Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2006, 10:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 323 392
Not Ranked     
Default Backdraft wanted.......

looking for a backdraft...ideal car would have 450+hp motor...17" wheels..colors preferences: blue, black,or silver with stripe..IRS rear-end..will consider other manufacturers but being 6'4", i find the backdraft to be a good , comfortable fit....looking to pay mid/upper 30's depending on condition..thx..Tim...can email me pics or comments
Old 03-30-2006, 01:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Timhorr, I don't want to disappoint you, but I think you need to revise your numbers. By my estimation, a Backdraft with 17' and 450 HP (assuming 351W based motor), you're looking at at least 40K and probably closer to 42K, used.

If however you want something with a 302, you may be able to snag one used for 35K - 38K. This is based on what I have been seeing. Good luck.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Backdraft..

Bill..thx for the insight..Last week in austin i met frank dodd from backdraft and he has two new cars (i think one had a ford racing 385hp and the other a 430hp)...both had 17in wheels and were nicely detailed...the cost was 38k and 42k repectively...so i think the mid/upper 30's appears to be a fair number for a used car..but i appreaciate the comments..
Old 03-30-2006, 03:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR#078,408 Dart Block, TKO 600,Indigo Blue, White Stripe
Send a message via Yahoo to JayBar
Not Ranked     

Tim,
I'm with Bill ,I think you will have to pay 40K.
And what is ment by HP. The 385 is a number Ford puts out on a engine they sell "like" the one they will sell you, on a dyno with controled conditions and headers built to produce max HP. Same with the 430 HP. What you ask is what are the "cubes" heads, cam, and carb. Then if you want a HP number take it to a shop and run it up on the Dyno.
Using these catalog HP ratings is so much BS, put out for our ego and marketing.
I would buy Franks car for 38K plus you get a one year warentee.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, Boss 351
Not Ranked     

I would have to agree. I saw both those cars in Austin last weekend and they are 'nice'. You are much better off buying a car with a warranty than getting a used car that may or may not have unforseen issues.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 89 KEITH CRAFT ALL ALUMINUM 427 WINDSOR
Not Ranked     

timhorr

I was in Austin last week parked across from Frank and the crew. I had the red BDR , my car has 15 inch wheels, red in color, but has all aluminum 427 windsor with over 600 horsepower, really nice car and no junk and is already registered in Texas. I would like to sell the car, has over 60,000 in it. Looking to get around 47,000 for her. PM me or e-mail me at don16cin4@yahoo.com. By the waty it is a Kieth Craft motor.

DON
Old 03-30-2006, 03:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 930, 427 Windsor T56
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewismc
You are much better off buying a car with a warranty than getting a used car that may or may not have unforseen issues.
You obviously don't have a BDR. Used BDR's should cost more. The owner has most likely spent the first year or so sorting it out...

Have Fun!

BDR #930
08 Corvette Coupe
92 Sunburst Yellow Miata
#81 Saturn V Miata Crapcan racer
Panoz GTRA #42
Old 03-30-2006, 03:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, Boss 351
Not Ranked     
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorac
You obviously don't have a BDR. Used BDR's should cost more. The owner has most likely spent the first year or so sorting it out...
Build an Everett-Morrison then talk to me about sorting out problems
Old 03-30-2006, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

DC,

I didn't get a chance to see those cars that they took to Austin, at least I don't think so. What colors were they?

I went down to Boynton last Tuesday, March 21 to talk to Frank and take a test drive. After a short tour, and Q & A about engine/tranny install options I asked if we could take one for a spin. Frank told me that because of the Austin event, they had things packed and ready to go (I think they were leaving the following day), so there were none available to test drive.

I'll have to make another trip down there, (I'll call in advance this time) so that I can try one on for size.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I checked out both of the Backdraft cars at the Austin meet. One was silver with black stripes and the other is white with blue stripes.

