Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Consumer Watch (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/consumer-watch/)
-   -   miata into cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/consumer-watch/69990-miata-into-cobra.html)

dholmstrom 06-01-2006 10:35 AM

miata into cobra

I am Looking to transform my miata into a 427 Cobra. I'm having trouble finding a kit for that.If anyone knows about how much it would cost and where to get it. Also if it is just a dumb idea?

onefastmustang 06-01-2006 10:38 AM

Did you look at this one..

http://www.cobracountry.com/monster/home.html

I tried to talk my neighbor into doing it with his miata.. he wouldn't hear of it..

:cool:

dholmstrom 06-01-2006 10:56 AM

I looked into that place but its not close to the 427 cobra and that want 10000 for the kit

xlr8or 06-01-2006 11:00 AM

Just leave the Miata in it's stock appearance and put a 5.0 Mustang engine and trans in it. If you want a Cobra buy/build a Cobra.

JBCOBRA 06-01-2006 11:02 AM

You may as well just bite the bullet....................and get a Cobra.

onefastmustang 06-01-2006 11:07 AM

I know a guy with a cobra that has a VW engine in it if you want something really unique..

jams 06-01-2006 11:11 AM

A body doesn't make a cobra! It's what is under the cobra body that counts!!!!!

onefastmustang 06-01-2006 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jams
A body doesn't make a cobra! It's what is under the cobra body that counts!!!!!

Funny

Thats what I keep telling my wife too..

WV66AC 06-01-2006 04:36 PM

I wondered why so many people gag when they see the 454.

*13* 06-01-2006 04:48 PM

Miata? Cobra? Were those two in the same sentence?:D But really? $10000 for the kit? YOu'll be miles ahead if you go with a FFR or similar kit for not much more

mrmustang 06-01-2006 05:06 PM

I own a Miata and a Cobra, two completely different automobiles....Quite simply stated, you cannot make your Miata into a Cobra, nor your cobra into a Miata. Sure you can dress a turd up, but underneath the exterior, it is still a turd.

Bill S.

trs900 06-01-2006 05:14 PM

mrmustang I resent the turd word, maybe a small fart but seriously a turd...??? wait till my wife sees what you called her car.

mrmustang 06-01-2006 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trs900
mrmustang I resent the turd word, maybe a small fart but seriously a turd...??? wait till my wife sees what you called her car.

Cobra replica=FPSB
Miata=FASB

Since I own both, I guess I am qualified to pass judgement on them both :LOL:

G1947 06-04-2006 01:06 AM

5.0 Engine in Miata

Quote:

Originally Posted by xlr8or
Just leave the Miata in it's stock appearance and put a 5.0 Mustang engine and trans in it. If you want a Cobra buy/build a Cobra.

Seriously, will it fit?? My wife has a 1999 model (called Mazda MX5 here in Oz)
and I have a 5.0L HO Engine from a 1989 Mustang which I was going to use in my Cobra, but now can not due to changes in registration rules here. (Looks like the Cobra will now get an LS1.)
Any web sites on who has done this conversion on the Miata???

Regards
Garry

John S Peterson 06-04-2006 02:45 AM

I've seen a very nice conversion of a Miata using late model mustang running gear several years ago. It was a professional job done by a company I believe in Arizona, the only problem was the person was trying to register it in California. It was considered a completed vehicle from a small vehicle manufacturer forcing it to go through ARB fuel lab test and all safety tests. The car was very very well done......guy couldn't get out of there fast enough, I guess he thought if the ink wasn't dry he might get his money back....

Dwight 06-04-2006 06:10 AM

Miata site

here is a link to the miata site. Dwight

http://www.miataforum.com/cgi-bin/ul...34;t=000409;p=

John S Peterson 06-04-2006 08:45 AM

Was just looking at an old Kit Car mag and saw an article for a kit called
M1Stang where you use a Miata and rebody with a 65/66 Mustang type roadster body. It's was built at a place called M1Stang Enterprises, don't know if they are still in business but the web site is www.m1stang.com. It's called the the two-seater Mustang that Ford never built!!!!

JB34 06-04-2006 09:27 AM

I have a very old, first generation FFR and use it on the street and on the local tracks here in AZ. One of the guys in our club (Pro Auto Sports) drives a V8 powered Miata with 400hp. While it is much faster than an other Miatas on the track, it can't run with Cobras or Corvettes. Problem is the little tires can't hook up. Additional weight really screws up the handling too. My car is close to 400 HP and I can take him pretty much anywhere on the track, be it straights, brake zone or in the corners.

If you want to have a cobra...get a cobra. If you really want a fast Miata, put a supercharger on it. (My dad did that with his 99 and it is a real hoot to drive) If you still insist on a V8, there is a company in San Diego that can help you. Check this out. www.monstermiata.com