• 1 Post By txcobra

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-20-2016, 10:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default 20k cobra build

Gonna try and build me a cobra for under $20k. I am shooting for a nice weekend driver type cobra not a trailer queen. I have a pretty good start right now from a generous member on here. I have a 2000 1967 427 SC shell valley kit. The kit has never been completed just some parts installed here and there. It has the tubular front end with a currie 9 inch solid rear end. It has 17 inch ps engineering wheels, Richmond 5 speed trans. It has the optional large scoop hood and boxes upon boxes of parts to build it. Cost spent so far is $8400. I built the car in my head and i know i forgot a thing or 2 but below is the parts i am needing. If you have any of these parts for sale please let me know, Thanks
Greg

Parts needed are:
rear license plate bracket
trunk carpet kit
interior carpet kit
inner door panels
shifter and p brake boots
steering wheel adapter for moto lita 6 bolt steering wheel
seat belts

Labor needed is:
coat side pipe and headers
body and paint work
powder coat entire frame and suspension components

Extra parts to sell that came with kit are:
small block aluminum radiator installed but never had fluid in it
original alum steering column with turn signal assy and steering shaft assy installed but never used.
429 460 bell-housing 1 oem and 1 scatter-shield

Thanks for any help you can offer and stay tuned for future progress and pics
You can reply here or pm me or text or call 817 2 zer0 2 7258. Greg
Attached Images

Last edited by txcobra; 03-08-2017 at 08:37 PM..
Old 07-20-2016, 10:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default some pics of current condition

here it is as of now.
Attached Images

wouter37 likes this.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:03 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

i need to find a deal like this. Why are you doing a 460? Just curious. I am in the early stages of what to do, kit, already complete, etc.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Going with a 460 because it is what the car had in it originally so i already have a bunch of parts for it such as rad, bell housing, motor mounts and headers just to name a few. Plus i am wanting around 500hp and that will be easy to do with the big cubes and still be a reliable and fun driver.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Picked up a 460

Slowly but surely getting the last of the parts i need to complete the kit. Just picked up a 77 460 to use as a builder for my 500 hp goal. All I will use is the block,crank,rods,timing cover,pan and balancer.
Attached Images

mln385 likes this.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

what was the motor pulled from? I have a 79' F250 & my Steering & A/C units are set up opposite from yours
Old 12-22-2016, 06:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by *13* View Post
what was the motor pulled from? I have a 79' F250 & my Steering & A/C units are set up opposite from yours
The guy i purchased it from said it was out of a truck he purchased, but who knows if that was what it originally came in.

Update i was just looking on craigslist and saw a 78 Lincoln and the motor setup was exactly like mine.

Last edited by txcobra; 12-22-2016 at 06:42 AM..
Old 12-22-2016, 07:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

I may be willing to offer carpet fabric with PSA on the back ?
Get back to me if you have interest...
Old 12-22-2016, 09:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by txcobra View Post
The guy i purchased it from said it was out of a truck he purchased, but who knows if that was what it originally came in.

Update i was just looking on craigslist and saw a 78 Lincoln and the motor setup was exactly like mine.
There is a lot of room under the hood. I'm sure it would fit. I wonder if it was from a truck or, if the config changed over the years? Not that important, just interesting. Mine has headers on it. Runs & sounds really nice.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by txcobra View Post
Slowly but surely getting the last of the parts i need to complete the kit. Just picked up a 77 460 to use as a builder for my 500 hp goal. All I will use is the block,crank,rods,timing cover,pan and balancer.
Odd - but that looks like a GM A6 AC compressor on it. In the 70s it got to where you never knew what you would find under the hood. Olds engines in Firebirds. Chev engines in Buicks, Olds and Cadillacs.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

II still have a couple black inner door panels from my old NAF. I'd gone with brown, when I re-did the interior. You pay shipping and they are yours.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:54 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
Odd - but that looks like a GM A6 AC compressor on it. In the 70s it got to where you never knew what you would find under the hood. Olds engines in Firebirds. Chev engines in Buicks, Olds and Cadillacs.
Ford used those Fridgidaire compressors in T-Birds, Lincolns and most 429/460 applications. We also used Saginaw steering boxes. There was a lot more "interbreeding" between the big three than most people realize. Chrysler New Process was the 4x4 transfer case of choice for most of the big three.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 12-22-2016, 11:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 Narrow Hip Street Roadster
Not Ranked     

When you ordered a 3 speed manual in a GTO you got a Dearborn which was a ford toploader. At the time GM needed a 3sp with synchro first gear. Jeep pulled from the big three. Delco starter with Ford solenoid and the list goes on and on
Old 12-22-2016, 11:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I remember there was also some cross-breeding of carbs but not sure if I can remember them accurately. Did Ford utilize some Quadrajets on some 429s etc? However, Quadrajets were made by a couple of manufacturers though so maybe that doesn't count. And did American Motors used some Ford-made 4 bbl carbs (not sure I remember this one clearly)? I think some models of Jeep and American Motors used Chrysler 727 auto transmissions too.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

American Motors was very prone to use other manufactures' products. Delco distributors, Chrysler Torque Flights, Chrysler or Motorola alternators, PS pumps were really a mish-mash. I'm thinking Ford was pretty much the only manufacturer to make their own carbs. GM used Carter, Holly, AC, and maybe Strombergs, 'way back. MoPar was mostly Carters. Carroll Shelby was notorious for seemingly using whatever he had laying around on the shelf, although it was pretty generally Ford, you just never knew just what you'd get. 427? sure...well 428 is close...Lights? gauges? Tach? I think it all boils down to using what will work and what you can make money with. Very few companies are in business without the purpose of making money.
Old 12-22-2016, 03:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Bebout View Post
II still have a couple black inner door panels from my old NAF. I'd gone with brown, when I re-did the interior. You pay shipping and they are yours.
Pm sent
Thanks
Greg
Old 12-22-2016, 03:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985 CCX View Post
I may be willing to offer carpet fabric with PSA on the back ?
Get back to me if you have interest...
Pm sent
Thanks
Greg
Old 12-22-2016, 04:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
Don't know about the ac comp other than it has a motor-craft sticker on it

I had a 78 trans am with a olds 403 (i think that is the c/i) in it.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
Ford used those Fridgidaire compressors in T-Birds, Lincolns and most 429/460 applications. We also used Saginaw steering boxes. There was a lot more "interbreeding" between the big three than most people realize. Chrysler New Process was the 4x4 transfer case of choice for most of the big three.
My older brother worked for Chrysler at New Process gear in Syracuse and they made just about every 4 wheel drive transfer case for the big three. They all came off the same assembly line. There was nothing better out there and it saved Ford and GM from having to have their own plants.