Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Consumer Watch (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/consumer-watch/)
-   -   Windshield tensor bar? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/consumer-watch/15668-windshield-tensor-bar.html)

FIAFRED 03-24-2002 05:47 PM

Windshield tensor bar?

Does anyone have any experience with using a tensor bar? I picked up some substantial rock chips on my windshield recently, and the shield finally expressed a crack between two of the chip points today. I am going to replace the windshield glass this week. I have not had any vibration problems up to this point, and I have not seen any tensor bars on members cars. However, I noticed that Finish Line shows a windshield tensor bar in it's catalog which is not very expensive. I was just trying to find out if this is an ounce of prevention against future cracking from vibration. Obviously, it won't prevent chips or cracks from rocks flying up from "the road devils". So what's the application for the tensor, in problem solving? Thanks.

FIAFRED:confused:

CobraDan 03-24-2002 06:37 PM

The main reason for the tension bar is to support the windshield if you are running with a soft or hardtop in place. It can't hurt to have one even if you never run with a top.
Dan

bk347 03-25-2002 12:22 PM

Some of the guys on the other forums have attempted to mount the tensioner and found that the screws in the bottom were too long and screwed into the glass cracking it!. Be very careful! Bob

thundercat 03-25-2002 02:10 PM

I just picked up my new Superformance 2 weeks ago It has the tension bar on it...

Snakecharmer 03-25-2002 03:19 PM

I believe that it is also used to support the windshield at high speed.

I've bought quite a bit of stuff (and more to come!) from the Finish Line. I can't say enough about Paula and Enzo. Top Notch company and top notch people. As honest and fun loving as they come :) If you have ANY questions, they'd be happy to answer them for you. Good luck.

Charmer

Jack21 03-25-2002 04:15 PM

Can one of you folks tell me what a tension bar is, where it mounts, and what it does? I have a soft top, and at 70 MPH and up, the top does put a lot of stress on the windshield frame.

donjohn 03-25-2002 04:26 PM

My old MGB had tension bar I never gave a thouhgt to putting one on my cr I bet it would help when you have a top

Dwight 03-25-2002 04:27 PM

Tension Bar

I bought a tension bar from Finish Line. What size and length screws do I need to mount the tension bar to the windshield?

GREAT people Paula and Enzo!!!!!!!!!

Jack Zupan 03-31-2002 05:20 AM

The tensor bar is made to insure that the stress on the windshield frame is spread evenly. If you are moving at speed with a top on the car, there is a lot of stress pulling at single point which can separate the frame from the glass. The tensor bar spreads that stress to the entire frame. SPF first epoxied the glass to the frame as a fix but this is a problem if you have to replace the windshield. I understand that several British sports cars from the 60's had them a well.

Jack Z.

scratch 03-31-2002 09:13 AM

Finish Line folks ARE great for parts.

BTW...aside from rocks and people pulling back on the windshield, I wonder if the next cause of stressed $windshields are excessive flex on the actual car-frame.

I really worry about this every time I jack the car up !

scratch
:MECOOL:

Dwight 03-31-2002 09:47 AM

FRAME FLEX

I DO NOT THINK THAT MY FRAME FLEX WHEN I PICK IT UP. IT'S TO WELL BUILD! A STRONG AND WELL BUILD COWLING BAR SHOULD PREVENT FLEXING OF THE WINDSHIELD.

rdorman 04-04-2002 09:42 AM

2000 miles soft top on all the way!

When I was driving my cobra back from Phoenix to Columbus OH a little less that half way the soft top had pulled the frame completely off the glass in the center of the windscreen! Sure the soft top parts warned against going over 60 with the top up, but do I listen, nope. I stopped at a ACE hardware store and made a interium tensioner and proceeded back down the road continuing my high speed misbehavior. No problems after that.

I have since received and installed the tensioner from the finish line. Nice piece and works great. Two things to second here:
- ANY time you screew into the frame be sure that the screws are so long as to contact the glass!
- ALWAYS use a tensioner with the top. 'ALWAYS' as is why not? Sure as heck won't hurt!

Happy motoring

See you at DVSF II!

davids2toys 06-25-2014 04:47 PM

Found this thread in a search.
I purchased this bar from Finishline and can't figure out how to install it. It came with no instructions at all. I called them and sent an email but they were no help at all except to tell me to go to the forums. I bought this for looks only, I just really like the look, I don't even have a top...LOL
My car already has the brace at the bottom of the windshield and I assume it gets used in conjunction with the brace already there. The bracket that came with the rod is at a 90 deg angle. If i was to put this on top of the present brace at the bottom of the windshield, I think it would be almost impossible to put the screws back in.
Does anybody know how to properly install this support rod. Thanks in advance for any help I can get
Dave

Dwight 06-26-2014 06:15 AM

12 year old thread, great.
I now have 41,000 miles on my car and I think the windshield flexs a lot at speed.

are you talking about the rod that goes in the center of the windshield? Top to bottom?
If so it has a hook on one end and threaded on the other. The hood installs on the top of the windshield in the slot. The threaded end goes thru the plate at the bottom. I removed my windshield to install the plate to the windshield. I think the screws are 4x40.
The holes should be in the windshield frame. Same ones used to mount an L-bracket to hold the windshield to the body.
This rod is used to keep the windshield frame from spreading apart at speed and dropping the glass out.
I hope this helps

Dwight

Dwight 06-26-2014 06:21 AM

here is a thread with pictures.

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-...acket-not.html

davids2toys 06-26-2014 02:56 PM

Thanks Dwight,
Yes, 12 year old thread found in a search for info!
I have seen that thread,. i am trying to install it with the windshield in the car. i have the L bracket at the base of the windshield already on the car. Is it used in conjunction with the L bracket and is it possible to install with the windshield still installed in the car?
Dave

Cashburn 06-26-2014 03:38 PM

Get the bracket FFR uses/sells it does not go into the dash.

davids2toys 06-26-2014 09:09 PM

I wonder what is anchoring it then? Also I already have the two holes in the dash from the present fasteners, I will go their site and check it out.
Well I went to their site and did multiple searches, I cant find it.
Can anybody post a pic of theirs installed? I will have to call them.
Dave

cobrajeff 06-27-2014 03:41 AM

Windshield Tensor

I made my own, patterned after the one in CSX2259. You have to be extremely careful about the length of the mounting screws that go into the windshield frame - 1mm too long, and your windshield is toast.

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...3_m_Large_.jpg http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...457_Large_.JPG

Took several trial and error attempts to get the angle just right for the rake of my laid-back windshield. I had to put slotted holes in the base of the bracket to be able to tighten the lower screws to the windshield frame.

regards,

Jeff