Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2021, 05:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison???
Not Ranked     
Default New in Alabama

After Loving the AC Cobra since the 60's and running out of time at 75 years of age, I bought a replica. Still trying to figure out what I bought but sure do love it. It was close to me and was built 20 years ago with two previous owners. The 2nd owner knew little about the car, saw it, bought it and drove it 1k miles in 10 years. It looked brand new when I saw it, and also bought it. I have been unable to find the original builder. I have, with help, restored airplanes, cars, motorcycles, homes so am used to doing some restoration work. And now since I no longer Fly or drive motorcycles needed something to get the adrenaline going every now and then.
I am a former US NAVY EOD with two tours in Vietnam in 68 and back in 69. Now a semi retired orthopedic surgeon and the last 8 years have worked at the Veterans Hospital serving my brothers and sisters who served also.
What I do know about the car is it has a ROUND tubular frame. 90 inch wheelbase, Mustang 2 front end with some modifications as the upper A arms have been changed. has live axle 4 link 9 inch ford rear end. front disc, rear drums. Has a tricked up Cleveland 351 supposedly putting out between 450-550 HP. Brakes were poor when I bought it and found that the rear brakes were not working at all, no fluid to them manual proportion valve turned all the way to the front, a good thing as the shoes in the rear were backwards and the wheel cylinder rusted to a fixed position. The ride was much like I imagine the pioneers experienced in their covered wagons going west. The rear spring had probably been heat treated to lower the rear of the car and it was sitting on the frame. had 32 pounds of pressure in the tires and the PO had removed all but one inch of foam in the seat so as to lower his sitting position. Bone jarring in the mild bumps. Hopefully I can learn how to load pictures so I can get some help on what I have, but sure love what I have. With help from some dear friends, we have put new 175 spring weight springs in the rear 13 inch, that brought the rear up 2-3 inches and gives an acceptable ride comfort. will put some coil overs on the rear and maybe replace the carrera hyper-charged shocks in the front. Have rebuilt the drum brakes and removed the manual proportional valve and replaced the master cylinder, that was leaking. Brakes okay now except at idle where the vacuum drops to 6 and you have to borrow bystanders to help you hold the horses at bay at a stop sign. Will put a vacuum boost on this week. The build quality on the car is excellent, and the gel coat is as new. found two small chips around 2mm each on the entire car. it has 5300 miles on it now and I have put the last 300 on it. Engine runs great. while driving it this week decided it was a blessing not to own this car till I was so old, as surely I would be dead by now. I am sure I will have some more questions but keep in mind. "all of us are ignorant, just about different things" my best to you all. david
Spyderdan56 and Bruce.huling like this.

Last edited by navyeod; 08-08-2021 at 06:20 PM.. Reason: misspelling
Old 08-08-2021, 06:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

hopefully these pics will show up. david
Old 08-08-2021, 07:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

David,
I no longer have my Cobra but I'm still into hotrods and cool cars. There are two open gatherings in Auburn/Opelika each month: 2nd Saturday 5-7 PM at the Home Depot and 3rd Saturday 8-10 AM at the NW corner of Auburn Mall. I'd love to see your car.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 08-08-2021, 08:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

Hello and welcome from North Alabama

Everett Morrison out of Florida made Cobras with round tube frames.

There are a lot of them in Alabama. We have two in Florence. And I own one several years ago.

What tranny?

Pictures would help
Old 08-09-2021, 04:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The car has a C4 tranny. has a locker rear end 307 2nd owner replaced a 389. I think the original owner built it to drag, it was certainly set up that way. Being older I am challenged by this computer stuff. tried to understand the tutorial on posting pics but it was over my head. if some one could PM me their email I can send some pics. I have studied tons of pics of replicas but cannot figure out what I have. ERA and Contemporary had round tube frames but my door hinges to not match theirs. It did not seem to match the EM's. The frame and body are well constructed. Dwight I'm a covered up this month but will try to bring my car up the the HD in September. My two friends who have helped me on this car both have brought their restored camero's up there. Thanks for the heads up. david
Old 08-09-2021, 05:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default pics

Name:  B495C6A4-A211-4D1F-B15C-F2A99AFA1FC9.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  99.6 KB
Spyderdan56 and Bruce.huling like this.

Last edited by navyeod; 08-09-2021 at 05:05 AM..
Old 08-09-2021, 07:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Pics

[attach][attach][attach]Name:  BB262528-0CCE-4A26-B2B1-B2D644B72258.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  94.1 KB[/attach][/attach][/attach]
Attached Images

Old 08-09-2021, 08:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Pics

Name:  B4003232-C91B-469E-854C-36411B5D4BD2.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  94.2 KB[attach]Name:  B4003232-C91B-469E-854C-36411B5D4BD2.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  94.2 KB[/attach]
Attached Images

Bruce.huling likes this.

