Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree13Likes
  • 1 Post By robomoto92
  • 2 Post By desgros@vtlink.
  • 2 Post By olddog
  • 1 Post By robomoto92
  • 1 Post By robomoto92
  • 1 Post By mrmustang
  • 1 Post By FredG
  • 1 Post By t walgamuth
  • 1 Post By robomoto92
  • 2 Post By desgros@vtlink.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2020, 07:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MkIII, 427/SR
Neutral     
Default Noob from New Jersey

Greetings fellow addicts. I've spent the past 25 years playing with 2-wheels, roadracing, etc. and decided it's time to put more 4-wheel thingies in the garage.

Hoping to be a proud Cobra owner in the coming weeks/months, but it's been fun losing a few brain cells on which Cobra, which build, which color... you know, the usual stuff.

Rob C.
Asbury, NJ
1985 CCX likes this.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Slabside BRG 289
Not Ranked     

Bob,

Always keep quality in mind. In the end it pays off, you get what you pay for.

John
ERA #3010 Slabside 289 SB BRG
jwoodard and 1985 CCX like this.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Welcome.

Filter for posts by mrmustang . He has a link at the bottom of his posts that will take you to a list he has been improving for years, on information that a new purchaser should read.

Someone else around here may give you better directions to it.
mabbott74 and robomoto92 like this.

Last edited by olddog; 08-06-2020 at 08:47 AM..
Old 08-06-2020, 08:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by desgros@vtlink. View Post
Bob,

Always keep quality in mind. In the end it pays off, you get what you pay for.

John
Thanks, John. Wouldn't have it any other way!
desgros@vtlink. likes this.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog View Post
Welcome.

Filter for posts by mrmustang . He has a link at the bottom of his posts that will take you to a list he has been improving for years, on information that a new purchaser should read.

Someone else around here may give you better directions to it.
Checked it out already and many of the threads on this forum have been fantastic. Like all forums, I'm sure you have your mix of personalities, but most here seem to give off a very helpful vibe.
mabbott74 likes this.
Old 08-06-2020, 03:45 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by robomoto92 View Post
Checked it out already and many of the threads on this forum have been fantastic. Like all forums, I'm sure you have your mix of personalities, but most here seem to give off a very helpful vibe.
1: Contact the special title division of the NJ DMV, PO Box 017 Trenton, NJ 08666 and request their "kit car" registration package.
2: Get to know the Ashbury Park MVC Specialty Inspection Office located at 1010 Comstock St in Asbury Park, NJ 888-486-3339 This is where you will be going to first title and inspect your new Cobra replica, used to be one in Morristown, but they got flooded out in Hurricane Sandy and never re-opened I was at one time on a first name basis with 50% of the staff there.

Both of the above are your number 1 and 2 concerns, read through the package that the special titles division (located on State St in Trenton), follow their rules and regulations to a "T", forget about old loopholes you may have read about here, or as late as 2-3 years ago, they are all closed, and the NJ DMV and state police are well aware of all the old tricks. Do not attempt to reinvent the wheel, do not bother trying to get a "historic or collector" tag, these will throw up a red flag and you will be visited by the NJ State police as they investigate. I cannot stress this paragraph enough these days.....Kit cars are exempt from the Collector Registration. IE: A kit car can no longer be registered using the "Collectors Registration" in the state of NJ.
I also recommend a pre 1976 block for your drivetrain.

3: The tri state Cobra club typically meets the first or second Sunday of the month at the Chester Diner, RT206N in Chester, NJ. Great group of people........Take the back roads through Long Valley, it's a great ride, even without a Cobra.

Hope the above is helpful.

Bill S.
robomoto92 likes this.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS

Last edited by mrmustang; 08-06-2020 at 03:48 PM..
Old 08-06-2020, 05:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thank you, Bill!

That right there is a wealth of information and exactly what I was looking for. I have my eyes on a new SPF/MKIII build and I will ask about the block.

I'm in Hunterdon County, about 20min from Chester. Roads are great out here (bike or car).

