14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2004, 06:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Building a house, buying a BDR 351W/392 Stroker next year.
Send a message via AIM to brs94vette
Not Ranked     
Default Internet Scam

As some of you may know I am selling my 1994 Corvette "Brickyard 400" Convertible. It is listed on Collector Car Trader Online at:

http://www.collectorcartraderonline.....html?76067520

I have had two responses from guys trying to scam me out of Canada. They want to send me a cashier's check (which will be phony) and then have me refund the shipping charges, $7,250, back to them. They get my $7250, and I have a bad check. Please all of you be aware that scams like this exist and never fall for them.
Bruce
Old 12-01-2004, 06:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     
Lightbulb There's always someone wanting to rip you off...

Bruce

They never give up. Must be vigilant..

In Australia we have a telephone scam on the go at the moment.

A guy rings your office or home and tells you he is a telephone technician.

He asks you to perform a very basic telephone check.

All you need to do is press 90# on your touch pad. He tells you all is ok. You hang up.

He know has access to your phone line and makes overseas calls, calls to 1800 lines etc. etc. You pick up his bil for time on your line.

It appears that 90# is a telephone link/reverse charge access capability that technicians can use to get back to their base or check faulty telephone lines.

Some sht has worked this out and is having a ball over here.

Good luck with selling your Vette to a genuine buyer who turns up and drives the Vette and passes over a deposit.

Bernie
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 12-01-2004, 07:13 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #586, 535hp.460
Not Ranked     
Angry Ba@%*&$#!!!

Bruce,
These slugs are everywhere! Scam artists really suck! One of the guys in my office was also selling a car(not as rare or nice as yours), but he was aware of the scam. He responded positively to them, and then kept the faked cashiers check (a fake check from Peoples Bank of Kentucky-which no longer exists). They wanted him to Western Union the excess funds back to them "so they could pay their shipper", so he just ran them over to their Western Union about eight or ten times, then sent them an e-mail saying "SUCKER".
Unfortunately, neither the FBI or Police were interested because they were out of the country.
What a bunch of jerks!
I am glad you didn't get hooked, and I also hope you find the right buyer for your Corvette. It is a beautiful car!
Good Luck!!
John Russell
Old 12-01-2004, 07:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Owned CSX 3121 1969-1975. Went to the dark side and bought a 'Vette. May yet repent and be saved.
Not Ranked     

$7250 in shipping charges? I assume that the car was going to Canada in a chartered, private jet.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to CowtownCobra
Not Ranked     

I recently bought a trailer from someone who sells quite a few of them on the internet. He says he gets those phony offers several times a week, and usually through canadian banks. Don't the canuks have any laws?
Old 12-01-2004, 08:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra, 427SO 2x4's, 630HP/600TQ
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by marcocsx3121

$7250 in shipping charges? I assume that the car was going to Canada in a chartered, private jet.
Echoing my thoughts. I shipped a Cobra from Hawaii to NJ for a grand total of $2450. Price is a "flag" right there on the scam.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT40 #45
Not Ranked     

You could always send them a Bogus bank draft for the remainder!

Scam the Scammers!!!! Let them go to the bank with a Bogus draft!
RCR40 #45 http://www.GT-Forty.com
Old 12-01-2004, 10:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Scams are as old as time. The Internet has just made it a lot easier and faster for them to spread. Now we have the one from the so called world bank going around out here again for about the 3rd time. Just change the wording and try it again and seehohw many people will send their information to the scammers.

I like Randy's suggestion. You could also take the checks and hold the car until the checks clear and the money is absolutely in your account. If you told them that, I doubt if you would hear from them again.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 12-01-2004, 12:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The laws in Canada are very lax. Apparently a lot of scams are run out of Canada for that very reason. There was a piece on TV a few weeks ago about a "lottery" scam run out of Canada. They mostly target elderly people. If we toughen up the laws, and hung up a couple of these guys by their nuts, the scams would diminish. Someone (legitimate) please buy my car so I can order my BDR!!!
Bruce

p.s. I will probably order the car in the next few weeks anyway. A 52nd B-day presant to myself.
B
Old 12-01-2004, 12:52 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Smile

Bruce,

That will be a great birthday present. Welcome to the club and madness. Did you have any problems where you live when they had all of the hurricanes? I think I found a few pieces of Florida property in my back yard.

Ron

Old 12-01-2004, 03:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None yet, saving $ for a Kirkham. Buy a FE from me and I'll be that much closer.
Not Ranked     

I had a low riser dual quad set-up on e-bay just last week abd some creep did the same thing to me. He ended the auction with the "buy it now" and sent me a cashiers check via UPS overnight. Included in the envelope with the check was instructions on where to wire the "excess funds" that were supposed to pay shipping. He sent a check (that was fake, obviously) for $3900 to pay for a $1200 purchase - expecting me to just blindly wire him $1700.00 like it's not big deal. He really tried to pressure me too. When I told him he would have to wait 10 days he kept on sending me sob story e-mails every day for 3 or 4 days. Of course, all I did was shred the fake check and re-list the intake. Tried to rip him in a negative feedback but he had already cancelled that e-bay name.

Jerks..... we were counting on that sale for Christmas funds and there he was trying to rip me off....

Thanks for looking and have a blessed day!
"For whosoever shall call upon the name of the LORD shall be saved."
Romans 10:13
Old 12-01-2004, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 427 Side-Oiler
Not Ranked     

Here is an idiot that tried the scam routine with me

Fiirst e-mail

Message : My client is interested to purchase the following item above the subject,I hope no money is owing on the vehicle, do get back to me if available with the full details, Rego no., engine no., and vehicle ID no. and chassis no. from the vehicle, and what is the bottom asking price and the pictures of the car, I will be wait to hear from you ASAP today.
Have a nice day.

Best regards,

david favours

My reply:

The car is Superformance #126.Details are on the flyer.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

Second e-mail:

Bill ,
Thanks for the mail, my client was glad to see the picture of the car and he would love to have I got the details of the flyer, so what is the bottom asking price of the car.
I wait to hear from you soonest.
Have a nice day.
david

My reply:

$48,000.00

To duplicate my car would cost 56,000.00

Third e-mail:

Bill

My client was glad to see the pics of the car and he has finally accepted your price,he hopes the engine is serviced and oil changed too .He cant wait to see the car parked in his garage.

However,My client made out a certified cashiers check of(55,000) before he travelled to japan on a business trip,for a previous car and its shipment charges etc,but it was unfortunately sold.

The amount on the check he deposited for the car is bigger than what should be paid to you now, so the check is now meant for the total expenses which includes the purchase of your car, the pick up of the car from its present location and the shipping charges/other necessary shipping arrangements.

However he has instructed us to carry on with this transaction. So you're required to deduct the cost of your car (48,000) and send the balance of (7,000) to the shipper via western union money transfer to enable him offsett shipping charges/arrangements,and taxes.
once the transaction is concluded,the shipper will be coming for the pick up of the car from its present location, on an open vehicle and then drive to a pre paid shipper for shipment,and also conclude other necessary shipping arrangements.so you dont have to bother yourself about the pick up and shipping arrangements,while title papers and other necessary documets will be sent by
you via fedex courier to my customer.

Please Confirm this and provide me your name,address and phone
number for check payment to be delivered to you via
fedex courier .
Thanks and God bles
Cheers

My reply:

You'll get the $7,000& car AFTER the cashiers check has cleared my bank.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _

4th e-mail

Bill
How is life treating you over there,hope all good,

Well i just want to inform you that the payment of the car been bought from you has been confirmed and sealed,my client said that i should inform you that the payment package will get to you on or before FRIDAY next week through fedex courier delivery.

Please you are advised to remove your car from the AD you posted it to avoid complications from other buyers.

You should consider your car sold and my client is happy and could not wait to see the car parked in his place
Thanks so much for your update and nice to do business with you .
have nice day.
David

Last e-mail(12-01)

Hello,

Please can i have an update of ou transaction,the agent is waiting to receive the funds in order to proceed for pick up,you kept mute since you received my clients check my client is not happy about this

Remember to send the tansfer details to the agent email
shipment_delivery@fastermail.com

Kindly get back to me with every details needed in this transaction

Thanks
Old 12-03-2004, 10:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here are the emails I got. I am sorry to hear that people fall for this crap.
Bruce

jason gibb wrote:
>
>
> Hey Bruce?
>
> My client have accepted your price $29,000 for the
> vehicle after considering the condiction and our
> interest in the unit.
>
> I have also finalized payment issues on the unit
> with
> my client and we are ready to go ahead with the
> transaction.
>
> I spoke with an agent that work with merlin Limited,
> a shipping Company here in Canada concerning the
> shipment,the charges is $7,250, So the payment will
> get to you in a payment(cashier'sCheck) of $26,,250
> which will also take care of shipment expenses,
> inspection, tax and other charges.
>
> Due to the company's shipping policy and for record
> purposes, they only allow payment through wire
> transfer So you are required to deduct the cost of
> your vehicle $29,000 when payment gets to you and
> send a refund of $7,250 to the agent of merlin
> limited
> through western union wire transfer or money GRAM
> international the shipper agent who will be coming
> for
> pickup close to the location of your address.
>
> After payment has reached you and balance sent to
> the
> agent, the agent will come and pickup the vehicle ,
> while you send the receipt and other title papers to
> our client via courier.
>
> Kindly forward to us your payment information
> (1)name
> (2) address (3) phone number for payment to be sent
> to you, we could send the check to you through fedex
> courier immediately. Make sure that the address is
> correct to avoid the fund entering in any wrong
> hand.
> We will give you a call but that should be when the
> shippers must have started coming for the pick up
> for
> you to direct them on how they are going to reach
> you.
>
> Thanks;
> Jason.
> 18 South Albion Street
> Amherst, B4H 2W3 Canada.
>

Other email, different person, same address in Canada. Good luck trying to persue a legal action over International borders.

Hello Bruce,

My client have accepted your price $28,500 for the vehicle after considering the condiction and our interest in the unit.
I have also finalized payment issues on the unit with my client and we are ready to go ahead with the transaction.

I spoke with an agent that work with merlin Limited, a shipping Company here in Canada concerning the shipment,the charges is $7,230, So the payment will
get to you in a payment(cashier'sCheck) of $35,730 which will also take care of shipment expenses, inspection, tax and other charges.

Due to the company's shipping policy and for record purposes, they only allow payment through wire transfer So you are required to deduct the cost of
your vehicle $28,500 when payment gets to you and send a refund of $7,230 to the agent of the merlin limited through western union wire transfer or money GRAM international the shipper agent who will be coming for
pickup close to the location of your address.

After payment has reached you, and balance sent to the agent, the agent will come and pickup the vehicle, while you send the receipt and other title papers to our client via courier.

Kindly forward to us your payment information (1)name (2) address (3) phone number for payment to be sent to you, we could send the check to you through fedex courier immediately. Make sure that the address is correct to avoid the fund entering in any wrong hand. We will give you a call but that should be when the
shippers must have started coming for the pick up for you to direct them on how they are going to reach you.

Thanks;
Jeff
18 South Albion Street
Amherst, B4H 2W3 Canada.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Question

Bruce,

That guy's e-mail and the way he speaks, (writes), sounds exactly like one a friend of mine got when he was selling his Mustang. But that one was in Nigeria after it was traced down. Sad thing is, some people do fall for that stuff and just one doing it makes their month.

Here is his e-mail:

Hi, I am agent for friend wanting your car. Can have all numbers to check and what is lowest price will you take. Friend will send moneys to me, I will send to your account once you send account numbers so can do this. Had a name but it was phony so I won't bother to add it.

Ron