LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-19-2021, 01:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA:289 8 stack
Not Ranked     
Default Seatra's ERA 289FIA in production

Greetings from Virginia Beach,
Like most of you, I have always been intrigued by the collaboration of AC cars and Carroll Shelby to build a certain auto that took shape in the 60s and quickly dominated the GT race scene. I was only a youngster back then but I have always been fond of the Cobra. Fast forward some 58 odd years and welcome to my Cobra build experience. I have deep appreciation for the MkII platform, but for me, it has to be the 298FIA/USRRC car. My research had led me to tours of a few manufacturer facilities and deliberation on which producer would suit my vision/project requirements. I am happy to say that ERA is building my replica. I toured Peter’s facility years ago and was struck by their dedication to the craft. ERA quality is top notch, but my decision was swayed mostly by Peter himself. I consider him part of the deal and look forward to my association with ERA.

The production wait time at ERA ebbs and floods. Peter said it would be about a 14 month wait time when I received my quote earlier this year. I pulled the trigger on my first deposit in April 21. I was surprised to get a call from Peter late July to inform me that my chassis would be headed to powder coat soon and it was time for my second deposit. I suspect that something may have happened to a previous order or production schedule and he was giving me an opportunity to bump up in the line. Peter said there were eight cars ahead of me and my chassis would be waiting for the body. My chassis number is 2164.

My build will be a close replica of CSX 2345. I just want the raw, form follows function type project. For this build, Peter will serve as my AC Cars Limited supplier and I will take on the role of Shelby American. ERA will build the basic unpainted non roller kit, mounted on dollies, with the following base and option items:

298 FIA/USRRC Basic Kit-Comp style
Bond body option
Primary pipes with straight side pipes, black: (will probably go with some type of muffler)
Lucas Tripode headlights
Heater and ducting
Oil cooler assembly, 4"
Sand blasting, powder coating chassis, etc.
Powder coat and install roll bar
289 Comp dashboard
Comp driver seat/street passenger seat with seat tracks
ERA reproduction steering column
Steering wheel, wood 15"; (Looking into a CSX 2345 style wheel too)
Sunvisors
Windshield washers, mechanical pump with cowl fittings and reservoir
Windwings
Battery cables, rear battery (ground, starter sol., starter)
Battery kill switch
Wilwood front brakes/rotor upgrade
3 can reservoir system
Front coil-over damper w/spring and hardware
E brake handle, cable, and balance assembly for ERA rear suspension
Small Block engine mounts
Harrison cooling system expansion tank
Rear license plate bracket
ERA modified rack and pinion steering gear
ERA Rear suspension, with outboard brakes (gear ratio TBD)
Anti-sway bar, front and rear
FIA Pin drive wheels (6 pin), hubs, and front bearings
Windshield wiper assembly including arms and blades
Drill rivet holes on front perimeter of hood in pattern of CSX 2345

Some of these options (heater, ducting, visors, wind wings) were not on the race car. Other than the occasional romp at VIR, it will be mostly spirited street driving for me. I have a 1965 289 that will be the first engine for this car. My 289 is currently running strong in another vehicle. I will take compression cuts and do a close visual inspection but it should be a solid citizen. I have not decided on HP/torque goals, but I do not envision more than 300-400 HP. I have not decided on induction. CSX2345 has a Weber 8 stack. I like the TKX over the top loader but I still need to decide close or wide ratio, OD ratio, and rear end gears.

I have a mechanical background and have restored several cars. I have books by Rinsey Mills, Dave Friedman and John Christy, Carroll Shelby, and Michael Shoen. While surfing the Cobra Ferrari wars website, I learned that ERA used patterns pulled from CSX-2345 for the ERA 289 body. I still have more research to do and have been digging into build logs and the forum to better focus my build. You Tube doesn’t have much in the way of “build” vids…

My paint will follow the current CSX 2345 edition. Unlike the original, I don’t think I will be painting it Viking first, then hitting the exposed parts with Guardsman blue. Probably more like a base/clear Guardsman with USRRC stripes. I am replicating a race car so I’m not looking for a concours paint job. The CSX 2345 simple but elegant livery will do.

I am using this time to finish a 79 VW vert Beetle project to make room for my Cobra! Peter did not speculate ERA’s completion time. If everything goes well, I hope to have her sometime next spring to late summer.
sgianino, 1985 CCX, Bill D and 2 others like this.

Last edited by seatra; 08-21-2021 at 09:03 AM.. Reason: Spelling correction
Old 08-19-2021, 01:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2102, Keith Craft 427W
Not Ranked     

Congrats on your new ERA 289 FIA build!

Check out the ERA FIA on BaT at the moment. Awesome build and very close to the paint scheme on CSX2345 as well.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...-289fia-cobra/

Cheers
Old 08-19-2021, 01:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR chassis and suspension, Mr. Bruce 289 FIA body
Not Ranked     

Super cool. Be sure to post pics
Old 08-19-2021, 05:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

seartra,

Sounds like a great build. You have done a lot of homework and have a clear vision of what you want.

Peter, Bob and the crew at ERA are wonderful to work with and they build and excellent Cobra. You will have more choices to make and always keep Peter and Bob’s sage advice in mind, they have been at this a very long time.