Regards,

Rob ..
Old 08-06-2020, 05:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
I also recommend a pre 1976 block for your drivetrain.
Does it have to be an original old (rebuilt) engine, or can it be a new version of the old engine (and how do you prove it)? When I registered mine in Colorado with a Roush 427IR which is a bored/stroked 351W (Dart block, I believe) I was told that the modern "remakes" were considered to be the older engines and thus mine was measured against the 60's emissions (for example, I didn't have to have a PCV system, which was good, because the 8-stack Fuel Injection system didn't accommodate it) and exempt from further emissions testing...

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 08-06-2020 at 05:27 PM..
Old 08-06-2020, 07:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Car #1209 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     
Default Titling and Reg in NJ.

Rob,

I am a retired NJ Trooper and use to work up in you area in the late 70's. I have a 2014 Backdraft with a Roush 427r. When I purchased the car 2 years ago, used, I titled it in NJ as a 1966 Replica. I did not build it. It's factory built. There was no hassle plus because the previous owner titled it the same way, It's exempt from inspection. I have a letter from DMV stating as such. Mr. Mustang is correct about trying to pull any nonsense with the car. The SP has seen it all. Skip all the collector, historic stuff and do it as a regular car. The biggest issues I have seen with titling regardless of what make it is has been bringing them in from another State, how the car was titled there and the inspection process you have to go through here. Good luck

Fred
robomoto92 likes this.
Old 08-07-2020, 02:41 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
Does it have to be an original old (rebuilt) engine, or can it be a new version of the old engine (and how do you prove it)? When I registered mine in Colorado with a Roush 427IR which is a bored/stroked 351W (Dart block, I believe) I was told that the modern "remakes" were considered to be the older engines and thus mine was measured against the 60's emissions (for example, I didn't have to have a PCV system, which was good, because the 8-stack Fuel Injection system didn't accommodate it) and exempt from further emissions testing...
For a new build, the enhanced inspection station will look for, and expect to find the casting number on the block. No casting number (I've seen people grind it off, as dumb as it sounds, to somehow fool the DMV by stating it was a replacement block ), and the car have installed newer emissions controls. While the car will be emissions exempt once it passes the enhanced inspection, each year (it may be every 2 years now) the car is safety inspected, the same equipment must be present, as it will be looked for on the custom inspection sheet for that particular car.

Following the kit car package guidelines is not rocket science, and those that have usually sail through with flying colors. Those that cut corners are rejected and sent away to make repairs, make an appointment, trailer the car back down, and try again. I've heard of a few who had to do this three or four times due to their corner cutting. NJ takes the safe build of these cars quite seriously.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 08-07-2020, 03:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

When I got my VSE I just took the title to the license branch, got the police number check and got a plate and title....no problem at all.

I didn't have to say anything it was all already there. My car came from CA so I suppose there might have been some assumption if it passed there it will pass anywhere?
robomoto92 likes this.
Old 08-07-2020, 04:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredG View Post
Rob,

I am a retired NJ Trooper and use to work up in you area in the late 70's. I have a 2014 Backdraft with a Roush 427r. When I purchased the car 2 years ago, used, I titled it in NJ as a 1966 Replica. I did not build it. It's factory built. There was no hassle plus because the previous owner titled it the same way, It's exempt from inspection. I have a letter from DMV stating as such. Mr. Mustang is correct about trying to pull any nonsense with the car. The SP has seen it all. Skip all the collector, historic stuff and do it as a regular car. The biggest issues I have seen with titling regardless of what make it is has been bringing them in from another State, how the car was titled there and the inspection process you have to go through here. Good luck

Fred
Thanks, Fred. I have a number of friends who are current or retired NJSP and I've heard a lot of the nonsense people try to pull over on the state, trying to avoid paying taxes and the like. I just want a legit registration with no hassles, but don't mind jumping through a few hoops to make sure it's done right. Your responses here have me feeling less anxious about getting this done and I appreciate the feedback.
FredG likes this.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Slabside BRG 289
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by robomoto92 View Post
Thanks, Fred. I have a number of friends who are current or retired NJSP and I've heard a lot of the nonsense people try to pull over on the state, trying to avoid paying taxes and the like. I just want a legit registration with no hassles, but don't mind jumping through a few hoops to make sure it's done right. Your responses here have me feeling less anxious about getting this done and I appreciate the feedback.
Fred,

Thank you and your family for your service. You are owed a debt of gratitude.

John
FredG and robomoto92 like this.

Last edited by desgros@vtlink.; 08-07-2020 at 08:07 AM.. Reason: spelling