Last edited by navyeod; 08-09-2021 at 08:17 AM..
Old 08-09-2021, 12:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

The rear section of the frame definitely looks like an Everett Morrison. That low ride height in the rear sure gave it the look of the correct, original Cobra stance - maybe just a tad too low. If there were no issues with tire rubbing or loss of suspension travel, I would've tried to keep it closer to that look. I'm pretty sure it's an E-M, so you've got a generally well-respected brand and the company is still in business to boot. Good luck with getting it all sorted and keep us posted.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...

Last edited by Buzz; 08-09-2021 at 01:04 PM..
Old 08-09-2021, 05:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Buzz thanks so much. I was able to look at some EM frames and the Gen 3 is identical to mine. I agree the lowered rear looks great but with the suspension bottomed out it was horrible to ride in, even after lowering the tire pressure to 24/22. really great to know what I have, i did know that it was a quality kit and the fellow who put it together was a real craftsman. I have his build logs documenting his labor hours and what he did and at 35 bucks an hour he billed 8k in labor 20 years ago. He was working out of his home shop , so this was an after hours build over 6 months. Interior is bare bones but the rest is great. I know it is a beast on the road. The engine was built by Easterling Performance machine in Clanton Alabama and was well known and respected in the area for building race engines. david
Bruce.huling likes this.
Old 08-11-2021, 06:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     

Great looking car. A rear disk conversion is an easy buy and bolt on conversion. Try 22psi front and 18psi rear for size.

My car had the T/A radials when I first bought her and I replaced them when I almost changed direction at fourtyish.
Old 08-11-2021, 07:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the advice. Was going to see how the vacuum boost does for the existing brakes now that we have rebuilt the rear drum brakes. I would never fool with repairing them again will just switch to disc on the rear. Any suggestions on kits? david
Old 08-12-2021, 03:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Located the original owner today on my car. It is an ERA bought as a rolling chassis from them with complete front end. builder put shortened 9 inch ford rear end with 389 diff and said he had had the car up to 160 mph. His engine builder was a friend of the lead mechinic for Red Farmer and shared a lot of tips that the farmer team had learned running the 351 Cleveland. This has been a journey. david
Old 08-12-2021, 05:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Hi David - I'd be genuinely surprised if your Cobra started life as an ERA rolling chassis. ERA is without doubt near the top of the food chain when it comes to 'glass bodied replicas, but they (to my knowledge) always used a rectangular tube frame and that's not what I see in your pics. I have to say that the body looks a bit less like an EM body, but I chalked that up to the lowered ride height in the rear.
Regardless - as long as it's well put together and you seem committed to upgrading the important things like brakes, etc. - it's a nice looking Cobra so enjoy the heck out of it. After two tours in combat and now being able to reward yourself with indulgence in a few hobbies, I wish you all the best. Keep us posted on any new discoveries and adventures as they develop.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 08-12-2021, 05:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     

IMO, being an ERA steps things up a great deal. Please don't get me wrong, EM is a great car.

She's subliminally whispering "Jag IRS please".

From what I've observed, every ERA car has their own distinct number?

Ever been to McArther Blvd?
Old 08-12-2021, 05:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Buzz, I agree looking at the ERA site are not making a round tube frame. The fellow seemed pretty definite it was an ERA after I told him it looked to be an E-M. I will call Peter tomorrow and see if they ever did. That frame on the E-M sure looks like mine. This journey is apparently not over ;^). I agree with the "jag IRS please" incoming. Will update as I find new info. david
Old 08-12-2021, 06:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 482ci sideoiler
Not Ranked     

David, From the pictures you posted, you look to have a nice replica Cobra. I have an older ERA replica Cobra and I don't see anything to lead me to believe you have an ERA car. Sorry, I don't have any idea what company produced your car. Best Regards, John
Old 08-12-2021, 07:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ERA174, I think you are right. will try to talk to the original owner again to try to figure out why he thinks it is an ERA. Regardless of manufacturer, sure am enjoying the car. david
Old 08-12-2021, 07:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

I suppose its possible someone pieced it together with a frame from one source and a body from another. . . . But as others have said, as long as its well made and you like it, that's all that really matters with a replica.
Dwight likes this.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 08-12-2021, 09:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tommy are you going to be at the Home Depot gathering this Saturday. If so I will plan to bring my Car, would like to get your opinion. My main reason for trying to find out what i have is to talk with the Manufacturer on suspension options. The fellow who had the kit built indicated the frame and body were from the same manufacturer (ERA). I do not see where any intentional deceit was involved at all, as the PO did not know the manufacturer, just knew he wanted the car, and said " he did not ask many questions". The original owner would have no incentive to mislead me. He seems to be getting old and said its a bit hard to recall all the details, but kit origin would seem to be most remembered. He was a really nice fellow to talk to, and was excited to hear about the car again and wanting pictures.
I have gone from believing I had a Classic Roadster to Unique, to Everett-Morrison, to ERA, and now back to Everett-Morrison. Such a Newbie. david