I am running a TKO600 with the 0.82 OD, the 3.54 rear axle ratio & outboard brakes and a 302 with about 365HP … have been very happy with the setup.

Will be following your build with interest, enjoy the process and the end result will be well worth the wait.
sgianino likes this.
Old 08-20-2021, 08:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkb289 View Post
seartra,

Sounds like a great build. You have done a lot of homework and have a clear vision of what you want.

Peter, Bob and the crew at ERA are wonderful to work with and they build and excellent Cobra. You will have more choices to make and always keep Peter and Bob’s sage advice in mind, they have been at this a very long time.

I am running a TKO600 with the 0.82 OD, the 3.54 rear axle ratio & outboard brakes and a 302 with about 365HP … have been very happy with the setup.

Will be following your build with interest, enjoy the process and the end result will be well worth the wait.
I'm kinda leaning the same way with ratios. Only difference may be TKX vice TKO
Old 08-21-2021, 11:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 351W
Not Ranked     

Regarding ratios: I’d prefer the close ratio tkx (don’t know about that trans, just talking gearing) with 2.87 first and .68 5th gear. Ask around about people’s preferences and see if can drive one.
Old 08-21-2021, 04:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Congrats on you new FIA project, you will not be disappointed. Peter, Bob, Teddy and crew will present you with the finest non aluminum replica on the planet. Don't be shocked if your build gets bumped up, as many customers want turn-key cars, and yours may be finished sooner than later. Peter will always be there for you with help, answers to questions and hard to find parts. Enjoy the journey, I did.
sgianino likes this.
Old 09-21-2022, 05:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

2164 in the front door now. Thanks to Peter for sending a few photos along!
Attached Images

1985 CCX, Alfa02 and rustyrims like this.
Old 09-21-2022, 05:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

ERA does a great job!
Old 09-21-2022, 06:33 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Perfect, congratulations

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 09-21-2022, 08:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

looks awesome. Almost ready
Old 09-23-2022, 08:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 2158, ERA 427SC 649 sold
Not Ranked     

You will love the car! It will be well worth the wait. I recently finished building my ERA FIA (2158), if you have any questions with the build process feel free to PM me.

Craig
Old 02-13-2024, 10:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Been a while since my last post. I am happy to report that 2164 is now safely home. Everything for body work and paint prep. The panel fit is pretty good and the mold lines aren't too bad. Once I fair out a few low spots and fix some small gelcoat air pockets, I will shoot a few coats of epoxy followed by 2K primer. This is where the real fun of blocking out the entire car comes. I plan to use Evercoat Vette Panel Adhesive and Fill for the direct to gelcoat issues. I have been flip flopping on color. Originally, I was going for the current CSX-2345 look but I currently favor the older, Targa Florio look.Name:  Cobra homecoming 27JAN2024.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  97.6 KB
1985 CCX likes this.
Old 02-13-2024, 11:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Congrats buddy, looks awesome!
1985 CCX likes this.
Old 02-13-2024, 02:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have #2119 and love the car. I've got almost 90K on it and plan on maybe 7-8K more this year. (Saskatoon trip from AZ) Too bad the outboard brakes weren't available for you but the inboards will work just fine. They are just not nearly as easy to bleed or swap pads. I'd recommend installing remote bleeders while the rear end is easily accessible. BTW, I went with 44 IDF Webers, which are fine until I hit some higher elevations. If I were to do it all again, I would go with a nice stack injection. Still get the "look" but better driveability through mountains. Hope you enjoy your FIA as much as I do mine.
Old 02-13-2024, 04:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I know a few others wanted the ERA rear with outboards too. Was talking to Peter when loading up my car and noticed he had a 3D-printed pattern in his office for the rear hub assemblies. He talked about pursuing a foundry but I'm not sure when that would happen.
Old 02-14-2024, 11:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

I discussed with Peter as well. I identified a source to machine from billet with his model.

ERA is just too busy to stand up a new supplier.

John
Old 02-14-2024, 03:15 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubby View Post
I discussed with Peter as well. I identified a source to machine from billet with his model.

ERA is just too busy to stand up a new supplier.
I remember chatting with Peter and him saying that the outboard braked rear took a tremendous amount of time to set up properly. So maybe the issue is a bit more complicated than just getting new uprights cut from billet. That would seem to be such an obvious answer to the problem that there has to be a missing piece.
Old 02-15-2024, 01:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

I think you are partly correct.

Peter no longer sells side curtains and ERA logo floor mats. I think there are other options they no longer offer. He told me that many years back most of the cars were sold as unpainted kits. Today, most are sold as painted with substantial assembly at ERA. A lot of the cars are rollers or turn key.

He has an aging crew and I think they are trying to lighten the load in several places. The ERA rear is just one of those places.

John
Old 02-15-2024, 01:34 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubby View Post
I think you are partly correct.

Peter no longer sells side curtains and ERA logo floor mats. I think there are other options they no longer offer. He told me that many years back most of the cars were sold as unpainted kits. Today, most are sold as painted with substantial assembly at ERA. A lot of the cars are rollers or turn key.

He has an aging crew and I think they are trying to lighten the load in several places. The ERA rear is just one of those places.

John
I think you're right. But, man, to drop the outboard braked rear is, IMO, a terrible mistake. It is probably the coolest part on my car.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: