28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2006, 06:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, FRP460 Big Block
Not Ranked     
Default Ethanol...ruining cars' fuel systems?

In the last 2 weeks, at least 5 cars have come in to the shop where I was working on my GT with various fuel problems, a C3 Jag, with a leaking fuel tank, a Porche, a Lambo, 2 MGBs. clogged filters, shot fuel pumps, disintegrating plastic pieces in injection systems, tanks leaking at epoxied seams...
My friend Joe, the shop owner, has attributed all this to the Ethanol in fuel. Perhaps more was added to the formulation this past winter?
What can we do to prevent or counteract the ill effects in our Cobras?

Comments?

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'94 35th Anniversary Rover Mini Cooper 32mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg
Old 04-26-2006, 06:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Because we will soon start using ethanol in my area for the first time, I asked a similar question over on the Corvette Forum a few weeks ago. The consensus reply was to look out for two problems. First, the ethanol will clean all the deposits out of old fuel tanks and lines, so fuel filters will routinely clog up until all the deposits are removed. Second, some thinner rubber pieces such as those in some mechanical fuel pumps, will give out. Going to higher quality pieces seems to be solution. ... Those who have been living with ethanol laced fuel for a while say it is no problem after the transition issues are solved. .... I have no personal experience with ethanol. The opinions expressed above are a summary of those expressed by others.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 04-26-2006, 07:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: shellvalley 428 ford
Not Ranked     

I use 10% ethanol blend in F150 4x4 ALL of the time unless I am on the road and can't get it. It is a 2001 with 65000 miles. No issue at all, ever. I have started using it in my wifes Explorer, 2002 and 27000 miles, no issue. I do not use it in my SVT Mustang or my Cobra as they require higher octane. I have been a prop[onet of ethanol for over 30 years. But I have never used it in anything other than a Ford product. I like it a lot as the engine seems to run easier and smoother.
Byron
Old 04-26-2006, 07:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via AIM to mj_duell
Not Ranked     

For those of you running street gas and fuel cells, it would be a good idea to take the foam out of the cell. Ethanol will slowly break down standard foam and clog the fuel system. There are new foam blocks available that do not have this problem. Foam will break down all by it's self anyway so, it is a good idea to replace the foam every 3-4 years anyway. Just an FYI

--Mike / Turn Ten Racing, Inc.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:18 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SUPERFORMANCE w DOUG MEYER ENGINE
Not Ranked     

The sight plugs (acrylic) on my buddy's car and my car MELTED off the carbs the other day. We were really pissed. The cars could have burned to the ground! Must have been something in the fuel.
I am driving along...........smelled some gas............got out to look and the plugs are ooooozing like goo off the carb, leaking.
Get the brass plugs asap
JB
Old 04-26-2006, 08:38 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

there are a number of items that should be checked.

1. rubber gaskets should be upgraded to something that will work with ethanol.
2. plastics used for floats in carbs needs to be upgraded or changed to brass.
3. fuel lines NOT rated for ethanol will need to be changed as the lining will peel apart ( This one was hard for me to believe ).
4. Fuel tank gaskets not rated for ethanol will leak.
5. fuel delivery systems may have a small problem with maintaining pressure.

I hadn't heard of the plugs in the holleys melting, but I think I will be switching back to the brass ones.

Old 05-04-2006, 06:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 427R-095, Pro Systems carb, 2" headers, Buckshot Racefab side pipes, 10s off idle start
Not Ranked     

It takes more energy to make ethanol than the energy it produces. Do a search on the net. It's pretty funny.

I was reading another funny article which illustrated if our cars all ran on 90% ethanol the entire US would need to be covered with corn fields to support the ethanol used. We'd have nowhere to live. Worse yet they would need to import oil to make the ethanol. LOL

Here's on article
http://healthandenergy.com/ethanol.htm
Old 07-14-2006, 11:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 w/496 Side Oiler, roller, dual quads
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg schroeder
It takes more energy to make ethanol than the energy it produces. Do a search on the net. It's pretty funny.

I was reading another funny article which illustrated if our cars all ran on 90% ethanol the entire US would need to be covered with corn fields to support the ethanol used. We'd have nowhere to live. Worse yet they would need to import oil to make the ethanol. LOL

Here's on article
http://healthandenergy.com/ethanol.htm
While ethanol isn't a cure-all for our energy woes, I believe if you read the entire article referenced, they take in the entire costs of raising the corn, running the tractors, buying the tractors, etc. While at first this seems appropriate, ethanol isn't the only thing they get from the corn, nor is it the only thing the tractors are used for. There is a mash left from ethanol production that is fed to cattle, among other things. Isn't it fair for the costs involved in raising the corn to be applied to everything the corn is used for and not just the ethanol? That being said, there are other crops that will produce more ethanol per dollar spent in the future such as switchgrass and sugar cane, but aren't yet ready for production. Be patient, it's just a start.
My 2 cents...

Dan
Old 07-15-2006, 01:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I just lost half of another clear float sight plug; I'm assuming it's due to the ethanol again. I have to overhaul that float bowl and re-install brass plugs.

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg
Old 07-15-2006, 02:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra-less
Not Ranked     

Referencing the site plugs in Holleys, there was a notice in my box to install them only to make adjustments, then remove them.

Referencing the Ethanol, If we had continued to develop it after the 70's mess, we probably would not have the situation we have now. The farmers can grow as much corn, etc as we need rather than pay them to not grow it. It is going to happen so be prepared. They are talking $4.00 gasoline by end of summer.....
Old 07-15-2006, 03:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates,SBF 357
Not Ranked     

I have been been burning ethanol blend gas for over 20 years and have had no ill effects from it. My 1999 pickup has 104,000 miles and has always used ethanol blend.I burn premium in the cobra.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Bare Aluminum pre-Kirkham CSX4000 427 Stroker by Southern Automotive.
Not Ranked     

The Cornell study has been pretty much discredited as "flawed" in its data and its conclusions. Obviously, the opposing studies with more accurate data and more realistic conclusions do not make for sensational headlines. I will admit I am biased, but ethanol is part of the solution to dependance on foreign oil. Soy diesel is another good product. I use both E-85 and 11% soy diesel. E-85 is $2.59/gal while 10% ethanol regular gas is around $3.05/gal currently in my area of Illinois. We have one of the highest highway/state tax rates in the country, so it is always cheaper to "cross the border" to buy fuel.

In the 70's I remember my parents having to take their Chrysler cars in for service to have the composition carb floats changed out for brass. The original floats turned into sponges!

Obviously, "Big Oil" hates ethanol and only a few independent stations carry it. There are substantial monetary incentives for stations willing to put in E-85 pumps,

The raw materials for ethanol are relatively cheap and renewable. Given the demand and price incentive, production can be greatly increased. We'll be glad to do our part!

Fast Farmer
Old 07-16-2006, 03:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MKIII #887, drive it a lot!
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Kellogg
Not Ranked     

Ray,
What brand fuel and octane are you running? At this point, there seems to be quite a difference in ethanol blends available at the pump up here in the northeast.

I work at a Toyota dealership, and Toyota doesn't recomend using E85 on THEIR vehicles at this time due to corrosion issues.... They do use different fuel system components for vehicles produced in say, Brazil, where sugar cane based Ethanol fuel is in wide use. The biggest difference on the vehicles produced for Ethanol use is the "rubber" pieces, as stated above.

Jim Kellogg
Breesport, NY
Old 09-03-2006, 07:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default ethanol

Something of note with this fuel is its corrosive property. It's used to bring blended 83 octane blended fuel up to spec since it has such a high octane rating, but it is hard on a fuel system not designed to run it. Certainly E85.
(I'm a chief blender for a refinery here)
Steve
Old 09-03-2006, 09:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: kirkham 427sc,aluminum 427 fe ,twm inj.
Not Ranked     

there are additives for the fuel that i use in my sprintcar called fuelube we have very little side effects from the alky. jim
Old 09-07-2006, 04:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim, I didn't see your post so sorry for the late reply.

I use mainly 93 Sunoco, and when I'm in the vicinity of the Hicksville area, I spike it with some Sunoco 110 racing fuel.

I saw that service bulletin from Holley about the sight plugs. I've since installed stock brass ones.

I also just replaced the fuel filter at 4000 miles. Too soon but I started stalling at anything over 3000rpm in 5th one day! I thought it was fuel float level but turned out to be the filter. Ethanol in the fuel must have had something to do with the gunk.

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg

Last edited by JCoop; 09-10-2006 at 05:35 AM..
Old 09-07-2006, 05:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Mk III / Windsor platform
Not Ranked     

I had the sight plugs melt, the epoxy that holds the weight to my road race float melt, and my fuel filter fill up with crap. All at pretty much the same time! My carb builder says he has been seeing way to many carbs lately with these problems. Ethanol is the suspected culprit.
Your mileage may vary.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:32 PM
Regularly Offensive
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf
Not Ranked     

Maybe we can blame it on the terriosts.........the government will ban it then.

Too close for missles, switching to guns.........