Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself) (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/club-cobra-introduction-forum-introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Another new cobra owner (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/club-cobra-introduction-forum-introduce-yourself/145793-another-new-cobra-owner.html)

BobP607 03-31-2022 04:34 PM

Another new cobra owner

Doesn't seem real but I purchased a Superformance MKIII S/C Cobra today.

I am now the proud owner of Superformance chassis SPO 3566. Its classic Guardsman blue with Wimbledon white stripes, side pipes, leather seats and 15 inch knock offs.

Car was abandon by a previous buyer and I was able to purchase it without having to wait the extended lead time others have experienced. I didn't get to spec it exactly my way but it is the classic cobra look.

Now I just have to wait for the engine to be built and installed. Then begins the long NYS registration process.

Hopefully, I can drive it early this summer!

Bob

mattbrowne 03-31-2022 04:55 PM

You are going to have a blast. Lot's of good info to be found here.

Sargie 03-31-2022 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobP607 (Post 1504926)
Doesn't seem real but I purchased a Superformance MKIII S/C Cobra today.

I am now the proud owner of Superformance chassis SPO 3566. Its classic Guardsman blue with Wimbledon white stripes, side pipes, leather seats and 15 inch knock offs.

Car was abandon by a previous buyer and I was able to purchase it without having to wait the extended lead time others have experienced. I didn't get to spec it exactly my way but it is the classic cobra look.

Now I just have to wait for the engine to be built and installed. Then begins the long NYS registration process.

Hopefully, I can drive it early this summer!

Bob

Congratulations! Enjoy the rest of the assembly and purchase experience. You’ll be on the road before you know it!

BobP607 03-31-2022 05:32 PM

Thanks guys

As I learn my way around here, I will post some updates and pictures and no doubt pester the group with stupid questions.

mattbrowne 03-31-2022 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobP607 (Post 1504934)
As I learn my way around here, I will post some updates and pictures and no doubt pester the group with stupid questions.

Looking forward seeing the progress. We are all very helpful in spending your money.:LOL::LOL:

twobjshelbys 03-31-2022 05:35 PM

Good catch!!! Enjoy it. You've read all the warnings about the short wheel base and the fact that you can be going backwards down the road in the snap of your fingers.

SBSerpent 03-31-2022 09:30 PM

Engine details?

Blas 04-01-2022 04:51 AM

Congratulations and welcome to the madness!
Are you going to do the drivetrain install or have it done?
Lots of knowledge here on CC. Always happy to help.
Blas

Alfa02 04-01-2022 04:56 AM

Great choice Bob, these Cobras are "Time Machines" every time you drive it, it can take 20years off your life, as most of us are in our 50's-80's ;) But as others have said, every Cobra I've ever driven whispers to you as do your pre-check, "Respect me, or I'll Kill you" Dance slowly at first till you get to know your Cobra, they are like nothing you've every driven before. Cheers Tom.

Blackbart 04-01-2022 05:39 AM

Congrats and welcome to the CC forums. I'm up in Northville, NY and registered my ERA in New York two years ago. Fairly simple process if you follow the guidelines DMV provides. it may seem daunting and complicated at first glance but everything they ask for is easily doable. If you get stuck trying to meet any of the requirements, give me a shout.

BobP607 04-01-2022 07:44 AM

Engine details:

It will be a 351W bored a little to 357. I don't have all the details from the engine builder but should end up around 430HP give or take.

What I know: 1971 351W block, cast iron crank, aluminum heads, Holley EFI.

I am looking for a cruiser so the engine build will be relatively mild. 400HP will be more than enough to spin me around and put me in a ditch.

I will be the slowest Cobra driver in the East for the foreseeable future.

34fords 04-01-2022 12:17 PM

Bobp. I have been waiting for over a year for my MK III from Hillbank in CA. It finally made it to the US and V's Performance is installing the Roush 427 SR. It should be done sometime next month. Mine is SP03539.

PDUB 04-01-2022 11:36 PM

Congrats

You are gonna be smiling for miles! Keep us posted.

Used to live in the Tri-city area... miss the Speedies! Good stuff! Now the Cobras are the Speedies!

BobP607 04-05-2022 06:37 PM

I have heard of the wait times on new units from Superformance, kits from ERA, FFR, and others. When this came available, I decided it was time to strike.

I am 62. 63 and up isn't guaranteed!

BobP607 10-28-2022 10:28 AM

Finally, progress to report

It took a while (doesn't everything these days?) but I finally have an engine installed in the car. Its undergoing final detailing now. Should be able to start the dreaded NYS registration process soon.

I will see if I can post a picture

Blackbart 10-29-2022 06:27 AM

Bob, first step is to get all the paperwork from the DMV. https://dmv.ny.gov/forms/vs100.pdf
After that you make an appointment at the Dept of Field Investigation for the initial inspection. Mine was locatied in Albany. Be prepared to trailer the car there and back home. Hopefully you have an office near you, maybe Binghamton? After that you get permission from the DMV to get a normal annual NY Safety inspection locally. You have to trailer the car there also. (to be legal). After that inspection they give you permission to register the car and obtain a title. I'd be more than happy to help out in any way if needed.
Good luck!
Gary Speckman
PS I have a pair of foam socks I made to pass the "padded visor" requirement part of the inspection. Be glad to send them to you if you have visors that need padding. Also, all the lights have to be DOT approved, let me know if you need help with that.

[quote=BobP607;1511592]It took a while (doesn't everything these days?) but I finally have an engine installed in the car. Its undergoing final detailing now. Should be able to start the dreaded NYS registration process soon.

I will see if I can post a picture

Kthulu 10-29-2022 06:45 AM

Congratulations on your new Superformance!!

I hope you have better luck sourcing an engine then I have. My SPF was delivered back in August and I'm still waiting on my engine from Roush. It kills me to go by the dealer and see it just sitting there with an empty engine bay.

Hope your engine and registration situation get taken care of quick and you can sneak a few rides in before Winter sets in!

Blas 10-29-2022 08:02 PM

So did you get it up and running and a spin around the block?
Blas

BobP607 11-03-2022 01:58 PM

I have the registration paper work from Albany. Need to get a 4way flasher kit. Back up light is already installed.

The car should be here soon. Not sure exactly since the detail shop is apparently short handed.

The car is up and running and by all accounts is an excellent driver.

Bob

BobP607 11-03-2022 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackbart (Post 1511624)
I'd be more than happy to help out in any way if needed.
Good luck!
Gary Speckman
PS I have a pair of foam socks I made to pass the "padded visor" requirement part of the inspection. Be glad to send them to you if you have visors that need padding. Also, all the lights have to be DOT approved, let me know if you need help with that.

Thanks Gary! I may have to take you up on that offer!

Bob