14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2001, 07:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: VICTORY, 92 C.I., belt drive, saddle bags.
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up KwikLift, Inc: Two Thumbs UP!!

Not only is this product a particularly cool idea, the fine folks who run KwikLift in Broken Arrow, OK are very customer oriented.

The owner (Danny) actually took time to visit with me when I made an unscheduled visit to their factory. I bought a KwikLift on the spot.

I can't get a good shot of my installation at this moment, so I'll attach a pic from one of their other customers.

Since receiving it, they have answered my questions right away and have provided the kind of service I simply don't expect anymore.

As for an economical method to get under the ole Snake for servicing and such, I don't think there is any other product out there.

I've suggested they contact Brent to discuss putting a banner ad on CC. I wholeheartedly give my endorsement.

Stop by their web site for a look:

http://www.kwiklift.com/

Respectfully Submitted,

Zderf
Old 06-01-2001, 09:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ZDERF:

interesting that you posted this thread about KWIKLIFT...i just got my SPF #1049 ten days ago and a friend dropped by my office this a.m. with the info on the lift...i was just about to post a thread asking if anyone had any experience with this lift and what the pros and cons of it were.

it appears to be very well made and should be just the right thing for the occasional time that you want to get under the cobra...also has a lot of features , like being able to store it flat on the floor when not needed etc.

thanks for the update on it.

do any other members have any experience with the lift?

Gordon
Old 06-01-2001, 01:18 PM
289 FIA Fan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Cool Doesn't Need to be Flat

You don't even need to fold it flat, I park my Nissan pickup on it every night. Head out driver's window, watch left front tire. When to the top, put two chocks behind the left front and left rear tire - no problems at all. BMW 5 series not as easy; can't see the left front tire with head out the window!

Well constructed and easy to roll around under.
Old 06-02-2001, 04:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Lightbulb On da Floor!

I'm understanding of those who choose not to lay the KwikLift on the floor for thier dialy routine. Dat bees goot for dim!

For me at 21" off the floor, it bees a little too high for comfortable fiddle faddle under the hood. With the ramp on its standard incline, standing on it at its base angle creates a sense of falling and not being able to get up (I may need a 911 transmitter, eh?). Of course I'm a tad short at 5' 19", so maybe dats da deal!

I am pleased to attach a pic of the assembly on the floor showing my daily set up. I fabricated and attached a lift bracket to the front bridge which allows one to raise the front of both ramps using a floor jack to install the towers. The entry is mellowed using cut, stacked, glued, screwed, and painted 2X6's as per KwikLift instructions. Quite a simple set up actually.

Enjoy and Happy Jacking!!!

Zderf.
Old 11-30-2001, 06:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SMC Motorcars 289
Send a message via Yahoo to renaissance man
Not Ranked     
Default I have to get one of these!

I have to get one of these! This looks like the best solution for getting under the car.

I don't know how many times I've had to use a cheap jack, position it just forward of the front tire on the side and gently glide it into position under the front crossmember to jack the car up. Then my jack only goes to 15" so, I have to break out the larger jack (that won't initially fit under the car) to get it to 21" to put jackstands under the car! Pretty precarious at times I might add.

I'm gettin' me one of these boys!

Dave "Ren Man"
Old 11-30-2001, 07:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs down 5 Step Process

RenMan,

You brought back old memories on your "jack up" program. I had to do much the same thing... since only the tiny floor jack would fit under the car for starters. In fact, I had to go in from the forward side and jack up one tire enough to fit a two stack of 2X6's so I could get under the cross member up front.

I was a 30 minute process to get all 4's up on my GIANT jack stands so it was high enough to clear my long snout whilst on the creeper.

Ahhhhh. those day are gone now. Its a 1 minute procedure, and the car is way higher than I could achieve with the jack stands.

You'll love it!!

Oh, it comes in colors that might match your car too!

Good Luck... they are great folks to deal with.

Zderf
Old 11-30-2001, 08:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Project "X" underway....twin turbo V6, AWD...
Not Ranked     
Question

Zderf,
I notice what appears to be a piece of 2x4 under the center of each ramp section. May I ask the purpose of those? Also, how difficult is it to change from the flat storage mode to lifting mode?

I've been intrigued with these since your original post, and just maybe, if I've been a good 'nuff boy, Santa might bring me one!

Dave

P.S. Also, is there any tendency for the ramps to slide on the concrete when attempting to load a car?
Old 11-30-2001, 08:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Kwick Enough!

Hello Delola,

The 2X4's are placed at each front corner and at the slip joint where the front and rear ramp sections join. This is where the adjustment is made for overall length of the lift. The reason for the 2X4's is make the assembly level, as there is a radius at the rear for the large round lift bar that protrudes below the ramp bottom about 1.5".

For changing to lift mode in the fashion that I have developed, you must have at least one center bridge placed up front from which to jack up the front of both ramps simultaneously. It takes me about 5 minutes to convert from floor to ramp up using the center bridge with the hook I designed and installed (idea submitted to Kwiklift, but no feedback on whether they have made that an option).

Otherwise, you'll need to 2 people. One to lift the front of each ramp whilst the other places the stand under the ramp. The ramps weigh about 150# each.

The assembly does not slide at all. There is really now place to "push" it. The transition ramps that come with it work nicely when the ramp is up, and the 2X6 transition one builds for the floor position works nicely as well.

Love it....

Zderf
Old 11-30-2001, 10:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default TY!

Thanks for the feedback!

Customer experience influences my decision way more than ANY brochure or website.

Anybody else using these, have comments?

So far, I like what I hear and see.

Dave
Old 11-30-2001, 10:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 156, ex Paxton 351, now a 392 Ford Racing Stroker
Not Ranked     

IF you have the ceiling height a regular 4 post lift is not that much more money and allows you to also park a car under a car thus maximizing usage of your garage, ie, 2 cars into one stall ! 9-1/2 feet ceiling height is about as low as you can go trhough and the second car cannot be over 61" high at highest point. just a thought. I fit a SPF AND a 65 Mustang or Taurus or 01 Mustang over/under each other in just 9-1/2 feet. something to think about. if you do NOT have the ceiling ht then a Qwik Lift is ideal . Bill
Old 11-30-2001, 12:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bill

who did you get your four post lift from and what was the approximate cost?

thanks
Old 11-30-2001, 12:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 156, ex Paxton 351, now a 392 Ford Racing Stroker
Not Ranked     

depending on the brand and the options the average cost is usually $2800-$3200 INCLUDING installation and freight. these hummers weigh about 1500 pounds +/- so freight can get up there $ wise. it takes 2 or 3 people to install it but if you have it done commercially local rates are $300-$400 here. many options available but a 'jacking tray' is a must and light weight drive on removable ramps (mine are diamond plate ) are 2 good choices . the jacking tray slides between the rails and allows usage of a bottle jack and jack stands to get the tires up off the ramps if need be. if ceiling ht is limited and you have a single door like my 3 stalls each have , then a high lift kit needs to be added to the garage door to get the door snugged up to the ceiling to max lift ht, or car will hit same when car is up and door is opened. then you need to make sure no overhead (centerline of car) lights exist and the garage door opener and track have to be moved to the side so it too does not become an obstacle for the car when up. either change is inexpensive. I have a two post lift too but for Cobras the 4 post is preferred due to limited frame pick up points , side pipe interference on some and low ground clearance of the swing arms on a 2 poster. My 4 poster is a STINGER brand , who like many others advertise in Hemmings and have websites as well. There are visible differences between the various brands and they are priced accordingly too, but 3 grand +/- should put a 4 poster in your garage including freight and professional installation. Used units can also sometimes be found, at least here . one of my hoists has been in since 1994 and the other since 1999 and I have had NOT ONE problem with either. Attached photo shows 5 cars in a 3 car garage, with a Taurus parked under the SPF in the right hand picture. Bill.
Old 12-07-2001, 04:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

Bill:

A different subject, but noticed in the picture the great looking floor. What material did you use and what was the prep? My last application was six years ago and is now starting to lift off the cement even though I took all the steps to properly ( I think ) prepare the surface.

