Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Contemporary Classic Forums (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/contemporary-classic-forums/)
-   -   A question about Tie Rods (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/contemporary-classic-forums/108387-question-about-tie-rods.html)

Danr55 01-03-2011 02:02 PM

A question about Tie Rods

Has anyone ever had one break? I had one break while making a left hand turn on Sunday. It simply snapped right behind the ball that hooks up to the steering rack. I've never heard of anything like it. Has anyone else?

rustyBob 01-03-2011 02:07 PM

I have seen the ball come out of the socket and i have seen them bend until they break but never had one just break into 2 piececs before....i think Speedway sells a heavy duty version of the Mustang 2 tie rods....if thats what you have...

dave from mesa 01-03-2011 03:26 PM

He should have said that it is a Jag front end.

rustyBob 01-03-2011 03:31 PM

i guess that would make a difference...........

racco 01-03-2011 06:31 PM

tie rod

Did you know that the tie rods are welded together on a ccx. If you look in the assmbly manual it will explain it all.

mickmate 01-03-2011 06:55 PM

They were narrowed for CCX's as Racco said and welded back together. I have replaced some steering shafts that were also shortened and welded back together. Boy did they look scarey. Good point Dan I hope our CCX boys look them items over real good as some builders did some questionable work on them.

Danr55 01-07-2011 04:32 PM

I received the new Jag tie rod today and it is much beefier than the old one. I notice, however that it is undercut immediately behind the ball. I guess that's for clearance, but that is exactly where the old one broke.

Danr55 01-08-2011 10:04 AM

I also just found out that the Jag tie rod is about 1 1/2 inches shorter than the CCX tie rod. Anyone out there have any suggestions?

Karl Bebout 01-08-2011 10:24 AM

Find a good welder....not me.

MOTORHEAD 01-08-2011 10:46 AM

Dan : there are extensions out there, basically a short section of hex material with female threads and male on the opposite end. I think their on my Kirkham rack (MG Rack). of course you'd need to find some the right size and thread, Shouldn't be to hard to fab up at a local mach shop.
Ted

Danr55 01-08-2011 10:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Check this out. You can see where the original has been cut and had a section welded in.

mickmate 01-08-2011 01:06 PM

Reminds me of the Ghostbusters song "who ya gonna call" ;-)

Danr55 01-11-2011 04:57 PM

Who ya gonna call? Mickmate.. if you find those other two tie rods, I'll buy those also just so I have some. THanks Nick.

Danr55 03-01-2011 03:47 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Well, the story continues. I got some new tie rods and got them to Nick to lengthen.. they fit fine by the way, Nick.. So I took off the one that didn't break, just as a safety measure. Check out the photos.. It didn't have long left. I don't know if it's something specific to my car or the way I drive, but this is scary. If I had a Contemporary with about 30K miles on it, I'd be checking the tie rods out carefully..

The worn spot is clearly visible. This thing could fail at any minute.

azfordman 03-01-2011 04:25 PM

Dan, aside from obvious cracking, what am I looking for? Looking at photo #1, are you saying the tiny ding at the bottom of the ball would cause it to snap off? I have not looked at mine yet, just trying to get a grasp on what I should be looking for. Have you found this to be a common problem with CCX's in general, or only an isolated incident with your car?

Danr55 03-01-2011 06:28 PM

Mark, I don't know about anyone elses car. I just know about my car. The tie rod that broke and the tie rod that almost broke. Given the potential for a catastrophic failure, I'd at least check it out.

mickmate 03-02-2011 08:44 AM

Hey Dan, it looks like the steering is turning further than the joint can handle and bottoming out. That indent sure would propogate a crack right where the section is narrowest. I wonder if the CCX is missing a steering stop that was on the frame of the E types?

azfordman 03-02-2011 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickmate (Post 1100309)
Good point Dan I hope our CCX boys look them items over real good as some builders did some questionable work on them.

Nick, perhaps you can explain what we should be looking for........

Danr55 03-02-2011 11:59 AM

Mark, The small "ding" that you see in the photo is a section of the forging that has blown off the tie rod. That is generally a sign that the material has been stressed. It's not worn or broken, but the metal has compressed and a piece has litterally exploded in a small area. The way the steering is designed, I don't thing oversteering is an issue. The balls are on the inboard end of the tie rods. It the car oversteered, the pressure would be on the outboard end of the tie rod. So I can't say for sure what's going on. I've asked a NDT guy at work to have a look and I'll be interested to see what he says.

mickmate 03-03-2011 12:47 PM

That's Non Destructive Testing for guys that don't work in the engineering field.