28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2006, 04:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Any feedback on Lonestar or Hurricane??

I'm a newbie and am considering a purchase from either Lonestar or Hurricane. Anyone have any experience and feedback for either one of these two companies and their products?
Old 03-29-2006, 04:57 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

I have a Lone Star, do you or have you ever build anything mechanical in your life?

There is a real need to have experience and knowledge in this area. Either you hire someone, know someone or you are that person, but you need to know what you are doing. I say this not because my car is a Lone Star, but because building any car needs a knowledge base.

Lone Star is a roller coaster company. They have a good car. It has reasonable and acceptable designs for the overall systems. Of course you will need to be able to make it all fit together. One week Lone Star is on top of everything, the next, you can't get tham on the phone, but they are not much different than many other caompanies.

I found a couple of areas I need to change, but overall, as long as you don't FOBAR anything, you will end up with a good car.

If you are looking at Lone Star for the money, you should probably know I spent about $50k on mine. I think this about normal for most Cobras, plus or minus $10k.

I'm sure someone will chime in ans give you their view, that one thing nice about CC.

Last edited by trularin; 03-29-2006 at 05:00 AM..
Old 03-29-2006, 05:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Lonestar is a streatched version and unless you are 6'3" or so you may not need the Lonestar. Hurricane is a very well built and optioned kit and an excellent value for your money. Both are good kits and your choice of the engine and drive train will be the biggest difference. Get your facts together as to what options are important to you and which kit best suits your needs.

It seems that no matter how optioned you get your Cobra you will be making "upgrades" periodically. I think that is because many of us enjoy the tinkering factor and a Cobra is "basic MUSCLE transportation" and it is not to sophisticated or complicated.

Clois

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 03-29-2006, 05:23 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

Well said Clois, well said.

Doing London?
Old 03-30-2006, 04:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Great info thanks for the replies. I do have the mechancal background, I've done most of the "major" repairs and rebuilds on my cars so far: Engines, rear ends, brakes, clutches, shift kits etc... I don't weld (at least not yet) but after talking to both Lone Star and Hurricane, they assured me that I won't have to. (true?) I haven't done much painting, but I I'd farm that out anyway (I think most folks do). I think I'll be alright, none of it is rocket science... The only thing I do worry about is the ability for one person to complete most of it. I can get a second set of hands occasionally but I really would rather not depend on someone all the time.

As far as the cost goes, not too concerned (just don't let the wife see your post!! ;-) ) provided it's spread out a bit. THat's actually one of the things I like about Lonestar, the availability to purchase the kit in stages... yeah it'll end up costing a bit more, but I'm really in no rush, I want to take my time with it and I won't have to bother finding a place to store the body and too many "extra" boxes and parts while I'm waiting. For me the cost is more of a "cashflow" excercise than an total cost issue.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     

I have a Lone Star and my friend Mike has a Hurricane. There is a lot of different in the two.
Dwight
Old 03-31-2006, 04:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Dwight, can you elaborate a bit? What do you see as the stand out differences? What helped you decided to go with Lonestar over Hurricane?
Old 03-31-2006, 05:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B cobra (sold), Hurricane HMS1002 (sold), Kirkham 289 FIA, (sold) RCR GT 40(sold) SPF GT40 2122(sold) Hurricane HMS2002, (sold) RCR SLC (sold) GTR on the way!
Not Ranked     

I have built a Hurricane, as a matter of fact, bought the first Hurricane. It was an incredible car. I have not SEEN another glass car the I would have traded my car for. The detail was second to none. If you want a car that is a great blend of modern technology and authenntic looks, I think the Hurricane is the right answer. Check out my car in my gallery. The Hurricane has a correct body shape (check the ERA sight index under "profiles"), it has an exposed roll bar, available IRS, wilwood pedals, braided lines, and many more standard parts that are an upgrade for most manufacturers. I no longer have my car but that speaks to the value of a completed Hurricane. I traded mine for a completed Kirkham Roller and he paid me boot! If you have any questions about the Hurricane, give me a call at 618 322 6046.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     

I build my Lone Star in 2000-2001. Hurricane has been in business a little over a year. There are a few things I like about the LS and a lot of things about the Hurricane I like. I like LS cockpit and trunk tubs are molded to the body. This makes it harder for water and air to get into these areas. I like the 94" wheel base with the 4" in the interior. My doors are 4" longer. Easier to get in and out. The LS body may be heavier. But I think the cars weight about the same. Not importance unless your racing. Mike bought all the upgrades for the suspension, brakes and rear end. CHEAP I think Mike spent less time building his Cobra and he had help and answers at the end of his cell phone, a lot of calls where made late at night. I had no help from LONE STAR and a lot of design problems. I had to get other people to help me solve them. For the money and customer service, Hurricane, hands down. Check out my gallery for pictures of both. I have over a thousand hours and a lot of money in my Cobra. I'm very happy with my Cobra, but would not buy another one from LONE STAR.
Dwight