Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself) (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/club-cobra-introduction-forum-introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Barn Find...Need Assistance From The Forum (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/club-cobra-introduction-forum-introduce-yourself/143688-barn-find-need-assistance-forum.html)

HawkC01 06-02-2020 08:51 AM

Barn Find...Need Assistance From The Forum

4 Attachment(s)
Good Day, All!

Client approached me wanting to trade work for her deceased husbands Cobra kit car. The car is located in Florida and had been sitting outside for sometime. I don't know the history or if it runs. Need to ask more questions. My goal, with the direction of the forum and if even plausible, would be to acquire the car and do a complete restoration with my uncle who is in the business of restoring cars from the teens - 60s. I am not in any way a car guy and have no experience restoring, so this would be more about spending time with my uncle, learning about his incredible craft and driving away with something we did together. That has been a life long dream to do with him.

Here are my initial questions I'm hoping for some direction from the group:

1. where the heck is the hood release? I know there is a motor inside this blue baby, but I can't see the dang thing!
2. how do I identify the kit manufacture and is that even important?
3. what things do I need to know to assist in determining the value for the barter offer?
4. where do I draw the line with surface rust. This car clearly has been sitting and has surface rust EVERYWHERE. As mentioned, I have the means to do a full resto if necessary.

I'm hoping this will be a fun adventure for all involved, including this forum and I greatly appreciate the feedback I get here.

Thank you!

Chad Hawkins
Panama City Beach, FL

MOTORHEAD 06-02-2020 09:10 AM

Got to be a hood release under the dash.
Need to see the engine and chassis to help do an evaluation, but it's an early kit with not much going for it. Is it near you ?

Ted

twobjshelbys 06-02-2020 09:58 AM

They pay you to take it away. Itll never be worth much and the work to return it exceeds value

eschaider 06-02-2020 10:29 AM

The particular car you are looking at lacks visual authenticity in the dash layout, interior detail some exterior detail. Although unseen, chances are the brakes and other suspension components would be a net negative in assessing the vehicle's fair market value. The engine will be all but impossible to value without disassembly to see what's inside.

This is probably a good thing to pass on.

Ed

t walgamuth 06-02-2020 10:31 AM

It looks like a fun project to engage with your uncle. I am jealous for the experience! I had an uncle who was as big a car nerd as I but did not live near enough for such a project.

twobjshelbys 06-02-2020 10:40 AM

How do you spell Money Pit? Everywhere you turn there will be something else. Move on to something else.

Cobras Don't Rust!!!

t walgamuth 06-02-2020 11:47 AM

To each his own. If you buy a fix up project you can pay as you go. Although some of us don't need to consider such things, others of us must.

MKS427 06-02-2020 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eschaider (Post 1477729)
The particular car you are looking at lacks visual authenticity in the dash layout, interior detail some exterior detail. Although unseen, chances are the brakes and other suspension components would be a net negative in assessing the vehicle's fair market value. The engine will be all but impossible to value without disassembly to see what's inside.

This is probably a good thing to pass on.

Ed

Ditto!

MOTORHEAD 06-02-2020 02:00 PM

What is the value of the work she needs done ??
Are there any documents with the car ?? Title, registration, MSO, etc ???

jhv48 06-02-2020 02:01 PM

If you really want the building experience, buy a Factory Five complete kit and then enjoy a couple of years of assembly with your uncle. No surprises and you’ll have a great car when you’re finished.

Alfa02 06-02-2020 07:59 PM

Let's not be too hasty Gentlemen, he did say Barter (No money changing hands) Hell, it's worth a couple grand just to tell your friends you have a Cobra ;) And he did say, any project would be fun, just to hang with his Uncle. Example: My Dad & I brought home a "Old" 850 Mini and hanging out with him was the reason for this car, back to the story, it had been sitting next a machine shop for years (SU needed rebuilding something simple) Well, long story short, come to find out, a RARE find indeed it was one of the first 50 built, not only was it great find, but it was saved. Now not saying this is anything special, if it go's away, we will never find out. Plus Boy's, we NEED more young blood in our club!!!!! Anyway, good luck with whatever you do, Cheers TommyRot.

HawkC01 06-03-2020 08:35 PM

Really appreciate everyone's responses. I will get more info and check back in.

Gus M 07-05-2020 04:10 PM

I'm in suspense. An interesting story without an ending. Any update?

incoming 07-05-2020 05:20 PM

being from florida, it might be a 94" street beasts? same wheelbase as a cj5. go redneck on the cheap?

Sailfish 07-06-2020 07:11 AM

I would encourage you to engage your uncle to look at, and evaluate, the car. His knowledge and skill in auto restoration will ultimately determine if the project is cost effective, or even something he wants to be involved with. Granted, working closely with your uncle is something you can't put a price on, but the reality is, just how much is it worth financially? Don't let the illusion of a "good deal" cloud your judgement.

CHANMADD 07-06-2020 01:36 PM

From the looks of it ..those are Mustang pedals.....this is probably an LA Exotics or something similar... It will make a nice driver, but you will probably not get rich selling it, although you will have hours, days and months of fun. Buy and fix it..It looks pretty complete to me. Don't listen to naysayers.

CHANMADD 07-06-2020 03:46 PM

Does it have a live axle or irs?

Jaydee 07-07-2020 12:26 AM

I guess there are 2 meanings to the word "barn find." Just something you find in a barn, or something worth a million dollars found in a barn. JD:JEKYLHYDE

t walgamuth 07-07-2020 01:54 AM

I don't think there is a dollar value attached to barn find. It just means found in storage under somewhat unusual circumstances...barn, shed, lean to, etc.

cycleguy55 07-07-2020 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t walgamuth (Post 1479338)
I don't think there is a dollar value attached to barn find. It just means found in storage under somewhat unusual circumstances...barn, shed, lean to, etc.

There's often a lot of manure in barns.