Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Cobra Build Logs (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/cobra-build-logs/)
-   -   Identification of a cobra kit (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/cobra-build-logs/107710-identification-cobra-kit.html)

thefordguy 11-16-2010 09:15 PM

Identification of a cobra kit

I just got a cobra kit car that has has been sitting for a long time. It is mostly unassembled and uncompleted. It came with an Everett morrison build instructions from the 80's but I'm not sure if these are the right instructions for the car because in the pictures on the manual it has a round tube frame and mine is square tube frame. The serial number on the frame is 10 12D2, it has a mustang II front suspension and a 4 link rear with a ford 9 inch axle. From what I've researched I think this might be a gen 1 E-V kit from the mid 80's. any help would be greatly appreciated.

FWB 11-16-2010 10:06 PM

pictures would be helpful

Ralphy 11-16-2010 10:23 PM

Oh good, another one and so soon! TFG, yes post some pics.
This is enjoyable.

BBQCYCLEWERKES 11-17-2010 05:29 AM

Sounds like the kit sold by a gentleman in Florida on ebay a few weeks ago. He wasn't sure what kit is was either. looked like a combination of alot of different parts all placed together in 1 sale. I hope you are able to identify the manufacturer of the frame and body. Did you get an MSO or anything like that? You may need to get something in order to register the Cobra once completed. I hope it all works out for you.

thefordguy 11-17-2010 07:18 PM

yes, bbqcyclewerkes that is the cobra that my boss just purchased. This thing is a wreck, I'm going to have to add some frame to the front and rear and sides of the frame, and the body is tweaked all over from sitting, if you center the front, then center the firewall, the rear is 3 inches off. The correct instructions for this car would be alot of help. I'll put some pictures up as soon as I can. thanks

LMH 11-17-2010 09:09 PM

If you plan on building a car, you might want to save yourself a lot of grief and look at something else. Just my worthless $.02 but you're heading down a hard road.
Larry

thefordguy 11-18-2010 07:39 PM

I already know it's going to be hard. But I don't really have a choice in the matter, it's not up to me. I work at a resto shop and my boss bought this car to put together and sell. so i'm just trying to get as much info and help on this car as possible.

LMH 11-18-2010 09:50 PM

Post some pics, especially of the frame and suspension. Those are going to be the best for identification of exactly what you've got to work with.
Larry

thefordguy 11-20-2010 11:10 AM

I got some pics

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/pict...d=4626&thumb=1

thefordguy 11-20-2010 11:12 AM

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/pict...d=4627&thumb=1

the original frame is in red primer. all the rest of the frame is what I've added to it.

thefordguy 11-20-2010 11:13 AM

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/pict...d=4628&thumb=1

view my photo album to see the rest, I uploaded 17 pics

BBQCYCLEWERKES 11-20-2010 12:42 PM

Lots of luck with the build. You are going to have your hands full. I noticed that kit for sale on ebay 3 diff times. kept on being relisted. I don't think it is a EM kit. Looks more like a incomplete frame made by someone. Best of luck. B.Q.

thefordguy 11-20-2010 01:26 PM

It kind of looks home made to me also, but it has a serial number on it. but whether it is or not I realize I'm just going to have to figure this thing out without instructions. I have several questions about the placement of a few things if you guys could help. First question is has anyone put a small block ford with a t5 5 speed transmission, from the crank pulley on the engine to the shifter measures 60 inches, and 60 inches places the shifter too far back between the seats, also if I move the engine that far forward it screws up how the exhaust fill fit. if the engine is in a good spot on the frame, the tailshaft is 4 in from the yoke on the rear end. so basically my questions are can you use a t5 in a cobra and where should I put the motor mounts?

mrmustang 11-20-2010 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefordguy (Post 1090906)
It kind of looks home made to me also, but it has a serial number on it.

What is the serial number? Ifyou do not want to post it out in public, feel free to email it to me.

Bill S.

thefordguy 11-20-2010 01:54 PM

I posted it previously and I have a photo of it on my page the # is 10 12D2

thefordguy 11-20-2010 02:12 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I think I just figured out how to get more than 1 pic on here at a time. I'll try to get them all up here

thefordguy 11-20-2010 02:15 PM

5 Attachment(s)
heres some more

thefordguy 11-20-2010 02:19 PM

4 Attachment(s)
and heres the rest

mrmustang 11-20-2010 03:10 PM

Not sure of the body, but the chassis is strictly home made. What you are calling a serial number appears to be a date and line manufacturing code for some of the main tubing.

Bill S.

thefordguy 11-20-2010 04:13 PM

well I took a picture of it but for some reason that is the only pic that will not load on here right. The number is located on top of the front cross member on the left side running parallel with the back side of the upper control arm, centered between the holes for mounting the upper control arm. ok i got a pic of it here. it looks as though it was put there after the frame was assembled because of how it is placed. The instructions that it came with were from 1984 so I was thinking it was an older frame that was not as advanced as the newer kits.

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/pict...d=4636&thumb=1