Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Cobra Build Logs (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/cobra-build-logs/)
-   -   Need help! Stupid build. (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/cobra-build-logs/143535-need-help-stupid-build.html)

connor19 04-27-2020 08:02 PM

Need help! Stupid build.

Hi all ill start straight away by saying this is dumb and a lot of you are gonna think im ridiculous but...
im wanting to start a cobra 427 hardtop build from scratch i.e building chassis and body etc, i have sufficient knowledge of using a mig welder too and i have a general idea off how to build a body using framing, foam and fibreglass.
But thats all i know, the other stupid reason to all this is because im stuck at home under quarantine and on my drive sat haunting my dreams is my old 1L automatic nissan micra, so basically what im trying to do is
1. find exact dimentions to build a chassis
2. find dimentions to make the body
3. transplant as much as i can from the donor car (trying to make this build an automatic)
4. up the engine to a 1.2, 1.4 (insurance is hell ain't it?)
5. fit the electrics in.

I know this is a lot but im on a fairly limited budget and working with what i have, i will appreciate all and any help throughout this terrible idea,Thanks!!

Wigly 04-27-2020 11:47 PM

Hi connor19,

welcome.
i just can help you with the first 2 questions.

1. Dimensions
Shelby Cobra parts - at Cobra Restorers, Ltd. - you will find the blueprint of an 427 chassis here.
The drawings have some mistakes but its a good start.
A lot of people build their chassis based an the drawings.

or

https://www.chuckcobra.com/ - he has also drawings - but i am not familiar with them.

2. I do have a scan of the body and can help you with some details, but i never build one body.
I am sure its easier to buy one...

Paul

connor19 04-28-2020 04:27 AM

the body scans would be great i think im just gonna have to try and cad the chassis myself as its only a mess around build so dont wanna be spending hundreds on plans, i appreciate the reply

olddog 04-28-2020 10:14 PM

Connor,

If I read you correctly, you want to build a Cobra from scratch using a 4 cylinder Nisan as the donor car.

To those who love the Cobra and the replica rage in recreating something of high quality, you are the anti-Christ.

You will likely get a warmer welcome by your Church elders after asking to take nude pictures of their daughters, in their Church.

Clueless Clowns building unsafe cars can easily get our sport legislated into oblivion.

Please build a Chevy Vega or a Ford Pinto. Any piece of $hit car that few people care about. Not the Holy Grail of performance cars.

I usually say each to their own, but as my end time is nearing (hopefully years not days) I have no sense of humor when it comes to someone building something like you propose. However that all said I admire your desire to build a car. Just try not to put a turd in my punch bowl.

xb-60 04-28-2020 11:54 PM

Mate, in all seriousness, I'd stick with the 1.0 litre engine and the cheaper insurance. I'd imagine that the 1.2 would be a handful anyway and the 1.4 doesn"t bear thinking about.

Jaydee 04-29-2020 02:27 AM

Can you imaging the laughs you would get when a Prius blows you away at the lights. I think you would be better getting a body, put some wheels in the guards and put a lawn chair inside and make broom broom noises. Take old dogs advice, please !! I hope I don't sound to mean, but don't expect the Cobra community to take you to seriously. JD

Gaz64 04-29-2020 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by connor19 (Post 1475668)
Hi all ill start straight away by saying this is dumb and a lot of you are gonna think im ridiculous but...
im wanting to start a cobra 427 hardtop build from scratch i.e building chassis and body etc, i have sufficient knowledge of using a mig welder too and i have a general idea off how to build a body using framing, foam and fibreglass.
But thats all i know, the other stupid reason to all this is because im stuck at home under quarantine and on my drive sat haunting my dreams is my old 1L automatic nissan micra, so basically what im trying to do is
1. find exact dimentions to build a chassis
2. find dimentions to make the body
3. transplant as much as i can from the donor car (trying to make this build an automatic)
4. up the engine to a 1.2, 1.4 (insurance is hell ain't it?)
5. fit the electrics in.

I know this is a lot but im on a fairly limited budget and working with what i have, i will appreciate all and any help throughout this terrible idea,Thanks!!

Cruel to be kind. Yes, it is a stupid build.

As others have said, don't even think about putting a 4 cylinder in a Cobra.

If you believe you have the skillset to build a chassis from scratch, dimension accurate, then a V8 driveline is easy.

t walgamuth 04-29-2020 05:03 AM

Some of the guys have been a little brutal with their answers but they do make some good points.

I'd recommend buying someone else's unfinished project cobra and start from there. Drive your little econobox while you are working on the project so you can keep your costs down.

Building completely from scratch is an immense project. It does not sound from your post that you have a lot of the skills necessary to do it successfully.

It sounds as if you have CAD skills. I suggest you try to put one on CAD as a start.

Dominik 04-29-2020 06:54 AM

For the body file, check CGTrader.com

And get a V8

aaannnd 04-29-2020 12:28 PM

And how about this?
http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-...sed-cobra.html

ERA 626 04-29-2020 08:23 PM

you cant make this **** up...

Wigly 04-29-2020 11:47 PM

baby cobra sounds cute, but i don't like the idea..

olddog 04-30-2020 10:25 AM

Well I have seen a golf cart with a cobra body. Well, I'm not sure if it was a golf cart, it might have been a kids 4 wheeler or a go cart. My memory isn't so good.

Buzz 04-30-2020 12:36 PM

What he said!

Quote:

Originally Posted by olddog (Post 1475726)
Connor,

If I read you correctly, you want to build a Cobra from scratch using a 4 cylinder Nisan as the donor car.

To those who love the Cobra and the replica rage in recreating something of high quality, you are the anti-Christ.

You will likely get a warmer welcome by your Church elders after asking to take nude pictures of their daughters, in their Church.

Clueless Clowns building unsafe cars can easily get our sport legislated into oblivion.

Please build a Chevy Vega or a Ford Pinto. Any piece of $hit car that few people care about. Not the Holy Grail of performance cars.

I usually say each to their own, but as my end time is nearing (hopefully years not days) I have no sense of humor when it comes to someone building something like you propose. However that all said I admire your desire to build a car. Just try not to put a turd in my punch bowl.

Brilliant and to the point! This project will be an exercise in futility. At best you will end up with an abomination that won't be worth its weight in scrap.
As was already stated, having the will to build a car from scratch is admirable in itself, but at least you should want your efforts to amount to something worthwhile and reflective of the tremendous amount of time, work and effort that will be invested into it.

To olddog - blessed are those who have lived long enough to appreciate the value in telling the unvarnished truth! Cheers and here's to many more years! :)

BTW, Connor - welcome to the club! :LOL:

xb-60 05-01-2020 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz (Post 1475812)
....BTW, Connor - welcome to the club! :LOL:

Connor19 has only posted twice, so we have either scared him away, or Connor19 is actually olddog, bored and having a lend of us ;)

Cheers!
Glen

MAStuart 05-01-2020 07:07 AM

Hey now! If he builds it. It might be safer than an original car. How lite would he have to build to be equal to an original in HP to weight ratio. Is an original safe and built to save your life?

Buzz 05-01-2020 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xb-60 (Post 1475834)
Connor19 has only posted twice, so we have either scared him away, or Connor19 is actually olddog, bored and having a lend of us ;)

Cheers!
Glen

Lol - Glen, if it wasn't for the date, I would've thought it was an April fools thread!

olddog 05-01-2020 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz (Post 1475812)
Brilliant and to the point! This project will be an exercise in futility. At best you will end up with an abomination that won't be worth its weight in scrap.
As was already stated, having the will to build a car from scratch is admirable in itself, but at least you should want your efforts to amount to something worthwhile and reflective of the tremendous amount of time, work and effort that will be invested into it.

To olddog - blessed are those who have lived long enough to appreciate the value in telling the unvarnished truth! Cheers and here's to many more years! :)

BTW, Connor - welcome to the club! :LOL:

Well I didn't want to beat up on a puppy.

I can still remember being a puppy.

And yes I made my share of messes, too.

I didn't want to totally demoralize the pup, but I had a moral obligation to set him straight.

I did forget to welcome him. My bad.

No I didn't create an alias just to kick him around. I don't have the time for that.

It would be nice if Conner stuck around. We do need new young blood to keep this madness alive. I might have ruined that.

Alfa02 05-02-2020 04:10 AM

olddog, I wouldn't worry about scaring Conner19 away (Or is it really Corvid19, under a assumed name ???, I think I need to get out more ;) ). Anybody that thinks a 4-cyl. Cobra is a good idea, isn't worth our time :) Or maybe I'm just getting old & cranky, to deal with such non-sense, My God, I'm starting to sound like my Dad :) Cheers TommyRot.

MAStuart 05-02-2020 06:11 AM

Connor19 check into a Lotus super 7 . Guys build what I think they call Lowcost 7's. Might be something you can use your car as parts to build. Is your car front drive? Anyhow it might give you something to do. You will learn to fab and build from it. The cheaper you can do it the better builders of that type of car will like it.

Have fun!