Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-19-2011, 01:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Shell Valley v. FF5

Both companies and designs have their merits. I haven't seen either one of these in person, and from looking over the literature I perceive the following and would be interested in anyone else's comments:

SV - more expensive
SV - less time to completion since some assy is done
SV - includes rear axle

FF5 - race chasis
FF5 - less expensive
FF5 - 3 point suspension is better than the 4 point SV
FF5 - IRS is less money
FF5 - glass hatch is better than the old plexiglass
Old 06-19-2011, 03:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR
Not Ranked     

You might want to evaluate them by personaly looking at each, everyone has their own requirements and opinions. Both are very different packages in my opinion. I have looked at both at the same time at Carlisle. FFR was actualy my first option when I first started looking about 10 years ago, then I saw a Superformance in person and they were night and day comparisons.

Now I have a BDR, so as you can see the climate for comparisons and packages is quite diverse. Explore as many manufactures as you can and you will know which one is right for you when you see it.

One other suggestion might be Unique, they offer a nice pallet option.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Neutral     

The Shell Valley car is very nice....I've owned one. I haven't seen a new FFR in person, but the body is more original appearing than the previous FFR body. The solid axle 9" is pretty much indestructible and they also offer an 8.8 IRS version now, which would be really nice.

There's also something to be said about dealing with a smaller, low-volume company. Dana and the guys at SVC will take excellent care of you. I'm not saying that you'll get shunned by the FFR guys, but there is more of a personal, down-home feel to the SVC company. They will also work with you on custom parts/features that you want. Speaking from experience in being both a customer and a business owner, you seem to get more from the smaller guys.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

With his OP in Coupe Talk, I would think he is looking for advice on each mfg's coupe product...not roadsters.

I'm guessing...
Old 06-19-2011, 04:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Whoops......

Yeah, I see the "glass hatch" now.

My thoughts on customer service still apply though.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
Whoops......

Yeah, I see the "glass hatch" now.

My thoughts on customer service still apply though.
My thought's exactly. There are many cobra mfrs to choose from, but the coupe has very limited options. I'm sure the comparison between FF5 and SV are similar for the cobra. I do agree, it's a matter of what one is looking for. At this point, I'm still trying to figure that part out. So any feedback comparing the 2 would be very helpful.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerworks View Post
With his OP in Coupe Talk, I would think he is looking for advice on each mfg's coupe product...not roadsters.

I'm guessing...
DOH!!! So much for taking the easy route and just clicking on new posts not the looking at the forum they are in.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA #690, FRPP 427 Boss engine
Not Ranked     

I built an FFR coupe in 2004. This after bulding several other kits including a Classic Roadsters Sebring MX, Outlaw Performance '41 Willys Coupe, and Performance Engineering GT250 (Ferrari California). I absolutely loved it and regretted selling it. I was also in an accident with it where a kid in a Honda ran a red light and I hit him in the right front fender just behind the wheel at 30 mph. My coupe needed a new front clip, windshield, radiator, and all the little 1x1 tubes forward of the main 4" round frame tubes that support the radiator and nose hinges. My wife and I were wearing our harnesses and were fine. The Honda was totalled. I had no frame or structural damage at all. That kind of engineering has me sold on FFR. Here are some pictures before, accident, rebuilt:

Kirkham #690 289 FIA
Old 06-20-2011, 09:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

I'v taken a close look at both, finished and unfinished. They're both fine products, and you won't go wrong with either one of them. But, I would give the nod to the FFR.

You might get better customer support from SVC. But you'll definatly get a lot more aftermarket, third party, and fellow builder support with the FFR.

The FFR has a stronger lighter chassis, and you'll end up with a stronger lighter car. But, both cars do have an excellent chassis. Unless you plan on a lot of actual racing, where every 0.5 sec counts, it's probably a wash.

The FFR is slightly cheaper, as you said. But it's a small amount. Although a point to ponder, I wouldn't make that the deal breaker.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto