Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Contemporary Classic Forums

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2009, 08:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Superformance w/392 stroker
Not Ranked     
Default Does this look like a Contemporary Classic to you?

Came across this advert on Kijiji Canada, for what the seller claims is a turnkey Contemporary Classic Cobra -- http://london.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehic...AdIdZ130214181.

I gotta say, it doesn't look legit to me. Does this look like a real CCX to you guys?

The advert says the chassis number is CSX3031, which is impossible of course. I asked him to clarify and he said it is CCX-3-3031, but that seems too low a number (weren't the earliest cars identified by frame date?).

Can you guys imagine Contemporary mounting the wind wings upside down on a turnkey build? Did they ever build a car with such a tall (FFR-type) roll bar?

These inconsistencies and the zany ad language make me think this guy's a flake...
Old 07-03-2009, 08:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

Looks about right to me, but hard to tell from a couple pics without a shot of the chassis, engine bay, and/or CCX plate.
Anyone can add a taller roll bar, but the upside down wind wings is really not a mistake you would expect on a turn key factory car.

Bob
Old 07-03-2009, 09:16 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #698 428 Toploader
Not Ranked     

The windwings could have been removed several times over the years and put on wrong. I doubt the factory did it.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to Rolling Thunder
Not Ranked     

The side pipes are low and close to the body which is correct, however f it were a factory build I would expect the stripes to be tapered down the nose. Three Pekas is correct, w/o pics of the frame and/or engine bay it'w hard to say for sure.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR: 302 w/aluminum heads, Edlebrock injection. Street car trim, no scoop, side pipes or rollbar.
Send a message via AIM to Maricopa
Not Ranked     

The rear fenders don't look like a Contemporary (although the fronts do) and I didn't think they had the 'bumps' under the front turn signals. Looks more like a E-M.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maricopa View Post
The rear fenders don't look like a Contemporary (although the fronts do) and I didn't think they had the 'bumps' under the front turn signals. Looks more like a E-M.
CCX's DO have the bumps under thr front turn lights. It looks like a CCX to me, although the roll bar is a bit tall and goofy looking....Need more pics to be sure.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR: 302 w/aluminum heads, Edlebrock injection. Street car trim, no scoop, side pipes or rollbar.
Not Ranked     

But I thought they were 'perfect' replicas, splashed from an original?
Old 07-04-2009, 07:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic Motor Car; 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

Looks authentic except for the elongated roll bar and the inverted wind wings. ID no. sounds correct. Mine was built in '89 (CCX3-3417). This may be an earlier build. A good look at the engine bay, placement of master cylinder, radiator placement, internal supports, etc. will help in making any determination.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:26 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Maricpa,
Be nice, we don't need to start throwing rocks.
FFR, CCX, ERA, UM took a few liberties in all their body process.

Brian,
Hard to tell from pics but may be one? The ass end on all make cars look wierd if jacked up. Once the front is raised, too low, and the ass end dropped it would look different.

To be sure it is a CCX you would need to look at undercarriage and determine front suspension type, ie Jaguar, and be sure the rear is a IRS Jag. There is alot of missing ally in the front hoop and with the car so jacked up I would question the build. If it has tubular steel seats that would also help?

Jeff
Old 07-04-2009, 09:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

hey sundude,
i sent you an email in regards to a cobra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDude View Post
Came across this advert on Kijiji Canada, for what the seller claims is a turnkey Contemporary Classic Cobra -- http://london.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehic...AdIdZ130214181.

I gotta say, it doesn't look legit to me. Does this look like a real CCX to you guys?

The advert says the chassis number is CSX3031, which is impossible of course. I asked him to clarify and he said it is CCX-3-3031, but that seems too low a number (weren't the earliest cars identified by frame date?).

Can you guys imagine Contemporary mounting the wind wings upside down on a turnkey build? Did they ever build a car with such a tall (FFR-type) roll bar?

These inconsistencies and the zany ad language make me think this guy's a flake...
Old 07-04-2009, 10:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Maricpa,
Be nice, we don't need to start throwing rocks.
FFR, CCX, ERA, UM took a few liberties in all their body process.

Oh come on, you know I was kidding. I have a buddy with one and it really does look different than the one in the picture.
Another thing to look for with a Contemporary is the upside down door latch.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:26 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Nice observation......
Old 07-07-2009, 10:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Another thing to look for with a Contemporary is the upside down door latch.
Uh, not on mine (took lots of effort and $ to get that one done, though)....
Old 07-07-2009, 11:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Uh, not on mine (took lots of effort and $ to get that one done, though)....

I'm feeling ya there. Had to 'fix' the trunk hinges, hood, body edges and drop the butt on my FFR to get it looking sort of like a C****.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I'm feeling ya there. Had to 'fix' the trunk hinges, hood, body edges and drop the butt on my FFR to get it looking sort of like a C****.
Is that the green one in your gallery? Looks like a really nice job.....Turning the latches right sode up required lots of grinding and fabrication to get it done right, but it came out sweet.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yeah that's my POS. Thanks!
I think Unique flips the latches too. They probably work better that way.