10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 05-26-2006, 07:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX-34201
Not Ranked     
Default Your Opinion on Superperformance Coupe as an Investment?

Do you think that the Coupes will appreciate in Value since there will be only 100 made? (knowing that they might change somethings on future coupes)

What do you think a finished Superperformance Coupe should be valued at?

Thanks for your opinions!!!
Old 05-26-2006, 08:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The Brock Coupe is a great quality car but it is not an investment.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1852, 392 Roush
Not Ranked     

I agree, the Coupe will be a wonderful car to own and drive, but as an investment, look at the bond market instead.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: -Sold- Contemporary 427S/C # CCX-3152 1966 427 Med Rise Side Oiler, 8v 3.54:1 Salisbury IRS, Koni's.. (Now I'm riding Harleys)
Not Ranked     

No. Don't look for a Cobra or Coupe as an investment enless it's an investment in yourself. Anything with a Shelby badge will hold it's value otherwise stay in the market or real estate.

A man that is young in years, may be old in hours, if he have lost no time. But that happeneth rarely. Generally, youth is like the first cogitations, not so wise as the second. For there is a youth in thoughts, as well as in ages... Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
Old 05-26-2006, 08:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Mk III / Windsor platform
Not Ranked     

The return on your investment in any Cobra/Coupe replica is realized every time you drive it. If you want your money to appreciate put it somewhere else.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So you think that it will depreciate over a few years or be closer to even money if you pay 80-90k for a new Daytona coupe finished? Seems like Superperformance Cobras are all bringing in the same money when resold around 45-59k. Haven't seen any in the 30's especially if they have higher hp. And Kirkhams running in the 80-100k range with stainless chasis.

Have you seen any sweet Daytonas up for sale on here lately or anywhere else? and what prices used or new?
Old 05-26-2006, 09:17 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Only building a 100? I don't think so. Whats really happening is their are some significant engineering changes coming to the next 100. Like a "Mark 1" and now a "Mark II" sort of thing.

NO investment opportunity here, nothing to see, move along folks...

SPF's in the 45 to 50K range no doubt cost MORE than that to build\buy in the first place. Their selling at a loss. Same thing for Kirkhams, you can drop a $100K in a hurry building one. Having a good re-sale value and recapturing most of your money is not exactly my definition of 'investment'.

Last edited by Excaliber; 05-26-2006 at 09:22 AM..
Old 05-26-2006, 09:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

But... why would i care if they are changing some things if it is already competing with the top cars in the world? And only 100 will be built until they make changes... so that means only 100 would have been built to those specifications. And who knows what they'll price the new ones out at... maybe start near 100k.

Nobody has dropped an opinion on what would be a good price for a Daytona Coupe... any one remember coming across some.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:51 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

$87,293 tops! Some of the early ones, when they were 'scarce' sold for much more. But as they became more available prices stabilized. The last one or two I've seen for sale were in the 80-90 range, but some have sold for over a 100k, or even a 100K PLUS. I would expect the price to drop some on the first models when the second generation comes out, which should clearly be a better car.

I don't think there will be a significant price change to the new ones. Changes to the next model won't be 'visible' ones. It's to correct engineering\design problems with the first 100. Things like better alignment of the trans\drive shaft to rear end dynamics. Under hood heat has plaqued all of them, redesigning the exhaust should address that AND provide more 'free horse power'. There are underhood fans on the first generation whose SOLE purpose is to dissipate under hood heat from the headers. The wiring relays that control those fans seem to have 'melt down' problem.

Holiday Inn, "Platinum Member"...

Last edited by Excaliber; 05-26-2006 at 09:59 AM..
Old 05-26-2006, 09:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks.... So not $87,294?

I appreciate all your help!
Old 05-26-2006, 10:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 FIA
Not Ranked     

I'm with Ernie - where did this "limited to 100" come from? I can't imagine SPF spending all that R&D money and time, tooling money and time, and production money and time to build this new car, then limit themselves to 100 pieces.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:25 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The '100' number came around recently when B.J. auctioned off the 100th Coupe, a 'replica' of one of the original Coupes. Well, OK, it was the SAME COLOR, hardly anything near an 'accurate' replica of ANY of the original Coupes.

GREAT marketing that was! Touted as the 'last of it's kind', (uh, yeah I guess thats true with the new ones coming on), the 100th model, a 'celebration' of the originals, etc and blah blah blah. The car was sold for over $200K. If the buyer is happy, more power to him. Will that 100th 'replica\celebration' signed by Shelby Coupe hold it's value? Maybe, if the new owner can keep the 'hype' going, 'cause thats the ONLY reason it sold for that kind of money, in my opinion.

When the Mark II's start rolling in I wonder if it will be little more than 'last years' model when the smoke has cleared? Replica Cobras\Coupes should NEVER be considered an 'investment'.

Last edited by Excaliber; 05-26-2006 at 10:29 AM..
Old 05-26-2006, 10:51 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 389 427s/o
Not Ranked     

Neverwouldof:

Sellers are asking between 80k and 90k from the ones I have seen on the market. Not sure how much the one costs from Superformance. I think about the same.

These cars are only investments if you have nothing else to do with your money. By the time you factor in the insurance, maintenance, and storage costs any gain on the sale price of the car will be small. You may hit a homerun with someone. If you think you can then go for it.

These are "replica's" not the real deal. The cars with the real pedigree will be the ones that hold their value over the long haul.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

$80 - 90k is pretty thin air for a resale market for a used toy - with a lot of other choice of some neat exotics.

Enjoyment may be 9/10's anticipation, but that last 10% is oh so sweet....
Old 05-26-2006, 11:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm guessing insurance isn't exactly cheap... but if i buy a used car that has been titled. Will i have to go through all the headaches of titling process if i buy out of state?

My thoughts are buy used and keep it for a couple years and sell... if i can get a slightly used one around 85 and sell for 70 i'd be ok with that over two years.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I was at Carlisle a few weeks ago and there's no doubt that SPF has the most refined coupe out there - bar none. Yes, there are other vendors who make racing versions that are impressive, but the SPF is the most comfortable and streetable of them all. The exterioir is not exactly correct to the originals, but very nice. Now the big issue - price. 90K is a lot of coin for a car that has limited appeal. I love them, but most people "on the street" have no idea what a Shelby Daytona coupe is. Ask around your office... This severely limits the resale opportunity. And like Luke said - thin air my friend. the new Z06 'vette would probably spank this car and you can still drive it to work without causing a stir. It also probably depreciates faster!
But this is why I favor the less expensive coupes as a "toy" car. From a % loss standpoint, if you ever decide to sell, you'll mitigate the money you stand to possibly lose.

Just my $.10 :-)
Mike
Old 05-31-2006, 10:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Neverwouldof, thats exactly the right attitude toward these cars and replica Cobras. In general you can enjoy one of these 'toys' and NOT loose your shirt on re-sale. Compared to the typical re-sale value of a Mercedes, BMW, etc. replicas hold their value MUCH better. Uh, just don't call it an 'investment'. A 'rolling chassis' sells for about $64,000. You could spend another $20 or $30K getting a really nice engine, or 'save-a-lot' and go with a moderate 302 or 351.

The Coupe is force a to be reckoned with and a new Z06 will have it's hands full trying to keep up, and thats a FACT! A series of recent tests of the Coupe vs Z06 and Ford GT showed the Coupe could hang with the best of them. 1/4 mile, road race, 0-60, skid pad, etc, my money is on the Coupe. The Coupe used for testing was Peter Brocks personal ride, 351W bored\stroked to 427. NOT 'modified', just like you can buy from any SPF dealership. Drove it to the test site, drove it home!

The Coupe set NEW RECORDS for Road & Track in the Slalom and the Skid Pad. Read more here:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=3326

Last edited by Excaliber; 05-31-2006 at 10:48 AM..
Old 05-31-2006, 04:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber
Only building a 100? I don't think so. Whats really happening is their are some significant engineering changes coming to the next 100. Like a "Mark 1" and now a "Mark II" sort of thing.

NO investment opportunity here, nothing to see, move along folks...

SPF's in the 45 to 50K range no doubt cost MORE than that to build\buy in the first place. Their selling at a loss. Same thing for Kirkhams, you can drop a $100K in a hurry building one. Having a good re-sale value and recapturing most of your money is not exactly my definition of 'investment'.
Shelby endosed
Old 05-31-2006, 06:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Investment?

Here is my opinion, for what it is worth.
Replicas are only worth what it would take to reproduce, basically the sum of their parts and maybe some sweat. This is why you pay more for KMS, ERA, CCX, SPF, UM, etc.......they cost more out of the gate to build.
A FFR can be done up nicely for 30K, most sell there abouts or for less. A nice ERA will cost at least 45-50k to build and that is where they can be bought. SPF roadster would be 37K base, 6k for plant, 3k for trans, add an additioanl 3k for incedentals and you have 49k right where they sell at. The more extras you pile on the more the $$$ adds up.

If you want an investment such as a car you will need to buy an original with some sort of limited production and maybe even a glorious race history to help. Even then you will need to wait 25 years or more. SPF are great cars, I am not bashing anyone here, but they are readily available now and for some time into the future. I would think that would indicate my second verse to ring true.

If you have the dough buy one and drive it, you only go around once and most of us do not have 400k for a 289 original even more for the 427 car. What ever you buy all of the replica brands are great fun and topics for discussion at the gas pump, shows, or stop lights.
Jeff
Old 06-01-2006, 05:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPC Brock/Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe 51, Roush 427IR, also full custom 600+ HP Austin Healey and Ferrari Daytona spyder
Not Ranked     

Here's another voice on the subject. Monetary investment, no. Pleasure investment, yes. I have a SPF coupe with an aluminum Roush 427IR (8 stack fuel injection) and a Tremex TKO600 5 speed tranny. I've been to Factory Five's factory and looked long and hard at their product before choosing the SPF. It's not that there is anything wrong with the Factory Five, there isn't. But, it is a kit car that you can make into one nice race car whereas the SPF is one righteous fine street car that you can drive in traffic, in weather and in comfort. Candidly the two cars don't compete. They are for different venues. Although you can aggressively put the SPF on the track, a like engined FF is much lighter and hence quicker. You can drive the FF on the street but you wouldn't want to take it on a long trip or in weather. SPF resale, like anything else, what the market will bear. I think that as the car becomes better known to the automotive public and demand builds, they will reasonably hold their value unless owners get tired of them and start dumping them. Either way, not a monetary investment.

As to the Viper and Z06 having to watch out, you got that right! Just slip yourself into one off these babies and be amazed how quick, fast, and responsive they are. I own/owned Ferraris and other hi-po cars. I've raced sports racers in the SCCA and all in all, bang for the buck, the SPF coupe is the closest thing to a race car that you'll find and want to drive on the street.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: