• 1 Post By TTurbo Dax

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-28-2022, 09:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Twin Turbo Dax

I acquired a partially complete Dax 427 Cobra nearly a year ago. I've been working on it here and there, but it spent a lot of that time under a cover. it's far past time that I made a build thread for it though.
About a year ago, a hell of a deal popped up on FB marketplace. It said it was local to be in Alabama, but after reaching out it turned out the build was up in the Northeast US. After a few conversations with the seller, I decided to make a trip up there with a car trailer. It had apparently been purchased in the 80s to be a project with the gentlemen's son but had spent much of that time in storage. Once I got there, everything was more or less how the seller had described. The only large piece missing was the windshield, which he had told me about. The shell was there, nearly ready to run, with much of the interior and other pieces in several large boxes.
I went ahead with the purchase and brought it back home. The car was RHD, and had a Rover V8 and 4-speed trans in it, along with a first-gen Jag IRS. All the main pieces were in the boxes. The seats would need reupholstering, and the gas tank worked on, but overall it was a great deal, and a great opportunity to finish someone else's project. The fiberglass was overall in good shape on the exterior, but it had been cut up in several places on the inside panels, especially the passenger footwell and around the front suspension.
The first thing that was decided was that I didn't want the Rover V8. Would have been fine for cruising and all, but I like to go fast. Found a gentleman in MGs in Florida and sold him the motor and trans. It was a brand new motor, still with cross-hatching in the bores, but I wanted something with more capability. After that, the car was put to the side. Between a house remodel, an unexpected surgery, and my other project (Restomd 69 Mustang)m, there wasn't much time or ability during recovery to work on this.
I did spend that time looking for parts for the Cobra and the Mustang. Ended up finding a built drag aftermarket block SBF and S480 turbo for an exceptional deal. I bought it without deciding which car it went into. I also acquired a twin-turbo setup (Precision 6266s) for a Foxbody drag car that the guy was selling to move to e supercharger. The decision was made to put a Coyote in the Mustang, which left the SBF in the Cobra. Besides, there was no way that the Coyote would have fit in the Cobra. The original plan was to use the s480 in the Cobra, until I realized that it would be challenging to run dual exit side exhaust off of a single turbo. The decision was made to run the 6266s on the Cobra, find different turbos for the Mustang, and use the s480- on my truck.
So, there's a plan now. Use the built SBF block, two Precision 6266s, a new Tremec TKC close-ratio trans, and make a twin-turbo, 1,000 hp, streetable race car. Steering and brakes will both be manual, as will the transmission. Power will go out through the (strengthened) Jag IRS and Hallibrand replica wheels. The current plan is for 235/50ZR15 Toyo Proxes R888R on all 4 corners. The front brakes seem sufficient, being relatively large 4-pot Jag brakes. I'll see if I can find some aggressive pads for them though. Fuel will be provided by Aeromotive Phantom in-tank dual 340 lph fuel pumps in a custom fuel cell. Fuel delivery and timing will be handled by a Holley Super Sniper and Hyperspark. Other details are being worked out. I will try to keep this more up to date as I actively work on this, with the goal of having her on the road this summer sometime and complete by the end of the year.

Pics to follow
Old 05-28-2022, 09:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The car on pickup, and first arriving back in Alabama. The large single roll bar has got to go.
Attached Images

Old 05-28-2022, 09:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Original motor and trans on the frame. Nothing wrong with it. It was in great shape, in fact. I just want to have something much more than a cruiser.
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2022, 03:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Sounds like a fun project. Is the car already titled? I ask because I built a car in Alabama and I had to jump through a few hoops to get it approved.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 05-29-2022, 07:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Tommy, no it is not. I'm aware of some of the issues, wasn't going to worry too much about it until I'm closer to roadworthy. Might be reaching out for some pointers around that time, if you'd be willing.
Old 05-29-2022, 08:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

I'd be happy to help. My number is in the PM is sent.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 06-03-2022, 05:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

First thing: gotta mount the motor. A SBF easily fits in the engine bay. The old mounts were easily cut off the square frame rails. I had a set of mounts during around the shop from an old build (you can see them on the side of the motor). Turns out they lined up perfectly with the frame rails. I mean, it was like they were made for this, bring no more than a 1/16 of an inch off center. Some quick CAD and a week turnaround from SendCutSend gave me the easiest motor mounts in existence. A little TIG welding and boxing and we had a new motor and trans in. Still need to fabricate a trans mount, but this will be enough to start building the turbo hotside.
Attached Images

Tommy likes this.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: