Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Contemporary Classic Forums

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2023, 04:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CCX 427 Side Oiler
Not Ranked     
Default 427 Contemporary Cobra - Charging Issue

First-time post here...

'66 427 Side Oiler Contemporary Classic (CCX34026) - Registered as a 99

I can't seem to find the root cause of a charging issue, and looking for pointers on where I might want to start.

The original alternator was bad from purchase(tested at a local Auto-Zone) -
I purchased a new Powermaster 150 AMP, and swapped it out.

Gauges now show it charging. But when I throw the battery tender on, it's showing a 60% capacity after about a 30-minute drive. Drops to about 30% after an hour's drive. I'm worried it'll die on the road.

No documentation is available from the original build, so looking for any pointers on where I should start chasing this gremlin at. Fuses look fine, and I have no idea if this car has ever had a fully charging system or not.

I'm pretty mechanical, and good with my hands, but I'm not too proud to admit when I don't know something. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Trying to avoid taking it to a pro, if it's something reasonably straightforward.

I don't have access to a lift, which seems to be my most consistent issue with the car. I can't seem to get under it to access everything.

Last edited by TheBDP; 07-21-2023 at 04:37 PM..
Old 07-21-2023, 06:32 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBDP View Post
First-time post here...

'66 427 Side Oiler Contemporary Classic (CCX34026) - Registered as a 99

I can't seem to find the root cause of a charging issue, and looking for pointers on where I might want to start.

The original alternator was bad from purchase(tested at a local Auto-Zone) -
I purchased a new Powermaster 150 AMP, and swapped it out.

Gauges now show it charging. But when I throw the battery tender on, it's showing a 60% capacity after about a 30-minute drive. Drops to about 30% after an hour's drive. I'm worried it'll die on the road.

No documentation is available from the original build, so looking for any pointers on where I should start chasing this gremlin at. Fuses look fine, and I have no idea if this car has ever had a fully charging system or not.

I'm pretty mechanical, and good with my hands, but I'm not too proud to admit when I don't know something. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Trying to avoid taking it to a pro, if it's something reasonably straightforward.

I don't have access to a lift, which seems to be my most consistent issue with the car. I can't seem to get under it to access everything.
How old is the battery?

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 07-21-2023, 06:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Here's what I expect to see if everything is working correctly.
  • All electricals and engine off, 12.8 volts at the battery
  • Engine on at idle, 12.8-13 volts at the battery
  • Engine on at 1500 RPM or higher with no accessories on, shortly after engine start 13.5-14.5 volts at the battery
  • Engine on for more than ten minutes with no high draw accessories, 13-14 volts at the battery

If you don't see numbers very similar to these it is likely a problem with the battery, alternator or voltage regulator (if you have one separate from the alternator). The first thing I'd do is fully charge the battery on a charger and check it (with nothing attached to it) after a few hours. If its less than 12.8 volts, that's likely the problem. . . . If the battery tests good but the other voltages are low, its likely the charging system.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor

Last edited by Tommy; 07-22-2023 at 03:37 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old 07-21-2023, 08:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CCX 427 Side Oiler
Not Ranked     

The battery is only a year old, but it's showing 11.9, and max capacity of 30% on the charger after 3 hours of charging. I'll swap this out in the morning and see if this is the culprit.

Appreciate the quick reply guys. Hopefully, this is it!
Old 07-22-2023, 03:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

If the battery is the problem, be sure to look for a reason it failed so soon. For example, it might have been overcharged or it might have gotten too hot.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 07-22-2023, 05:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

11.9 volts on a battery that you’ve attempted to charge is not good. You should see at least 12.4 to 12.8 volts. I think that battery has issues. But there could be other issues too with the voltage regulator or alternator.
Old 07-22-2023, 07:45 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
If the battery is the problem, be sure to look for a reason it failed so soon. For example, it might have been overcharged or it might have gotten too hot.
This AM I was thinking perhaps a bad voltage regulator, which could also cause the battery to overcharge, thus creating the issues the OP is having.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 07-22-2023, 08:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Start the car and measure the voltage across the battery. If the alternator is charging, the voltage will read higher than what the battery reads with the car not running. Either it is charging or it isn't. That will eliminate the alternator. report back once you do this.
Old 07-22-2023, 02:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic Cobra CCX-3-3967
Not Ranked     

I also had an issue with the voltage regulator when I tried installing the original style voltage regulator and I wound up switching to a solid state voltage regulator that looked similar. If you need the wiring diagram I can email you the manual and my wiring notes.
My dash charge indicator light goes out when it is properly charging.

mvanhorn8893@gmail.com

Mike
Old 07-23-2023, 08:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 Ford Racing Crate w/ TREMEC TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Cool

So the first thing i noticed is youre quoting the 11.9 V reading from your battery tender volt meter. Have you used a dvom across the bat terminals to check the battery no load ( key off) voltage ? Same 11.9v result? Dash volt gauge the same? Just to validate your tender reading.
Forget about the battery tender for the moment. As others have said, a good battery should be 12.4-12.8V depending on its health with no load on it. Starting up the engine using the same dvom on the battery will read a higher voltage at engine idle. How much higher will depend on the voltage regulator setting or type and the alternator health. Generally the charging voltage at the battery should be above 13.5V and can be as high as 14.0 V ‘ish depending again on the voltage regulator and or alternator health. My voltage regulator on my Ford 3G alt is set at 14.5V. You should also check the battery voltage with engine off with the battery loaded and measure the voltage at battery again. Key on and headlights on are a good load test with battery still in car. The engine cranking voltage is the best test. Under load will tell the real story on battery health. You should see loaded voltage about 11-12V. I re-learned this last weekend.
My no load voltage at battery was 12.6V yet when I turned the key, nothing worked, as if the main fuse was blown. I started checking down stream of the battery the first 30 minutes , wasting time!. Then I went back to the battery to measure voltage with about 6 amps load ( key on) at the battery, and discovered the voltage was 2.0V. Loading testing revealed the issue. The battery was dead as a door nail. It was 8.5 years old and owed me nothing.

Last edited by kitcarbp; 07-23-2023 at 08:56 AM..

Tags
alternator, charging