA car, that he races in Europe that would love that piece in his collection (Alf you out there?? ) Thank you & Cheers Tom.

ALF 02-26-2020 10:37 PM

Tom is right:
I would love to have this bracelet in my collection. ;-)
It would have a great place next to the 1970 Le Mans Pit Pass of a Shelby Team Member from the 67 Le Mans victory.

Or wear it together with my team shelby jacket when driving my 289 up the mountain pass road’s.

lilimo 02-27-2020 11:40 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is the pit pass bracelet. When my dad got home from Lemans that year he gave it to me. I put it in my jewerly box and only thought about it last week when I watched him in Lemans on the Netflix special on Shelby American.
I'm not sure how to attach these so I hope these show up when I hit post.
[ATTACH]Attachment 34158[/ATTACH]

lilimo 02-27-2020 11:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of my dad with Phil Remington on the left walking into the picture.Attachment 34159

lilimo 02-27-2020 12:19 PM

I think everyone can see what I post. In the next couple of weeks I will do some research to see what to ask for the pit pass bracelet and then will post it on where ever I post things for sale that Alfa02 kindly suggested. The pictures make it look in bad shape but it is actually in very good shape and I'll see if any of my friends has a camera I could photograph it with instead of my cheap phone camera. :-)

Alfa02 02-27-2020 04:32 PM

Thank you again Lili, for giving us a chance to buy such a "One of a kind" keepsake. I for one would wear it daily, and tell your Father story, these are just the things to keep the history of people like your Father, and Mr. Shelby, in general alive long after you & I are gone. If you would like to PM, I will give my Phone# & Email, Cheers Tom.

ACHiPo 02-27-2020 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilimo (Post 1472464)
Here is the pit pass bracelet. When my dad got home from Lemans that year he gave it to me. I put it in my jewerly box and only thought about it last week when I watched him in Lemans on the Netflix special on Shelby American.
I'm not sure how to attach these so I hope these show up when I hit post.
[ATTACH]Attachment 34158[/ATTACH]

That is VERY COOL!

twobjshelbys 02-27-2020 05:17 PM

It's an amazing piece, and probably would command a premium given the recent Ford/Ferrari movie.

I would strongly encourage you to get an appraisal on this piece before doing anything else, including any sale here or on eBay.

Alfa02 02-27-2020 05:27 PM

A quick update Lili, I just spoke with a gentlemen (A famous Shelby Race Driver) that worked everyday with your Father, at Shelby he has a huge Shelby collection, with other Al Dowd piece's. In fact he told, he went to see your dad, in the San Juan Islands before his passing, I will get you in touch with him. I think he would be the right person to own your Dad's bracelet. Thank you again, Tom.

ACHiPo 02-27-2020 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfa02 (Post 1472490)
A quick update Lili, I just spoke with a gentlemen (A famous Shelby Race Driver) that worked everyday with your Father, at Shelby he has a huge Shelby collection, with other Al Dowd piece's. In fact he told, he went to see your dad, in the San Juan Islands before his passing, I will get you in touch with him. I think he would be the right person to own your Dad's bracelet. Thank you again, Tom.

Tom,
You're a mensch!
Evan

lilimo 02-28-2020 07:01 AM

Thank you everyone. Can anyone recommend who I contact for an appraisal? Tom. (Alfa02) I remember one of the driver's went to see my dad in Friday Harbor but can't remember who. Yes, please put him in touch as I'm sure it is someone I had met back in the day as the driver's used to come over for dinner parties.

Karl Bebout 02-28-2020 07:24 AM

Evan,
"Tom, You're a mensch!"

Not exactly what I call TommyRot, but he does seem to know everybody.

Alfa02 02-28-2020 09:54 AM

Evan's Post

Evan, you had me a "Little Worried" when you said I'm a 'Mensch" never hear that before :LOL:, but thought it can't be too bad, if Ol'karlos said what he said in his statement :3DSMILE: These people that I know are friends I knew from the old days, long before I every owned a Cobra. Like Allen Grant (The cats out of the bag here :MECOOL:) He's always been my friend first, then some kind of Cobra Icon second.:p I have truly been blessed, to know some of these great people over the years. Cheers All my Club Cobra friends Tom, or TommyRot. ;)

Alfa02 02-28-2020 10:10 AM

Hi Lili, I sent you a PM (with my # & Email), to reach out to me, I have no problem getting you in touch with Allen Grant, but can't post his # or Email here. Allen said he would be honored to add the bracelet to his Al Dowd collection. The price is the issue, how do we come up with a price of a "One of a kind" heirloom? I think you & Allen, could work that out, with maybe a appraiser (Middleman?) , Allen may know of one. Also Allen has a European magazine from 10-15 years ago, that has your Dad's Story (History) in it, I'm sure he would run you off a (copy), out of that issue. He spoke very fondly of your Father, he said a great person, but also great friend. Hope you two can make this work, for both of you, Cheers Tom (Alfa02)

lilimo 03-01-2020 10:31 AM

email

Hi Tom,

I sent you a message through my regular email.

Thanks so much,

Lili

Alfa02 03-02-2020 05:40 AM

Thank you again Lili, so much fun Emailing you. You're now part of the "Known Cobra World" :) I'm sure we'll get a chance to meet up this year, since we're going though your town in July, or if you & Phil come up sooner. I wonder if Peter remembers that Kiss ???? I know Allen spoke with him at the movie premier (Ford vs Ferrari Wars) in Nov. maybe get his # and you can asked him yourself :) That would be Fun !! Talk soon, Cheers Tom.

lilimo 03-02-2020 07:38 AM

Yes, I will do that. Cripes, I hope he remembers it. Probably wasn't his first kiss as he was a couple of years older. :-)