..........thanks
Old 12-09-2001, 01:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Previously I had painted my floor with concrete paint every other year and it would always lift where the tires sat or water/winter salt dripped. 4 yrs ago i decided i had painted it for the last time. i contacted a commercial floor coating guy that does airport hanger/commercial floors etc. he came in and media blasted the floor with a riding machine and a hand machine using bb's for shot blast. that took off all the old layers of paint and skimmed a thin layer of concrete off and everything that had been absorbed into it over time. then he put down a commercial two part red epoxy mixture/primer . after 6 days he came back and did another two part epoxy layer , red with gold metal flakes thrown in when it was wet (as if the red itself would not show..hah) . 6 days later he came back and put a coating of clear urethane on it and we added clear silica into it when it was wet for non skid control. so far the floor is absolutely impervious to any fluid droppings, water, road salt etc. stuff drops or drips onto it and ya just wipe it up. NO lifting or peeling anywhere. it does not require much upkeep, I mop it every now and then just to keep it clean . He said it is good for 8-10 yrs. Four yrs so far and all is like brand new with the floor maintaining a shiny gloss wet look which is what i wanted. many colors are available for the floors by the way. bill.
Old 12-09-2001, 04:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, #930, 351W/427CID 419 RWHP (before the Webers!)
Not Ranked     

I too have the KwikLift. Have been using it for about 2 months. I'd suggest getting their modified oil drain pan--makes changing the oil a bit easier. I like the one-man front lift idea. I've just been parking SPF on the incline and that works ok, but a 5 minute job to drop it to floor level in front is a great idea.

Unless you've got a high ceiling this is the only way to go.

TB
Old 12-10-2001, 10:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question

Found these guys the other day, was intrigued by the tilt lift. Similar to the kwiklift, looks quite simple to use. Wondering about the tetter-totter action, though.

Anybody have any experience with these guys, or use any of their products? What do you guys think about that tilt lift?

Still researching possibilities...

www.autolifters.com

Dave
Old 12-16-2001, 06:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

Dave,

I have looked at every conceivable lift on the market. I just can't find anything wrong with any of them. Decided to give up and just buy for cost, service, etc.

If you find one "better" than the others and decide to buy, let me know. We're thinking of getting "two" so maybe we can talk them into a small discount.
DV
Old 12-16-2001, 06:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     
Wink

DV

When you make your choice, possible to post the name, model and price ? Currently, looking for a lift , but with so many choices, etc., etc., and not being able to actually see them, it is difficult to evaluate. Might be a good subject for the Kit Car magazines to provide an overall analysis. Plan on contacting Consumer Reports to run a feature article for the home user.

Don
Old 12-16-2001, 04:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Exclamation YIKES!!

Whew! I don't know, but that Tilt Lift looks scary to me.

BAM! As one drives off. And the weight concentrated on that 5 or 6 sqauare inches on those center legs as the lift tilts forward when loading... Ummmm.

I'd have to watch it a few times before my car entered.

$795? That's about half what I paid for Kwiklift, but I have the 2 bridges and the red powder coat as part of that.

I would be curious how they do it for such a low price. Ummmmm (again).

SCARY!!!

Zderf
Old 12-16-2001, 04:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: in the search, engine 351 Windsor
Send a message via ICQ to Ken Greene
Not Ranked     

mohawk lifts here in NY builds the Strongest lift i've ever seen
http://www.mohawklifts.com/
These things are pricier but it is the strongest design I have ever seen. Thier installed price from a local distributer for their 9000 lbs 2 post lift was right around 3000 if i remember correctly. if your looking for a lift that you never want to have problems with (lifetime cylinder warenties and things). this is who to go with.

And no i dont work for them
but it is where I'm going to be getting my lift when I build the snake pit.
they also have a low rise lift for those who have height challenged garages plus portable msissor lifts too.