Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Deep South Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/deep-south-cobra-club/)
-   -   Does your cobra backfire? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/deep-south-cobra-club/79517-does-your-cobra-backfire.html)

yamazee 06-06-2007 08:19 AM

Does your cobra backfire?

I have a (351) 392 stroker in my backdraft, it runs very good. every now and then it will hesitate a little. also every now and then when go through the gears and revs, if i have to back off of it, and its at 4k rpm or higher and you just let it come back down. on the way down it will back fire. is this a big deal, or is this something that is normal with a carburator? If this is normal carb function, I am going to fuel inject it, as it drives me crazy to hear my 50k car backfire like an old piece of junk. :CRY: :CRY:

cbreez 06-06-2007 08:37 AM

it's a function of your factory backdraft engineered, finely tuned exhaust system, guaranteed to leak where the tubes connect from the headers, underneath the hood. learn to live with it, or plan to spend a few hundred dollars to install a flange fix. there are older posts that talk about this problem.
good luck!

jay bentley 06-06-2007 08:43 AM

I would first rule out any type of exhaust leak. I had the popping noise/backfiring on deaceleration myself when I bought my car. In my case it turned out to be weber carb related. An exhaust leak can cause the same condition.

Jay

yamazee 06-06-2007 08:52 AM

weber carb related? funny mine has a weber on it too. what did you do to the carb to fix it?

jay bentley 06-06-2007 09:00 AM

If I remember correctly it was a lean condition causing the backfiring.

Jay

h2oman 06-06-2007 09:43 AM

Yamazee,
My BDR use to backfire when letting off the gas. Mine had slip on pipes that leaked very badly. I ended up doing a flanged upgrade not too long ago. Made all the difference. No more leaks, no more backfire at all. Well worth the time and money. :)

Here is the post on how I did it.
http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/backdraft-racing/78790-installing-exhaust-flanges.html

pmfranke 06-06-2007 10:04 AM

i have fi 351 and when it back fires i know its time to put a new colector gasket in and tighten it up really tight.

BigRed427 06-06-2007 10:13 AM

Tighten all manifold bolts as mentioned. I would also check spark plugs to make sure they are not fouled.
I had backfiring problems and after cleaning the driver's side plugs and turning the curb idle screws 1/4 turn 'in' she ran like a top..

Michael4yah 06-07-2007 03:42 PM

For all those running Weber carbs go to Keith Crafts forum. He talks about Cam lobe separation needing to be 14 degree or so. Webers are funny, they are usually mounted close to the port and need the right cam. Im no expert but KC has had some experience with this.
Michael

jdean 06-07-2007 04:54 PM

Yeah that makes sense on the Webers. Fuel injected cars also need about 114 LSA.

Michael4yah 06-07-2007 08:54 PM

Some have said that this cam thing is exactly what was wrong with the backfiring.

Rwillia4 06-07-2007 11:01 PM

backfiring is caused by two things happening: 1) an exhaust leak allowing oxygen into the exhaust, 2) unburned gas in the exhaust. Te two things causes a flame in the exhaust (backfire). The fixes are stop all the exhaust leaks or lean out the mixture (which could cause other problems)

rcassidy 06-08-2007 06:06 AM

By Chance could this be weather related? I get a backfire every once in a while, but only on 85+degree days. i.e when the air is warmer and less dense causing the motor to run slightly more rich. This doesn't happen in cooler weather and the engine tuner said I could afford to jet it down one step during the summer months if I wanted to as it would run slightly rich in the hot weather, but normal in the spring/fall type weather. Just a thought.

outlaw 06-08-2007 08:12 AM

h2oman? Nice article on the flange plate install. Where did you purchase the flange plates? Those should also work on my SV. I callled SV this morning asking if they had any "flange kits" for their cars. They do not but indicated they will talk about this at a company meeting. All the slip joint cars have this exhaust leakage problem. Its annoying and needs attention about every 6 months to keep the car even remotely quiet. Thanks for a great article!!!!

Outlaw

h2oman 06-08-2007 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by outlaw
h2oman? Nice article on the flange plate install. Where did you purchase the flange plates? Those should also work on my SV. I callled SV this morning asking if they had any "flange kits" for their cars. They do not but indicated they will talk about this at a company meeting. All the slip joint cars have this exhaust leakage problem. Its annoying and needs attention about every 6 months to keep the car even remotely quiet. Thanks for a great article!!!!

Outlaw

Thanks.
I bought the flange kit from Bill Littleton at www.gcperf.com. I think the cost with shipping was $140. Any of the other Backdraft dealers should have them as well.

Jay at www.vintage-motorsports.com
Reg at www.backdraftparts.com

yamazee 06-08-2007 10:00 AM

Well, I live in Florida, so its like 85 degrees pretty much every day. I talked to the guys at suncoast cobra and they seem to think its more of a problem with the exhast then the carbs. They are coming to get the car next week, and we will be upgrading to a flange type setup for the headers/side pipes. Hopefully that takes care of that problem.

Michael4yah 06-08-2007 10:19 AM

When it comes to backfiiring on an engine with webers check the cam lobe seraration 1st, it seems to be the more obvious thing. It aint normal for any engine to backfire. THe webers sit so close to the ports in most of these manifolds that its critical you have the right cam and timing.

ENTDOC 06-08-2007 12:08 PM

I would turn out the idle scews 1/2 turn more and see what happens. Make sure your timing is advanced 12-13 degrees.

trularin 06-08-2007 01:53 PM

I get it if the car sits, like through the winter, and then if you idle it and give it a rev.

It is fouled plugs in my case.

You need to check everything, exhaust first.

:D

geeman.6 06-08-2007 05:16 PM

Exhaust leaks. Mine does the same thing so when I'm next to some rice burner I back it off and put the fear of God in him...... Works every time. Life is good.