MikeyB
Old 03-30-2006, 08:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 65AC.COM
Not Ranked     

I have what you are looking for. Check out www.65ac.com The car comes with the web site domain name and all.....
Old 04-01-2006, 06:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

tim,
you can easily find a used backdraft for mid-30's, as you can see you can buy a new one for upper 30's. You can buy your turnkey minus and you crate engine and tranny for upper 30's depending on how you handle shipping. people ask one price and get offered others. Do not offer on what people are asking offer on what the car is worth, first lesson of Lexus salesperson book.
Old 04-01-2006, 08:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default madmaxx

Thx for the insight..i've been thru the price haggling on a few cars (mainly muscle cars)...this is my first cobra but my first time around the track with buying an illiquid asset..I'm patient, we'll see what happens..
Old 04-01-2006, 04:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Patients and cash = huge saving in this market. Put yourself in the sellars position, the majority of time they are located out of state which means you have to pay shipping, then comes the trust part, when does he get the money, when you get the title? you get the car? damage during transit, how long will it take you to sell it, have you forgot about the titling fiasco in some instances. Remeber you will have your garage space and cash, he has space in the garage he wants and wants money for another toy. Give yourself a year to find the car you want, might come up next week maybe in the fall, 75% of the fun is the anticipation, these cars are monsters, no windows, ac, heater, you could run down to your lexus dealer and buy a SC430 (convertible) 2003 with 30K miles for what you are paying for a cobra. Cash is and always will be KING. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND DO NOT RUSH INTO IT!!!!!!!, I have to admit the 38K for the reg had at Austin last week as described above says alot, read between the lines, if he is willing to sell that one brand spanky new then he will probably duplicate at another time, factor that in when you are trying to sell one, because as you know buyers research the heck out of these things. If the one talked about above did have 17 wheels and a FMS engine I would not touch a used one for over 34K, heck I might call reg myself and buy that one as long as it is as described above and newer than chassis 300.
Old 04-01-2006, 04:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I am not a lexus salesperson but I had an interesting conversation with one when I was buying my USED lexus at a 20K discount off the new price and 18 months old
Old 04-01-2006, 08:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Proof is in the pudding. An incredible Venom just sold on ebay with 500 mile on a FMS engine for $23K, I think 800 total miles titled as a 64. True it had an automatic but you could convert to standard for 3K. 26K you are in a new backdraft. Backdraft = Venom, Windsheild had been upgraded and apparently all the other flows with the earlier backdrafts/venoms. Silver, black interior. If I only could have found my ebay password, the link on club cobra quit working so i finally went to ebay and it only had 23 minutes left. That was the deal of the year!!!! If you would have seen the detail the guy put into everyone questions you were confident the car was legit. OUCH, I WILL NOT SLEEP WELL TONIGHT!!!. That was as good as deal as I got on my backdraft when I bought it.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:09 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Maxx,
1st off Backdraft does not equal Venom... that is apples to rotten apples but that ebay car really was an odd build. Know the car, know the guy that built it and the strange ways it was done... and the even stranger questions he had while building it. But that's how some people build their car I guess. The $23k price I missed but ... strange all around.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default any thoughts on Shell Valley

i see one just went up on cobracountry...appears a taller driver currently owns...most of my research has consisted of backdraft and superformance (superformance owners a very proud and demand quiet a premium)..but are shell valley cobras typically built at home or manufactured like the BDR and Superformance.how much, if any, of a discount would the shell valley typically get??
Old 04-02-2006, 03:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

if you can get a fantastic deal on a used superformance chassis 1200 or higher I would go for it. They are impressive cars. I really stayed away from anything that was not turnkey minus, I am sure there are excellent "home" built cars but I have to assume I guy building hundreds of them would be a little bit more proficient and have some engineering designe to back up what they offer.

What happended with the venom was you had to search ebay for Venom, it got pulled from ebay once then the links from club cobra to ebay did not work so itf you were not looking for a venom you would have missed. In my opinion the car was easily worth 29K (and I am a cheap bastarddddd) with the auto, he even had a convetible top for it, custom made sidepipes, new fms crate engine etc. Sombody got a heck of a deal, did I mention it was already titled as a 64.