28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2003, 09:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question US Title Service

Has anyone used US Title service, to obtain new title and if so what did they think of them.
Old 06-07-2003, 10:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

DO a search for "Titles Unlimited" here and you'll find the answer.

They are a similar type of operation. It's just like they "just say no"
Old 06-07-2003, 11:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default U.S.Title Service

I was about to use U.S.Title Title Service. I'm taking delivery of a Lone Star '66 Built by an authorized builder. Built in 2003 But need a 1966 title for Streetrod (No inspection, emmissons) purposes. They seem to be the only one I could find. Any negative problems w/ them? Is there anyone else that issues a title for a Cobra replica not ever titled yet?
Old 06-07-2003, 02:46 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: - Unique - 302 - 4 spd. -
Not Ranked     

There has been much talk about what these title services can and cannot do.

First and formost.... they cannot make your kit car a 1965 or whatever you "want" it to be..... legally

That's not to say that you can't "trick" them into supplying you with a '65 title for a car you just built in your garage.

In most cases, you are dealing with a state that is a "non-title state" for cars over 20 or 25 years old. What this means, is these states do not issue titles for these vehicles. Just the bill of sale and vehicle registration is enough to satisfy their law. Because most states honor other states laws, when you bring one of these registered cars to your home state, they will accept the other states documention and issue a title for the vehicle.

When you make application for their service, you are stating that you OWN a 1965 vehicle (or whatever year it is) that has a serial/VIN or ????? and that somehow the vehicle title has become lost/misplaced. Like your recently dead Uncle leaves you his 53 Hudson and you can't find the title. What happens then, is you SELL the car to the title service, who registers the car in their state, and they RE-SELL the car back to you with the required paperwork so you can get a clear title in your state. The car never leaves your garage, just the paperwork moves back and forth. They say it's legal..... so long as YOU are truthful with the info you supply in their application.

The brown stuff hits the fan when you BS these folks and send them bogus info that says that you have a 1965 cobra with a serial number of ?????? (that you stamped in the frame yourself) and you need a title 'cause the original one got lost. They will take your money, issue a registration and bill of sale for what you say you got, and then you take it to your local DMV for a title. If all goes well, your home free..... almost.... because many states are now looking into these cases and revokeing titles that were obtained this way.

Title companies are taking the heat for a lot of this, but only because they "believed" the person making application was telling them the truth........ although I beleive they really knew what was going on, they still played along, believing that if any fraud was brought up, they could point the finger at the applicant and say they only acted on the belief that the info supplied was truthful and accurate. Time will tell how long these companies will stay in business.
Old 06-07-2003, 07:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So Jim, what did you do? Tell me about your process. If I register my 2003 LS427 model 1966 Cobra Replica, won't I have to get it inspected? And if so, what am I expected to do to this 1966 standard vehicle to pass MD state inspection? What about the emissions. I know that the engine number is probably pre 1974. Please help w/ info if you can. I never thought my dream of owning a Cobra would be curtailed like this.
Old 06-07-2003, 07:43 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

wwissman, check your e-mail.

Lowell
Old 06-07-2003, 08:21 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: - Unique - 302 - 4 spd. -
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by wwissman

So Jim, what did you do? Tell me about your process. If I register my 2003 LS427 model 1966 Cobra Replica, won't I have to get it inspected? And if so, what am I expected to do to this 1966 standard vehicle to pass MD state inspection? What about the emissions. I know that the engine number is probably pre 1974. Please help w/ info if you can. I never thought my dream of owning a Cobra would be curtailed like this.
There are better ways to go that are better left for off-line discussion.

My car is titled as 'historic' due to it's age being over 20 years.

Check out http://www.capitalareacobraclub.com

join the club and we'll help you over the hurdles.

BTW, in your profile you list your location as "seven"... don't you mean Severn, like in A.A. County?

- Jim -

Last edited by Cobra20646; 06-07-2003 at 08:28 PM..
Old 06-08-2003, 04:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

Ohh, why don't the Feds just close these people down permanantly?
They close one and another pops up. Guys, unless your state explicitly allows you to register the car for what it isn't..STAY AWAY FROM THEM!

DV...Ok,Ok, I know, back to work Register NOW! It is important.
Old 06-08-2003, 08:17 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1507 427 Dart Block Windsor
Not Ranked     

Here in Illinois, I went through the trouble and expense of paying the sales tax and having the car inspected. An expensive PIA, yeah, especially since the MVD lost my application info and it took 4 months to get title and plates. Fortunately I started all this in December. Some guys here in IL have obtained registrations in one trip to the local MVD office but I wasn't that lucky. BUT-I've now got a legally registered car and the cops can't impound it for trying to represent something it isn't.

Imagine your new Cobra sitting outside behind the local police station while your state MVD screws around trying to decide what to do with your bogus paperwork because you tried to cut a corner and avoid an inspection. What do you think it'll look like three months later when you pay the fine and get it back?
Old 06-08-2003, 08:19 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1507 427 Dart Block Windsor
Not Ranked     

Oh yeah...and what do you think your insurance company will say if you crash your new Cobra and they find that the car involved in the crash wasn't really the car you insured with them? So sorry...